Old 08-30-2016, 01:06 PM   #21
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoodtraveler View Post
How much Calgon water softener do you add? Liquid? What size are your tanks? I keep mine pretty clean but the sensors are off so must be some crud on them. I do have the clear connectors for the drain hose and luckily have a built in tank flush system which I use.
Here's a link to the Geo Method that uses Calgon Water Softener (not fabric softener)
https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/

Calgon is getting VERY hard to find up here in Canada.

2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)
2009 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 5.4L, 4x4, 5'6" bed (2012 - 2016)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 03:33 PM   #22

Just water in them, maybe 2 gallons.

Old 08-30-2016, 04:05 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
He leaves his RV at the campground. I'm guessing he is seasonal.
I missed that part.

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:09 AM   #24

Quote:
Just water in them, maybe 2 gallons.
That might be ok in CA,,,
But not a good idea here in the North Country !!!
Old 08-31-2016, 02:37 PM   #25

GEO Method

Quote:
How much Calgon water softener do you add? Liquid? What size are your tanks? I keep mine pretty clean but the sensors are off so must be some crud on them. I do have the clear connectors for the drain hose and luckily have a built in tank flush system which I use.
I buy the 32 oz bottles of liquid Calgon water softener at Walmart. I have found that not all Walmart's carry it, however it is available through Amazon. My grey and black tanks are both 38 gallons in size and I use 1/2 of the bottle in each tank.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:11 PM   #26
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff34 View Post
I buy the 32 oz bottles of liquid Calgon water softener at Walmart. I have found that not all Walmart's carry it, however it is available through Amazon. My grey and black tanks are both 38 gallons in size and I use 1/2 of the bottle in each tank.
We have 40 gallon tanks. I use a standard laundry load of Softener (1 CAP full) and Detergent (1 cap full or scoop - depending on what you use).

I have used the gel packs in a pinch, BUT they contain fabric SOFTENER which is a WAX and it can, over time, coat your sensors and lead to other problems.

You may be thinking of the Unique RV-Digest-It (or Rid-X) winterization treatment where I use 1/2 quart in each tank, fill them with water, and let it sit for 3 or more days.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:38 AM   #27

I hear you. Lived in Boston for 7 years. Grew weary of the snow so moved back to the beach near San Diego. Freezing weather is a thing of the past for us.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:11 AM   #28

Quote:
That seams like a lot of Calgon ???
We us a cap full ??? we also only put soft water in our MH !!!
Old 09-01-2016, 07:24 AM   #29

Quote:
No idea where you live,,, but we also find it @ Meijer stores !!!
Old 09-10-2016, 05:36 PM   #30

Amazed at some of the methods (moff34) Makes me feel like a slacker. This is what works for me. For one, even with a great water filter system, we almost always drink bottled water. I don't pay too much attention to my fresh tank although I like to keep it near full because I use my 5ver for extra guest accommodations when home.
When I get to a campground I usually pull through the dump/fill before setting up camp.
1. Fill my fresh water tank (if the water has been in there for more than 30 days, I run it all out then fill).
2. Dump my grey tanks (2) from the shower and galley in case they were used at home by guests.
3. Dump and rinse black tank until clear. Shut dump valve and let the rinse continue for a couple more minutes (depends on the water pressure) to put 5-10 gallons of water in the black tank. Then as soon as I set up I add some Chems (the blue stuff) to the black tank.
4. When I leave, I try to do so when there is no one waiting at the dump station so as not to inconvenience anyone. Then I do the regular things, dump my grey tanks, dump and rinse the black tank until clear, close the black dump while the rinse is running to put another 5 gallons or so in to slosh around while headed home. I don't do anything to my grey tanks other than dump them. Never had any problems. I don't have to winterize because it usually doesn't get that cold if I'm home in the winter. My RV is parked in a 20 X 48 so I just keep it plugged in with the heat pump set on 40 and the A/C set on 85. I keep the refrigerator on also. Seems to eliminate all my problems and everything kicks on occasionally.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank