Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #1

Waste Tank Repairs

First time user here.

I've just recently purchased a 1977 Prowler that sits in a trailer park. It has an add-a-room attached so it's not going anywhere. The toilet, shower and sink are all connected to the parks septic system. The toilets waste tank under the trailer has a leak in it. I'd like to remove the waste tank and install a pipe that goes from the toilet directly to the septic pipe. I've looked for manuals to see what I'm faced with, but manuals, as you all know, are hard to come by.
Is the waste tank glued to the toilet? Is it clamped? Should it come apart easily? Is the tank also connected to the shower drain? It looks like the waste tank is held in place to the trailer with a piece of angle-iron, with bolts on either side. I'm thinking that when I undo the bolts I should be able to remove the tank. Are there any other connections that I need to undo?

Questions,questions. Answers are very much appreciated.
Nordog14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:39 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordog14
First time user here.

I've just recently purchased a 1977 Prowler that sits in a trailer park. It has an add-a-room attached so it's not going anywhere. The toilet, shower and sink are all connected to the parks septic system. The toilets waste tank under the trailer has a leak in it. I'd like to remove the waste tank and install a pipe that goes from the toilet directly to the septic pipe. I've looked for manuals to see what I'm faced with, but manuals, as you all know, are hard to come by.
Is the waste tank glued to the toilet? Is it clamped? Should it come apart easily? Is the tank also connected to the shower drain? It looks like the waste tank is held in place to the trailer with a piece of angle-iron, with bolts on either side. I'm thinking that when I undo the bolts I should be able to remove the tank. Are there any other connections that I need to undo?

Questions,questions. Answers are very much appreciated.
Welcome to frf!
Wow you'll be lucky if anyone has any info on a 77
Your best bet is to tear into it imo.
Good luck !
Ron
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
Site Team

you might have better luck if you found a Fleetwood Owner's group, since the Prowler was made by Fleetwood, not Forest River.

there might be some current Prowler owners there.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #4

Sewer

I would remove tank and toilet. Then install a house toilet.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #5

First and foremost empty tank and clean it out the best you can.

step 1 (simple part) if you unbolt the toilet there is a rubber seal between the toilet and the floor flange.

step 2 the floor flange is either screwed into a fitting on the tank or glued onto it. It all depends, none of this is RV manufacturer dependent. If its glued you will have to cut the flange off at floor level for it to come down when you remove the tank.

step 3 there will also be a vent stack attached to the tank, more than likely glued on, this will need cut at floor level as well.

Step 4 either unbolt the drain valve assembly where you dump your tanks or cut the pipe.

step 5 remove bolts holding tank up, and remove it.

When dealing with these things they really are not RV brand specific, all parts are the same it just depends on what was used at the time. Mine connectors were all glued in my 84' Yellowstone that I am redoing the bathroom in due to wood rot in the corner of the camper and floor.

Once all this is out get a new floor flange, and install it in the floor, then get whatever 3" fittings and pipe you need to get to the CG sewer system, remember your camper toilet does not have a trap in it. Therefore sewer gasses may be able to come up. Not real sure if the valve in the toilet is sufficient at controlling this.

If original toilet will not control sewer gas, get a house style toilet and 4" floor flange and connectors and pipe. (I think its 4" anyway)

https://rvpdi.com
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:15 PM   #6

Re: Answers

Thanks everyone. I thought after the first reply, hey, that's probably what I need to do. Just dig in. But, I was sure that someone, somewhere knew a bit about these things. Acableguy06 has given me a great starting point. I'll also be asking a couple of the workers at the park.
bikendan...i did google for a group but mostly found more of these trailers for sale than any useful info on them.
papap...... Now, wouldn't that be comfortable
Nordog14 is offline   Reply With Quote