Old 04-24-2011, 01:52 AM   #1

Water damage - 32ft bh FEMA trailer

Ok when I bought this camper I was unaware that it was a FEMA. I didnt know a lot about campers and I still don't. I do k ow that I got what seemed like a great deal at 4k for this camper....however today we opened up the cabinets in the bedroom and seen a lot of water and moldy fuzz stuff growing. I do not know how long it has been there but it was not there 2 months ago when I bought it.

Here's what I got..

So this is what I got...we immediately ripped the cabinets out and took the carpet up....I cut out the wood that was mushy and the wood that is just dark from being wet I am thinking I will treat that wood and replace the wood I cut out but only after I know I have fixed the cause. Here is a picture of what I believe caused all of this...the front of the camper where the water runs right down on this seal. The caulk here is all dried up and flaking out. It looks like no one has ever maintnenced this camper. The damage is limited to the front of the camper and the wet wood is no higher than 4 inches from the floor..so the leak is definatl not from the roof. I plan to let this wood dry out and cut out the peices that are weak and rotten. Will this be ok? We plan to cover the damage with wainscoting all around the bedroom rather than try to replace the entire panel of the walls.we will of course have to get new carpet and replace the wood floor squares that I cut out. My question is am I doing the right thing? I'm a newb and I do not have any experience with this. Any suggestions? Below is pic of where the water is getting in...at least I hope

Old 04-24-2011, 06:34 AM   #2

rotted wood

If it were me.. i would get rid of anything that has been WET !! and make sure there is no rotted wood behind what you cant see...re seal the roof if that trailer is over 5 years old.. Re caulk all outside seams...And get some advice from someone that has fixed these before, Good luck

Old 04-24-2011, 08:23 AM   #3

From your last picture, it looks like the outside is metal? If so, start removing all of the sheets until you find dry framing and insulation. Your camper probably has fibreglass insulation, and it will be soaking wet.
With all of the FEMA trailers around, any deal too good to be true, is likely a FEMA.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dretired View Post
If it were me.. i would get rid of anything that has been WET !! and make sure there is no rotted wood behind what you cant see...re seal the roof if that trailer is over 5 years old.. Re caulk all outside seams...And get some advice from someone that has fixed these before, Good luck
I removed a lot of the wood that has been wet. The corners were the worst. Some of the supporting boards underneath were a little wet but not a lot. I am going to go around and re seal the entire camper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
From your last picture, it looks like the outside is metal? If so, start removing all of the sheets until you find dry framing and insulation. Your camper probably has fibreglass insulation, and it will be soaking wet.
With all of the FEMA trailers around, any deal too good to be true, is likely a FEMA.
The only parts that got wet is the very bottom in the front. About four inches from the floor as I rip out the wall I find totally dry wood.

When I was camper shopping I didn't know anything about FEMA campers. I dont k ow if this is totally the campers fault. All of the seams outside have dried up, old caulk flaking out. If anyone had ever taken the time to inspect the Sean and re seal them I'm sure I would not have this problem. I'll post more pics along the way.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:09 AM   #5

What year and Make is the trailer. Also, are you going to be towing it around or will it be placed on a permenant site? If you're going to be towing it, be aware that if you start remodeling the inside with better quality materials such as wainscoting, heavier lumber, better carpet & padding etc. you will be adding weight to the trailer.

Also, since FEMA trailers were placed on devestated homeowners properties they were plumbed directly to water and sewer. So, does it have holding tanks (fresh water, grey & black)? I looked at one once, like you $4,500, but it had no tanks.

Sounds like you have enough knowledge to fix the problems and should look a whole lot better when you're done.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
What year and Make is the trailer. Also, are you going to be towing it around or will it be placed on a permenant site? If you're going to be towing it, be aware that if you start remodeling the inside with better quality materials such as wainscoting, heavier lumber, better carpet & padding etc. you will be adding weight to the trailer.

Also, since FEMA trailers were placed on devestated homeowners properties they were plumbed directly to water and sewer. So, does it have holding tanks (fresh water, grey & black)? I looked at one once, like you $4,500, but it had no tanks.

Sounds like you have enough knowledge to fix the problems and should look a whole lot better when you're done.

It is going on a permanent site on the Ohio river near Cincinnati. It will only travel twice a year. In the winter we will pull it out due to flooding. I plan to just use a 50 gallon portable tank and each weekend empty the water not the septic system under the trailer. There is a shower house at the camp site I will use most of the time. The wainscoting will add some weight but I don't think it will be too much. Were only doing the bedroom. Right now I just wish it would stop raining so I can get this caulking done and see if the problem is solved. I don't want to start putting it back together until I know the water leak has stopped.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
It is going on a permanent site on the Ohio river near Cincinnati. It will only travel twice a year. In the winter we will pull it out due to flooding. I plan to just use a 50 gallon portable tank and each weekend empty the water not the septic system under the trailer. There is a shower house at the camp site I will use most of the time. The wainscoting will add some weight but I don't think it will be too much. Were only doing the bedroom. Right now I just wish it would stop raining so I can get this caulking done and see if the problem is solved. I don't want to start putting it back together until I know the water leak has stopped.
Sounds like you got the situation well covered and ditto on the rain, same here. We cancelled our trip this weekend because of it (plus the campground would be a soggy mess). Did de-winterize it and do some minor work inside the trailer during the rainy periods instead. At least that's done. Now when we do get out, I can just set up and enjoy.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:22 PM   #8

So I cut out the boards that were soggy and the rest are solid just a little damp. Also cut out a piece in the center of the room to make sure the boards underneath and insulation was in good shape. It is. The insulation is wet. Will this dry on it's own without problem? Heres pics

Old 04-24-2011, 07:51 PM   #9

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
You'll need to pull that wet insulation and replace it. Looks like you have some work on your hands. Hopefully it'll stop raining !!

David & Annamarie & 2-Pugs (Fatty and Harley)
2011 Rockwood Windjammer 3065
2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
2011 Hensley Arrow "NO-SWAY" Hitch
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed View Post
You'll need to pull that wet insulation and replace it. Looks like you have some work on your hands. Hopefully it'll stop raining !!
So rip out the insulation that has gotten wet? That's no biggie. What if it's only a little damp? I appreciate your input.