Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #1

using the water pump with a city water connection

We just got a 2006 25DD and finally were able to take it out this past weekend for the first time. Everything was great, but I did come back with a question -

The fresh water tank was showing 2/3 full when we got to the campground. I hooked up to the city water supply (with a pressure regulator). I had the water pump turned on, and it ran when you would expect it to (using the sink, shower, etc.). On the second night of the trip, while cleaning up after dinner, the pump came on and stayed on. I figured it was because the water tank was empty, so I turned off the pump and went out to refill the tank. Then everything worked again as you would expect.

I thought the water came from the tank and was constantly refilled by the water connection. Is this not the case? If not, does the water pump need to be on if there is a water connection? Or does the water pump only get used if 'free camping'?

Thanks for any advice you guys can throw at me!
paldss305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

You don't use the water pump when hooked to city water.

Only when you don't have city water to hookup to and you've filled your tank.

They city water connection should not fill yoir fw tank there should be a separate port for that.

If your city water is connected and is filling your fw tank you have other issues.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130318_162551.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	25879
Old 03-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #4

If you are on city water the water pump should not come on. The pump only comes on when the water pressure drops. If you are not on city water and using the pump, if the pumps keeps cycling when you are not running water then you most likely have a leak in the system.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Its also possible that the check valve on the city water inlet is stuck to . which would only allow fw tank water to be used .

try hooking up city water and leave the water pump off ...
you should have water throughout the camper .

If not then your city water inlet check valve is stuck closed.

TURBS
Old 03-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #6

I do have the two water connections as shown in f1100turbo's picture above. I was connected to the city water, and had 2/3 tank full in the tank. The pump only came on when you would expect it to, so I don't think there is a problem.

I guess I thought that either the city water flowed through the tank and kept it full, or the city water somehow took priority over the tank so the fresh water would not be used. It seems like I had it backwards.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
paldss305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:12 PM   #7

If you are on city water it takes priority. You should not have to use the water in the fresh water tank. The water pump should be turned off when on city water.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
Explorer

hopefully helpful

Don’t feel bad, I sold a camper 2yrs ago and I have gotten 6 or 8 phone calls each year trying to help him understand the different systems(FW tank vs city water, 120AC vs 12DC vs generator, tv vs cable vs satellite, grey water vs black water, electrical breaker vs fuse, propane vs 120AC). I sold the camper with all the original paper work that walks you through all the systems but I still try to help. I was raised camping and never thought campers were so complex until I had to explain them to someone with no experience.
Like everyone else said, you have two inlets on the side of your camper and each is for a different purpose. The inlet that has no connection, you just put a hose in, is for the FW tank and used when you don’t have a city water pressure hooked up. In this system, you get that water out of the tank using the camper’s 12V DC water pump. The other inlet has a female hose pressure fitting and is for city water pressure and yes you should use a pressure valve. In most campers the city pressure inlet will not fill your FW tank, some campers have a valve to fill. When using city water pressure I turn off the FW tank pump.
On occasion(only ever done this 3 or 4 times), when the city water pressure is low and I want to take a shower I will turn the FW tank pump on too and run both systems. This at least gets me the standard pressure I would get from my FW tank pump.
For an added tip: always make sure the FW tank pump is off before towing even before leaving the camper for several hours. I have nightmares about forgetting to turn it off and a water fitting coming loose while bouncing down the road; 48gl of water on the floor of the camper and a burned out water pump.
Hope this helps,
John
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:22 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

This could happen if:

1) City water pressure is lower (or OFF) than the freshwater pump pressure "pump on" setting

2) The city water intake screen is so rusted or clogged with mud it is slowing or preventing flow on demand. (this looks like it might be the case from the photo) - change it; they are cheap.

3) The City water intake check valve is stuck closed and due to the fresh water pump pressure is preventing it from opening.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote