Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-24-2011, 12:52 AM   #1

Water damage - 32ft bh FEMA trailer

Ok when I bought this camper I was unaware that it was a FEMA. I didnt know a lot about campers and I still don't. I do k ow that I got what seemed like a great deal at 4k for this camper....however today we opened up the cabinets in the bedroom and seen a lot of water and moldy fuzz stuff growing. I do not know how long it has been there but it was not there 2 months ago when I bought it.

Here's what I got..

So this is what I got...we immediately ripped the cabinets out and took the carpet up....I cut out the wood that was mushy and the wood that is just dark from being wet I am thinking I will treat that wood and replace the wood I cut out but only after I know I have fixed the cause. Here is a picture of what I believe caused all of this...the front of the camper where the water runs right down on this seal. The caulk here is all dried up and flaking out. It looks like no one has ever maintnenced this camper. The damage is limited to the front of the camper and the wet wood is no higher than 4 inches from the floor..so the leak is definatl not from the roof. I plan to let this wood dry out and cut out the peices that are weak and rotten. Will this be ok? We plan to cover the damage with wainscoting all around the bedroom rather than try to replace the entire panel of the walls.we will of course have to get new carpet and replace the wood floor squares that I cut out. My question is am I doing the right thing? I'm a newb and I do not have any experience with this. Any suggestions? Below is pic of where the water is getting in...at least I hope

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:34 AM   #2

rotted wood

If it were me.. i would get rid of anything that has been WET !! and make sure there is no rotted wood behind what you cant see...re seal the roof if that trailer is over 5 years old.. Re caulk all outside seams...And get some advice from someone that has fixed these before, Good luck
dretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:23 AM   #3

From your last picture, it looks like the outside is metal? If so, start removing all of the sheets until you find dry framing and insulation. Your camper probably has fibreglass insulation, and it will be soaking wet.
With all of the FEMA trailers around, any deal too good to be true, is likely a FEMA.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretired View Post
If it were me.. i would get rid of anything that has been WET !! and make sure there is no rotted wood behind what you cant see...re seal the roof if that trailer is over 5 years old.. Re caulk all outside seams...And get some advice from someone that has fixed these before, Good luck
I removed a lot of the wood that has been wet. The corners were the worst. Some of the supporting boards underneath were a little wet but not a lot. I am going to go around and re seal the entire camper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
From your last picture, it looks like the outside is metal? If so, start removing all of the sheets until you find dry framing and insulation. Your camper probably has fibreglass insulation, and it will be soaking wet.
With all of the FEMA trailers around, any deal too good to be true, is likely a FEMA.
The only parts that got wet is the very bottom in the front. About four inches from the floor as I rip out the wall I find totally dry wood.

When I was camper shopping I didn't know anything about FEMA campers. I dont k ow if this is totally the campers fault. All of the seams outside have dried up, old caulk flaking out. If anyone had ever taken the time to inspect the Sean and re seal them I'm sure I would not have this problem. I'll post more pics along the way.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:09 AM   #5

What year and Make is the trailer. Also, are you going to be towing it around or will it be placed on a permenant site? If you're going to be towing it, be aware that if you start remodeling the inside with better quality materials such as wainscoting, heavier lumber, better carpet & padding etc. you will be adding weight to the trailer.

Also, since FEMA trailers were placed on devestated homeowners properties they were plumbed directly to water and sewer. So, does it have holding tanks (fresh water, grey & black)? I looked at one once, like you $4,500, but it had no tanks.

Sounds like you have enough knowledge to fix the problems and should look a whole lot better when you're done.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
What year and Make is the trailer. Also, are you going to be towing it around or will it be placed on a permenant site? If you're going to be towing it, be aware that if you start remodeling the inside with better quality materials such as wainscoting, heavier lumber, better carpet & padding etc. you will be adding weight to the trailer.

Also, since FEMA trailers were placed on devestated homeowners properties they were plumbed directly to water and sewer. So, does it have holding tanks (fresh water, grey & black)? I looked at one once, like you $4,500, but it had no tanks.

Sounds like you have enough knowledge to fix the problems and should look a whole lot better when you're done.

It is going on a permanent site on the Ohio river near Cincinnati. It will only travel twice a year. In the winter we will pull it out due to flooding. I plan to just use a 50 gallon portable tank and each weekend empty the water not the septic system under the trailer. There is a shower house at the camp site I will use most of the time. The wainscoting will add some weight but I don't think it will be too much. Were only doing the bedroom. Right now I just wish it would stop raining so I can get this caulking done and see if the problem is solved. I don't want to start putting it back together until I know the water leak has stopped.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
It is going on a permanent site on the Ohio river near Cincinnati. It will only travel twice a year. In the winter we will pull it out due to flooding. I plan to just use a 50 gallon portable tank and each weekend empty the water not the septic system under the trailer. There is a shower house at the camp site I will use most of the time. The wainscoting will add some weight but I don't think it will be too much. Were only doing the bedroom. Right now I just wish it would stop raining so I can get this caulking done and see if the problem is solved. I don't want to start putting it back together until I know the water leak has stopped.
Sounds like you got the situation well covered and ditto on the rain, same here. We cancelled our trip this weekend because of it (plus the campground would be a soggy mess). Did de-winterize it and do some minor work inside the trailer during the rainy periods instead. At least that's done. Now when we do get out, I can just set up and enjoy.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:22 PM   #8

So I cut out the boards that were soggy and the rest are solid just a little damp. Also cut out a piece in the center of the room to make sure the boards underneath and insulation was in good shape. It is. The insulation is wet. Will this dry on it's own without problem? Heres pics

Old 04-24-2011, 06:51 PM   #9

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
You'll need to pull that wet insulation and replace it. Looks like you have some work on your hands. Hopefully it'll stop raining !!

David & Annamarie & 2-Pugs (Fatty and Harley)
2011 Rockwood Windjammer 3065
2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
2011 Hensley Arrow "NO-SWAY" Hitch
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
You'll need to pull that wet insulation and replace it. Looks like you have some work on your hands. Hopefully it'll stop raining !!
So rip out the insulation that has gotten wet? That's no biggie. What if it's only a little damp? I appreciate your input.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:30 PM   #11

I've always heard that once wet the fibers are so intertwined that its hard to ever get comepletly dry, the risk verses the reward...I would pull even the damp insulation out. Then let the area dry out completly, then re-insulate. You dont want mold growing in there anyway, that mold is bad stuff.-- Hope your waring a mask of some type pulling or cleaning that mold up.

2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
Old 04-24-2011, 10:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
I've always heard that once wet the fibers are so intertwined that its hard to ever get comepletly dry, the risk verses the reward...I would pull even the damp insulation out. Then let the area dry out completly, then re-insulate. You dont want mold growing in there anyway, that mold is bad stuff.-- Hope your waring a mask of some type pulling or cleaning that mold up.
The moldy stuff was only on the top of the carpet. Once we ripped that up there was just wet wood underneath. No more mold. I sprayed everything down with bleach anyways just to make sure.

We went today and priced carpet and Wainscoting. The whole project should cost less than 300. I won't start on putting it back together until I ow the leak has stopped though.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:38 PM   #13

You'll want to also spray it down with a mixture of Vinager and water. That will kill the mold spores. Bleach won't kill the spores!

2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
Old 05-02-2011, 01:49 PM   #14

So I have all the damaged material out and I am ready to rebuild but I can't..the water is still getting in somehow. It pools up on the black tarp thing that's under the wood.

I have re- caulked all four corners and each window. I have not caulked around the roof yet. I didn't think it was coming from that high but it mush be. The front part of the trailer is defiantly where the water is coming from bc I can feel the water when I reach back behind the wall there in the front. It's not a lot of water but it's there...not sure what else to caulk. I'm gonna caulk all the way around it pm the roof and see where that takes me.

Suggestions?
Old 05-02-2011, 06:59 PM   #15

Did you buy this from a dealer or privately? I recently purchased a TT and the dealer walked us thru a FEMA trailer just to show us the condition compared to other used TT. They are binded by law to inform you that it was a FEMA trailer and he even mentioned if we turned around and sold it that we would have to inform the next person as well that it was a FEMA trailer. There is alot more government paperwork that you have to fill out as well. I would return it to whomever you bought it from.
jrennich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:10 PM   #16

I bought it from a guy on craigslist. He had it listed as a "park model"
Old 05-02-2011, 08:51 PM   #17

It sounds like it is coming from the top. I was told by the dealer I got my FEMA from to be sure to re calk. He suggested Dicor but I am not sure it is right for vertical seams.

I got my FEMA to use as a hunting camp. Everything works. I send the waste to a 42 gal blue tank and winch it onto my truck to dump.

I added a fresh water tank and pump last Summer . I will be adding black and grey tanks this summer.

I have a soft spot in front of the toilet. I think the water came in from the overhead being left open or a toliet over flow.

I will replace the floor when I change out the household toilette for a camper toiltet

Btw the dealer was up front with me about it being a camper. I got it at an auction. They had over 200 on the lot. They lost the one I won before I could pick it up so I got the pick of the lot. My wife tried to wrangle a FEMA dealer model (full kit camper not spec). He was sweating because he could not find mine. I picked one that still had tags on some of the appliances.
kanati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
I bought it from a guy on craigslist. He had it listed as a "park model"
Even a private seller by law is suppose to disclose that it is a FEMA trailer.
jrennich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanati View Post
It sounds like it is coming from the top. I was told by the dealer I got my FEMA from to be sure to re calk. He suggested Dicor but I am not sure it is right for vertical seams.

I got my FEMA to use as a hunting camp. Everything works. I send the waste to a 42 gal blue tank and winch it onto my truck to dump.

I added a fresh water tank and pump last Summer . I will be adding black and grey tanks this summer.

I have a soft spot in front of the toilet. I think the water came in from the overhead being left open or a toliet over flow.

I will replace the floor when I change out the household toilette for a camper toiltet

Btw the dealer was up front with me about it being a camper. I got it at an auction. They had over 200 on the lot. They lost the one I won before I could pick it up so I got the pick of the lot. My wife tried to wrangle a FEMA dealer model (full kit camper not spec). He was sweating because he could not find mine. I picked one that still had tags on some of the appliances.
Yea I don think they are all bad. In fact I have been very happy with this camper overall until this happened. I wish now that I had known that water was getting in but I don't know how I could have known that at the time of purchase. I don't think it helps that this thing is in my driveway and sitting at a slant. All the water runs to the front. I ws supposed to take this camper to my campsite yesterday but them river is flooded and I need to put this bedroom back together. Have to fix the leak first though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrennich View Post
Even a private seller by law is suppose to disclose that it is a FEMA trailer.
Well he did say that people hadmasked Jim if it were a FEMA trailer and that it wasn't. He said that FEMA trailers didn't cone with a title. This one has a title. He bought it from some rv wholesaler down south. He only owned it for a few months. Perhaps he found this leak and got out of it quick. Idk. Sucks for me..
Old 05-03-2011, 07:53 AM   #20

Mine came with a title. I don't think it makes any reference to FEMA.

It is possible that there was no water damage until it was moved and titled.

When I went to inspect before the auction. , I found campers that were unused, plastic wrapped and labeled. Some of them had soft spots at the front door. My guess is it was rain. Google FEMA trailers there are images of the storage facilities with what looks like thousands of campers.

Imagine the irony of losing your FEMA camper to a flood. my buddies and I picked a spot along the Cumberland to put our campers. The spot was under 20ft of water in last years flood. Good thing we had not had time to move them in.
kanati is offline   Reply With Quote