Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2017, 10:23 AM   #1

Wall anchors in shower wall?

The screws that hold the shower head bracket keep loosening. Is the wall thick enough to use a plastic Sheetrock anchor? Any other ideas?

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:26 AM   #2
Weekend Warrior

Gorilla Glue
KyleStout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:39 AM   #3

use a toggle bolt

mkosu04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
The screws that hold the shower head bracket keep loosening. Is the wall thick enough to use a plastic Sheetrock anchor? Any other ideas?
this is more in the category of "other ideas", ... our holding bracket isn't loose, but is mounted way too high for a short little DW, .... solution was the suction cup brackets from WM, ...but they must be mounted on a smooth flat surface for good suction and the shower wall isn't, .... so I cut a piece from a 5" vinyl post, attached with stainless screws and now we have an area large enough for adjusting the height and position until everybody(she) is happy, ... yes they do come loose about twice a year, but we just clean the plate area, stick the suction cup under warm water and attach, .... good for another six months, ... we stick the shower head in the original holder while traveling, ... works good for us and DW is happy with this setup, ....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0573.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	135359  

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:52 PM   #5
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
That's what I did along with some clear silicone RTV adhesive/sealant and so far so good a year later.

2015 Palomino Sabre 33CKTS - Platinum Edition - Progressive Industries EMS HW50C - JT Strong Arm Stabilizers - Ground Control 3.0 - 320 Watt Solar with 2000 Watt Inverter
RubyDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:04 PM   #6

Have used small star wall anchors since walls only have 1 1/4 inch space. I use the star because they spread out in 4 directions and won't fall off when screw removed. Another benefit is a longer screw can be used being mindful of other wall, you only poke through one time and she saw it.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:07 PM   #7

I just used the plastic screw holders that speed out when the screw is inserted in too long cut off to fit
RAYSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:29 PM   #8

screw anchors in thin walls

I had luck using epoxy with the plastic screw anchors (sheet rock anchors)
daveinthekeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:43 PM   #9

You might try a slightly larger screw. I have had very good results with sheet metal screws since they have large threads. Be very careful as you turn them in so you don't over tighten them and strip them. I usually use a #8 screw and it has held well. If that doesn't work, you can put wooden toothpicks or matches in the hole with glue and then put the screw back in. A strong glue to use is JB wood epoxy, but, it sets up pretty quickly. Practice with it first. Otherwise use regular wood glue. Since the wall is so thin, you don't need much in the way of length for your toothpicks or matchsticks. Also, you may need to drill a very small pilot hole in the patch if the screw doesn't start easily. I found this method to work really well and it doesn't wreck your wall.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:48 PM   #10

Glue plastic anchor into wall.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 01:13 PM   #11

Fixed. Used plastic wall anchors and all is well. Thanks everyone.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2021: 35 nights already booked so far
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
this is more in the category of "other ideas", ... our holding bracket isn't loose, but is mounted way too high for a short little DW, .... solution was the suction cup brackets from WM, ...but they must be mounted on a smooth flat surface for good suction and the shower wall isn't, .... so I cut a piece from a 5" vinyl post, attached with stainless screws and now we have an area large enough for adjusting the height and position until everybody(she) is happy, ... yes they do come loose about twice a year, but we just clean the plate area, stick the suction cup under warm water and attach, .... good for another six months, ... we stick the shower head in the original holder while traveling, ... works good for us and DW is happy with this setup, ....
Alittle off topic here.... How do you get your RV Shower head to point in the direction you want? Ours is a new camper and it's always pointing towards the glass part of the shower instead of to the middle of the shower.... I know you good people will laugh and have any easy fix... Thanks Debbie/DW
jdstrubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrubel View Post
Alittle off topic here.... How do you get your RV Shower head to point in the direction you want? Ours is a new camper and it's always pointing towards the glass part of the shower instead of to the middle of the shower.... I know you good people will laugh and have any easy fix... Thanks Debbie/DW
I would say the answer to that is the #4 post that you quoted, ... that mod allows us to set the shower head at the most comfortable height and orientation for each of us, .... the factory position of the shower head is just uncomfortable for us, maybe not for everybody, but for us it is(its almost touching the ceiling) and we like being able to set it the way we want, ............

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrubel View Post
You just need to loosen the connector, turn the head towards the inner wall and tighten it back up. You can also twist the shower head/hose into a figure eight and reinsert.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
show, shower