Old 05-17-2014, 10:37 AM   #1

Water coming out fresh water fill cap

I have water coming out of our fresh water fill cap when hooked up to city water system. This is on 2013 8282WS Rockwood 5th wheel. I have a water pressure regulator on the city fill hose. Anyone know how to fix, is the water pump leaking back? Is there a check valve in the system to keep the city water system from back filling the fresh water tank? See photo below
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RM5A5845.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	52611  

Old 05-17-2014, 10:49 AM   #2

Yes your pump is bypassing,do a (Search) LOTs of Info! Youroo!!

Old 05-17-2014, 10:56 AM   #3

yes your water pump is allowing water to flow into the fresh water tank. There is some type of debris in the pump holding it slightly open. Take it apart and clean it up and you should be fine.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:09 AM   #4
Campfire Master

Try disconnecting from the city water and turning on the pump. Open a faucet inside and let it run for a few minutes. That may flush out any debris in the pump and allow the check valve to seat. If that doesn't work, as Brother Les said, you'll have to take it apart, possibly have to replace it.

John
Old 05-17-2014, 08:57 PM   #5

Seems like I saw in another post that there is a check valve in the system to prevent water from going into the holding tank while on city water. It sounds like it has failed.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 05-17-2014, 10:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by f150k View Post
I have water coming out of our fresh water fill cap when hooked up to city water system. This is on 2013 8282WS Rockwood 5th wheel. I have a water pressure regulator on the city fill hose. Anyone know how to fix, is the water pump leaking back? Is there a check valve in the system to keep the city water system from back filling the fresh water tank? See photo below
The pump discharge check valve is blowing through is the culprit. I believe Shurflo has a two year warranty, need to contact the dealer or Shurflo so you don't ruin the deal by opening it. Just for info the pump is defective or city pressure at one point or another over pressurized and distorted the valve disc. The fill valve doesn't have an additional check in it, only the city pressure fitting.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:50 PM   #7

I have always used a water pressure regulator on the city water hose. I tried shutting off the city water and than running the water pump and so far our fresh water tank is not filling. Maybe there was just something in the line.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:56 PM   #8

Now turn the City water back on and see if it fills your F/W tank. Youroo!!
Old 05-17-2014, 11:05 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

I posted this pic in another thread. As you can see there are 3 rotor pumps in the pump head and the check valve. The valves are small and it does not take much to hold one open.

Back flushing by running the pump with an open faucet normally will clear it unless the valve has torn. Then replacement of the pump head (or total pump) is your only option.

I would not recommend opening the pump head; but if running the water pump does not fix it (AND its out of warranty), you are looking at a rebuild/replacement anyway so it can't hurt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shurflo Pump IPB.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	52660  
Attached Images

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
I posted this pic in another thread. As you can see there are 3 rotor pumps in the pump head and the check valve. The valves are small and it does not take much to hold one open.

Back flushing by running the pump with an open faucet normally will clear it unless the valve has torn. Then replacement of the pump head (or total pump) is your only option.

I would not recommend opening the pump head; but if running the water pump does not fix it (AND its out of warranty), you are looking at a rebuild/replacement anyway so it can't hurt.

The last picture will not load for me. Can you upload it again? Thanks
Does anyone have a picture or know of a check valve that is in the city water connection that would be restricting flow any?

Tags
fresh water, water