Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2014, 12:18 AM   #1

Used wrong TP....toilet blocked.

Doing well the past 2 days. I used the wrong toilet paper, though.
Yesterday could reach in and unclog.....but the blockage is beyond. I plan on having a Pot -O-John company empty black and gray water as needed. The level in the panel reads "low" , iow 2/3 still empty. Will the P.O.J. Company be able to pull all that is blocking out?
Zoeneens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:20 AM   #2

Port-O-John......
Old 08-28-2014, 12:46 AM   #3

I doubt they'll be able to suck it out, but I can understand your desperation.
I guess your best bet is to use a garden hose with a wand attached and keep at it. If your drain valve is stuck you could use a twist on valve on the outside to at least fill the tank up with water and then try to flush it out a few times.
But this is the first time I hear about tp causing a real issue, maybe something else went down that didn't belong there.
Here is a link to a recent thread reg. toilet paper on this forum http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...per-61850.html
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
I doubt they'll be able to suck it out, but I can understand your desperation.
I guess your best bet is to use a garden hose with a wand attached and keep at it. If your drain valve is stuck you could use a twist on valve on the outside to at least fill the tank up with water and then try to flush it out a few times.
But this is the first time I hear about tp causing a real issue, maybe something else went down that didn't belong there.
Here is a link to a recent thread reg. toilet paper on this forum http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...per-61850.html

The water in the bowl won't go down at all. And I reached in as far as I could...the blockage is lower. I do have a black tank flush system outside...but need a "sewer" for the stuff to go.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:55 AM   #5

I could get further into the tank with a hose from the toilet? What is a "wand"?
Old 08-28-2014, 01:12 AM   #6

Oh boy, you're in trouble.
If you could get the guys to stick around and try to suck and then fill up and flush a few times but it could easily take an hour or more and it might cost more than driving to the next sani dump where you could take all the time you need.
Make sure they use a breather on their suction hose or else they will do a lot of damage to your system.
But remember the drain valves are blade valves and you don't want to force it shut and wedge something in that could damage it or keep it from closing properly, so using a twist on valve on the outside is probably still a viable option. You definitely need patience.
Even though it's not the prettiest topic, I'm curious how you'll get it fixed.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoeneens View Post
I could get further into the tank with a hose from the toilet? What is a "wand"?
http://www.amazon.ca/Valterra-Produc...tic+rinse+wand

You can also find it at RV dealerships and maybe even Walmart.

Also if the tank is not completely full, you could try and dump a couple bags of ice in the toilet and water and then take the trailer for a spin. The ice in combination with water can work wonders on caked on stuff.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:39 AM   #8

Now I'm scared...this is a destination trailer so it stays and the help comes to us. Would a plumber know what to do? i'll try the ice, but have to empty the bowl first.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:52 AM   #9

You probably have a (WATER) prob. not a Paper issue! First Forget the gauge,next use lots of water after using the Toilet. Saving water and (Black Tanks) is a Recipe for disaster! Call the Honey Wagon and hook up while using the Black tank flush,it will be a Slow process but it can be done! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:58 AM   #10

So wait, I'm confused--you're hooked up to a sewer line at your site, or no? And if you are, what's happening when you pull your black tank valve? Like nothing comes out? When you say that the water won't go down at all--so is the tank full? Like someone said, your sensors could be lying to you. So what happens when you try to dump--that's the first question...

2 types of TP are usable: "RV" toilet paper and Scott tissue. That's it...
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Now I'm scared...this is a destination trailer so it stays and the help comes to us. Would a plumber know what to do? i'll try the ice, but have to empty the bowl first.
What (Scares Me) is you are wanting to put in a W/Dryer? If you depend on a Honey Dipper to supply your sewer needs,You better have (LOTS) of ($$$$) and you will become Very good Friends with them! Youroo!!PS use the Ice in a Drink of your choice,dont waste it in the black tank!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:05 AM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
You probably have a (WATER) prob. not a Paper issue! First Forget the gauge,next use lots of water after using the Toilet. Saving water and (Black Tanks) is a Recipe for disaster! Call the Honey Wagon and hook up while using the Black tank flush,it will be a Slow process but it can be done! Youroo!!
Agree with youroo, unless you're using newspaper, it is a lack of water issue when flushing. Best thing to do is just use a trash can for the paper and empty it daily and only put poo, pee and water in the toilet.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:16 AM   #13

I've been in this thing for 6 days. I have not been using a lot of water when flushing, so tgat is ne mistake.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:21 AM   #14

First mistake I meant. This is my home. I called the dealership. There are port-o-Johns on the property, so the service comes here weekly. Please be kind. I am a recent widow and had to my house. I am doing thus all on my own.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:22 AM   #15

Sell my house.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:27 AM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
First mistake I meant. This is my home. I called the dealership. There are port-o-Johns on the property, so the service comes here weekly. Please be kind. I am a recent widow and had to my house. I am doing thus all on my own.
Sorry for your loss.
This must be hard for you.

kudos to you for venturing into this lifestyle.

Hang around here we'll get you all fixed up.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:36 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

After speed reading through these posts, if I understand correctly, your bowl won't flush, but the tank is empty? So the blockage is between bowl and tank? If that's the case, all you can do is get in there with something to break up the clog, like a plumber's snake.

After that, you want that toilet paper to break down, so add water, which you'll be able to after you break up the clog, or through the outside tank rinser hookup you have, and let it sit, and sit, and sit.... If you can, let it sit for a few days. Eventually the stuff will break down, it just needs time. I've also read that RV-Digest-It can help, but I haven't used it myself so I don't know.

If you're in a destination trailer than the ice isn't going to help. The trailer needs to be moving to slosh the ice around inside the tank and let it bang up against the walls. Can't do that with a trailer that doesn't move.

Instead, in the future you'll have to rely on lots of water, and lots of pump outs (if you don't have sewer). Over time, once whatever's in there has broken down, you'll eventually get used to right balance of water to keep your 'stuff' underwater, but not too much so you can go longer between pump outs, but it's going to take time and a lot of trial and error.

I hope you get your issues fixed.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:38 AM   #18
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Never really seen a permanent spot without full hookups.
That's weird.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
Old 08-28-2014, 08:44 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Never really seen a permanent spot without full hookups.
That's weird.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
My parent's seasonal site is like that. Power only. They have a dump station on site, and they fill their fresh water from community spigots with long hoses.

But they only pay $700 a year + hydro.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:06 AM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I think you should probably invest in a "blue tote" for future dumping when the turd Hurst isn't available.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"