Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2016, 06:15 PM   #1

Water dripping from antifreeze intake

My wife and I have been on a cross country trip from Tennessee to Washington state in a 3 month old Flagstaff MicroLite. Everything was fine the first several nights. Then, at a campground in Wyoming, after hooking up the city water with 90 pounds of pressure (I did have a regulator/restrictor on my hose), I found a steady stream of water coming from the antifreeze intake. I used it as it was with the dripping and made it through the night. The next night at a different RV park with only 60 pounds of water pressure, there was no leak. Now I'm at an RV park in Oregon and was told in the office that they had less than 60 pounds of water pressure, yet I am getting the dripping out of the antifreeze inlet valve again. Can anyone provide any insight as to why this is happening and what I can do about it? Thanks.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:29 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tort1305 View Post
My wife and I have been on a cross country trip from Tennessee to Washington state in a 3 month old Flagstaff MicroLite. Everything was fine the first several nights. Then, at a campground in Wyoming, after hooking up the city water with 90 pounds of pressure (I did have a regulator/restrictor on my hose), I found a steady stream of water coming from the antifreeze intake. I used it as it was with the dripping and made it through the night. The next night at a different RV park with only 60 pounds of water pressure, there was no leak. Now I'm at an RV park in Oregon and was told in the office that they had less than 60 pounds of water pressure, yet I am getting the dripping out of the antifreeze inlet valve again. Can anyone provide any insight as to why this is happening and what I can do about it? Thanks.
This sounds kinda odd, as many times the RV antifreeze intake is between the pump and freshwater tank and may have a valve or backflow preventer at it.

If you are connecting to city water, then the city water would be pressurizing back thru the pump and valve to the antifreeze intake for this to occur.

Yours could be differently plumbed than the pic below....which I am posting to make sure we are talking about the same thing.

You are not perhaps turning on the pump while hooked to city water, are you?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:45 PM   #3

Water Drippin

Thanks for the quick reply. I believe my plumbing system is about what your picture looks like. I did not turn on my water pump, but did add water to the fresh water tank just in case I ever needed it (no water hookup available).

Fortunately, the leak is just a steady drip and doesn't adversely affect the water pressure from any of the faucets or the toilet flushing, but it IS disturbing that it just started dripping like that while in the middle of a fairly long trip. I will be taking it back to the dealership once I return home, but sure would love to get this issue resolved even before getting home.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:51 PM   #4
Site Team

OK, is there not a valve handle right there at the antifreeze injection point? The handle may be on the opposite side of the valve and you are not seeing it. I would just make sure the valve is closed fully to the antifreeze line.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:04 PM   #5

My first thought is that the valve to the antifreeze line is open and the check valve in the pump is leaking by. I'm willing to bet that if he turns the antifreeze valve back to the tank, the tank will start slowly gaining level.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:12 PM   #6

Instead of the 3-way valve as shown in wmtire's pic, he might have 2 separate valves, one to the FW tank and one to the AF connection (My Roo 19 was like this). If the FW tank valve is fully closed, but the AF connection valve is not, it would explain why the FW tank isn't filling, but the AF connection is leaking.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:05 AM   #7

Plumbing Issue

Thanks to all who responded to my initial question. I did close the valve at the water pump and no longer have the dripping coming out of the antifreeze inlet. However, now I find that even though I am on city water, my fresh water tank is getting filled up. Not that big an issue as the sinks, shower and toilet are all working. I will be visiting the dealership when I get back from this trip for some education and a full check up on my RV.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:10 AM   #8
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Thanks to all who responded to my initial question. I did close the valve at the water pump and no longer have the dripping coming out of the antifreeze inlet. However, now I find that even though I am on city water, my fresh water tank is getting filled up. Not that big an issue as the sinks, shower and toilet are all working. I will be visiting the dealership when I get back from this trip for some education and a full check up on my RV.
Just be careful when the tank fills so you do not burst anything.. In the tank that is.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Thanks to all who responded to my initial question. ...
Either bad check valve or some debris in the check valve. Easy fix. Your next problem is going to be water running out of the tank when the tanks fills all the way.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:13 AM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Yep, we knew that was coming if/when you closed the valve to the antifreeze inlet.

The check valve in your water pump has a problem.
Either it is bad or has some debris stuck in it.

Turn off the city water, crack a spigot and relieve the pressure.
Then turn on your water pump and and draw water through the system using the pump. (cycle several times)
Turn the pump off, crack a spigot to relieve the pressure and turn the city water back on. See what happens.

Sometimes this is enough to remove the debris and reseat the check valve that is built into the water pump.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 01:06 PM   #11

Tort1305, thanks for posting this. I had the same problem and applied 5picker's fix and it worked like a charm. My thanks to 5picker for saving me from a lot of suboptimal solutions!
LeslieGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:14 PM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieGary View Post
Tort1305, thanks for posting this. I had the same problem and applied 5picker's fix and it worked like a charm. My thanks to 5picker for saving me from a lot of suboptimal solutions!
You are most welcome!
This is a great forum with lots of very helpful and knowledgeable folks.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antifreeze, water