Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2010, 12:02 PM   #1

water dripping from AC inside the Rv? what's going on??

I have an 11 month old rockwood. I'm noticing water occasionally dripping from the white sqaure vent in the ceiling. I'm wondering if this is due to humidity in the RV, a leaky gasket, a blocked something or other, or just a slight inconvenience to put up with. It's not pouring out, but when I look at the grill there is usually a few drips waiting to fall - sometimes they fall, and sometimes they evaporate. Anybody care to offer their 2 cents on what might be causing this?? Thanks.
rvron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 12:07 PM   #2

I had the same thing happening while camping during the July 4th weekend. I didn't have a chance to try it but it was suggested that the fan be kept on the high speed when running the AC in humid weather. By doing this, it will help the condensation evaporate before it gets a chance accumulate.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:02 PM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Summer humidity and cold plastic. Similar to pouring soda in a plastic cup and letting it sit. The humidity condenses droplets on the cold plastic. Usually it gets better the longer the AC runs but opening and closing the door to outside will allow the humidity back in.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:44 PM   #4
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
The same condensation droplets are often observed on the ceiling, for about a foot, where the ducts exit the AC. Keeping the fan on high does usually help. My theory is that with the fan on low, the air coming out of the AC is lower in temperature, promoting condensation. With the fan on high, the greater airflow causes the temperature in the ducts/AC to rise just enough to resolve the condensation issue - most of the time.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #5

In most cases if water is dripping out of a supply vent that is in the ceiling then there maybe a lack of insulation in that area where the duct work and the supply vent is connected. Sometimes It is not seen until there is high humidity.
With roof mounted a/c units in RV's more insulation needs to be added between the supply and return ducts and the reason for this is because the supply and return are next to each other. I had to add more insulation in mine because the manufacture did not have enough and I had a wet grill. After adding the insulation I have not had any problems to date and as of this year we have camped in 98 degree with humidity at 75% and the grill was dry. So just for fun you may want to remove the a/c grill in the ceiling and inspect whats up there, now if you fine wet insulation then it needs to be replaced, wet insulation has no "R" value, It will not insulate and that is just like not having any at all and If that's the case then your grill will get wet.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:50 AM   #6
Cardinal 04 31LE

I had this problem in my 24' travel trailer I had previously. I found it to be blocked drain pathways. They were not condensation hoses/tubes as you would see on a standard air conditioning system. The condensation would drain onto the roof and then drain through these "pathways" away from the AC unit and off of the RV roof. Once I cleaned debris away from around and under the air conditioner frame mounted against the roof we were fine. I had to do this annually.
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:59 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Same problem different cause in mine.

AC was not torqued down properly and the roof seal leaked. Seal replaced under warranty.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:52 AM   #8

Hey Herk; A mobile repair guy suggested that I try tightening those bolts, too. I've done so twice but it still leaks. I can still tighten them more but don't want to over do it. Can you give me an idea of how much force you used to tighten yours?
1 wonderful wife
and too many Toys to bring along!
rvron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:03 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvron View Post
Hey Herk; A mobile repair guy suggested that I try tightening those bolts, too. I've done so twice but it still leaks. I can still tighten them more but don't want to over do it. Can you give me an idea of how much force you used to tighten yours?
Bad news dude.

One: Once a foam seal starts leaking it needs to be replaced not tightened. The dirt and debris gets carried by the water under the seal and gets trapped in the texture of the roof and seal allowing water to "find a way".

two: My Coleman Mach II (15,000 BTU upgrade unit) has yellow plastic torque tabs fastened to the upper part of the AC unit. Not all AC units have these I am told, but mine does. Seems FR did not know about them either. These tabs are supposed to just touch the air handler lower metal plate (that has the screw heads) when the AC is properly AND EVENLY torqued). My leaker had on tab cranked all the way through the metal plate and the other 3 were trapped under the seal. They had to replace the seal under warranty because the yellow tabs had indented the foam seal.

If your rig is under warranty take it back.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 03:06 PM   #10

I have had this problem twice in my 2012 Rockwood 8319SS. The drain holes on either side of the A/C were clogged. The first time one of them had a bug in it. The second time they were clogged with gunk. I got up on the roof and bent an insulated wire so there was about a 3/4" piece that I wiggled around in the drain holes and that solved the problem.
There is a hole on each side and they look like a domed grommet.
Rodney-the-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 03:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvron View Post
I have an 11 month old rockwood. I'm noticing water occasionally dripping from the white sqaure vent in the ceiling. I'm wondering if this is due to humidity in the RV, a leaky gasket, a blocked something or other, or just a slight inconvenience to put up with. It's not pouring out, but when I look at the grill there is usually a few drips waiting to fall - sometimes they fall, and sometimes they evaporate. Anybody care to offer their 2 cents on what might be causing this?? Thanks.
It sounds like condensation to me. Mine will do that in high humidity. I just wipe it now and then. If it is a steady drip, your drain pan is clogged and needs to be cleaned.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:12 PM   #12

i know this is a old post but i just had this happen to me for the first time this past weekend. it was extremly humid here in Texas due to off and own rain showers and sun. The ac did not leak during a constant down poor with the ac off. I checked the drain plugs and they seem clear. When i got home it was sunny and hot i cranked the ac down to 70 and ran it all day without a drip. im thinking now it was due to the weather. we had another couple with us. So there was people in and out constanly. next down pour we get i will run the ac and was thinkin of maybe leaving the vent open an vent van on low to sort of simulate door being opened and closed.
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote