Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2016, 12:48 PM   #1

Waste tanks --- full or empty?

I couldn't find a link addressing this. When we leave the RV at the campground and head home, we dump all tanks and flush black tank. I'm hearing a strain of thought that recommends dumping, cleaning, then filling with clean water and letting it sit until we return so the 'stuff' in the tanks don't dry out.
Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Larry Tiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 01:23 PM   #2
Site Team

I never refill my tanks with clean water or anything else after I dump when leaving a campground. I DO add 5 gallons or so of water to my black tank.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 02:01 PM   #3

Thanks, Mr. Dan. I never thought about leaving it empty would dry out the residuals. 5 gallons sounds good to me.

Old 08-28-2016, 02:38 PM   #4
Site Team

I also do the same as Mr. Dan.

I don't think it would hurt to refill the tanks but it's added weight (not a problem for most people) but then you have full tanks to deal with at the start of your trip.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 04:05 PM   #5

We always dump, rinse, then add a few gallons with chemicals to the black tank. Also dump a little of the yellow gray tank deodorizer in all the drains.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 04:35 PM   #6

Great tips! Thanks!!

Old 08-28-2016, 04:52 PM   #7

Tanks

We dump rinse and dump.

When the tank is drained we add a few gallons and some Tank Tech RX. All seems good using this method.
SkipBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:01 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

I always leave a few gallons of water in the black and gray tanks during the season with 1 laundry load of detergent and 1 laundry load of Calgon water Softener.

When I winterize, I add 1/2 quart of RV-Digest-It (by Unique) to each tank and fill them to the top and let them sit for 72 hours or more; then dump and turbo rinse (I installed one on my gray tank, too).

My tanks are link new, don't smell, and (with Horst probes) the tank monitoring systems work flawlessly.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:06 AM   #9
Site Team

X2 on dump completely when leaving. Once home I add 3-4gals of water and a an oz of Rid-x to help decompose anything that may be left. When I winterize in the fall, I add 10 gal of water and some Odoban and let sit for a few days before I drain and winterize.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:06 AM   #10

After dumping at the campground, I dump 5 gallons of water into the black tank with laundry soap and let it slosh around on the trip home. I then drain it and fill it with water and drain it again; and store it with both gray and black tanks empty.

I use the geo method and never had issues with tank smell or dried waste in the black tank.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:58 AM   #11

We use the Geo Method as well and don't add any extra water to the black tank after dumping. I do this because one of my RV's in the past has had a paltry 23 (or was it 28?) gallon black tank and if I added ~5 gallons I'd have lost almost 20% of my holding capacity before I even started camping.

One of the main reasons we bought a RV in the 1st place was to have our own bathroom so we use the tanks to the max almost every time we go camping. I don't put much thought into the "dummy" light gauges. I turn off the pump, push down on the toilet foot pedal and see how my space is there ... just don't do this right before dinner

my two cents ...
Old 08-29-2016, 08:17 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Adding a few gallons to start is just good insurance to prevent the dreaded "Tower of Doom" under your drop tube into the tank.

A dry tank will allow that first flush to stick to the bottom starting the tower.

Subsequent uses will keep the tower going and at dump time, the push from the water might not completely clean the floor allowing it to dry out and build a solid base for future troubles.

Ounce (or gallon) of prevention...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:50 PM   #13
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
I don't think it would hurt to refill the tanks but it's added weight (not a problem for most people) but then you have full tanks to deal with at the start of your trip.
He leaves his RV at the campground. I'm guessing he is seasonal.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:55 PM   #14
code.org

Grey & Black tank cleaning

To aid in keeping our tanks clean, I installed a sewer drain connection next to my storage pad at home. It has been a great investment. A clear sewer connection elbow is also a critical part of the process as I know how many refill / flushes of the black tank it takes before the water runs clear.

When camping, prior to what I know will be our final dump before leaving, I add Calgon water softener. On moving day, I dump the black tank, refill / flush five times, then dump the grey tank. I then fill both tanks to 1/3 full and add Calgon water softener and three Tide laundry pods to each tank for the drive home.

During the drive home both tanks get a thorough cleaning from the agitated water, water softener, and laundry detergent mix.

Upon arrival at home I immediately hook up to my sewer connection and drain the black tank. I am always amazed at how much more crud flows out even though I flushed the tank 5 times immediately before leaving the campground. I turn on the tank flushing hose and continue refilling and dumping until the water runs clear, usually about 3 more times. I then dump the grey tank and run water in the sinks refilling and dumping until the water runs clear. I leave the drain hose attached for an hour or more with both dump valves open to make sure they are thoroughly drained then close everything up until the next trip.

After 25 years of motor homes and trailers this method, continually modified over the years, has served us well.
moff34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
We always dump, rinse, then add a few gallons with chemicals to the black tank. Also dump a little of the yellow gray tank deodorizer in all the drains.
X2
TandSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:48 PM   #16

If we're going out again soon, I'll dump 5 gallons or so and some cleaner in the black tank. I let it sit and swoosh around to and from the CG's, then dump it at the CG.
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Tiner View Post
I couldn't find a link addressing this. When we leave the RV at the campground and head home, we dump all tanks and flush black tank. I'm hearing a strain of thought that recommends dumping, cleaning, then filling with clean water and letting it sit until we return so the 'stuff' in the tanks don't dry out.
Any thoughts?

Black tank should never be empty. Even after draining, you should be adding the chemical and a gallon or so of water (whatever the chemical instructions state). Even during the winter I have RV antifreeze in there.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 01:32 AM   #18

Thank y'all for the input. Took notes.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:14 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
He leaves his RV at the campground. I'm guessing he is seasonal.
Seams like most missed that ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:26 PM   #20

Waste Tanks ---full or empty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff34 View Post
To aid in keeping our tanks clean, I installed a sewer drain connection next to my storage pad at home. It has been a great investment. A clear sewer connection elbow is also a critical part of the process as I know how many refill / flushes of the black tank it takes before the water runs clear.

When camping, prior to what I know will be our final dump before leaving, I add Calgon water softener. On moving day, I dump the black tank, refill / flush five times, then dump the grey tank. I then fill both tanks to 1/3 full and add Calgon water softener and three Tide laundry pods to each tank for the drive home.

During the drive home both tanks get a thorough cleaning from the agitated water, water softener, and laundry detergent mix.

Upon arrival at home I immediately hook up to my sewer connection and drain the black tank. I am always amazed at how much more crud flows out even though I flushed the tank 5 times immediately before leaving the campground. I turn on the tank flushing hose and continue refilling and dumping until the water runs clear, usually about 3 more times. I then dump the grey tank and run water in the sinks refilling and dumping until the water runs clear. I leave the drain hose attached for an hour or more with both dump valves open to make sure they are thoroughly drained then close everything up until the next trip.

After 25 years of motor homes and trailers this method, continually modified over the years, has served us well.
How much Calgon water softener do you add? Liquid? What size are your tanks? I keep mine pretty clean but the sensors are off so must be some crud on them. I do have the clear connectors for the drain hose and luckily have a built in tank flush system which I use.
wildwoodtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank