Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2012, 11:36 AM   #1

Water fill dust cap

The dust cap on one of the water fill connectors on my motor home broke off, and I bought a replacement (at least the closest I could find) at Camping World. The problem is, my connectors have tightening knobs around them, and I can't stretch the new cap enough to get it around the knob (see pictures) and I haven't figured out if the knob and/or connector can come off without removing the entire assembly. Does anyone know how I can get the strap onto the connector? Thanks for your responses.

Gary Shapiro, 2011 Georgetown 29' Class A
Dash, Molly & Lily - now at the Bridge and forever in my heart
Shadow - 4-year-old Greyhound
Hannah - 1 1/2-year-old GSD rescue
dashonthedash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #2

I've changed them but not with tl large dial knob. Got two ideas though. The caps aer inexpensive, why not experiment wit one and carefully continue the slit down until it allows installition. If that can't work looks like the plastic knob is press fit over the brass hose coupler. It might pull off. I dont' think you can get it apart even if you remove it. Inside its machined swedged to allow the coupler to rotate bu cannot be removed one time assembly. One another solution, they sell screwed plugs for the same purpose, CW
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #3

Thanks for the response. I tried the slitting method and actually got it over the knob, but it wouldn't seat properly around the hose coupler. I looked at how the other one was seated, and it doesn't look like I can get it seated properly without removing the knob, but it won't pull off easily and I don't want to try pulling harder without knowing that it can be removed and the proper method of removing it. The plug looks like a possible option if I replace them both. Where would I attach the strap, to one of the screws?

Old 08-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashonthedash
Thanks for the response. I tried the slitting method and actually got it over the knob, but it wouldn't seat properly around the hose coupler. I looked at how the other one was seated, and it doesn't look like I can get it seated properly without removing the knob, but it won't pull off easily and I don't want to try pulling harder without knowing that it can be removed and the proper method of removing it. The plug looks like a possible option if I replace them both. Where would I attach the strap, to one of the screws?
Yes or buy them w/o strap, it'll go in 3-4 turns and will not fall out like caps. Depot or Lowes should have them in garden hose section. Can always attach lanyard if ya need it. The plugs don't fall apart in sunlight.....
Old 08-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
Director, FROG

Might something like this work, using a zip-tie to attach it?
Amazon Hose Plug

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.R.O.G. View Post
Might something like this work, using a zip-tie to attach it?
Amazon Hose Plug

Not sure the loop will go over the hand tighten knop either, looks like 7/8' diameter the know is at least 1 1/4"
Old 08-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #7
Director, FROG

For the attachment, I wondered if a small zip-tie could go around behind the large knob on the trailer and then through the ring on the end of the plug. The ring itself wouldn't have to go over the large knob.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashonthedash View Post
Remove the 3 screws and pull the whole fixture out and disconnect the filler hose and the whole thing will come apart. 15 - 20 minutes time.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:32 PM   #9

That is more than I want to do. I'd like to buy a couple of plugs, they are available at Camping World for a couple bucks each, but are they hollow? If they are not, they would crush the strainer inside the coupler.

Old 08-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
That is more than I want to do. I'd like to buy a couple of plugs, they are available at Camping World for a couple bucks each, but are they hollow? If they are not, they would crush the strainer inside the coupler.
15-20 minutes vs traveling to a Camping World?????
Old 08-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #11

Quote:
I've seen them both ways, most are hollow however.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
15-20 minutes vs traveling to a Camping World?????
I get free shipping, and I am lousy with my hands. It would take a lot more than 15-20 minutes, and I would have to replace both to match them, so I would need to buy another (2, actually, since I butchered the new one trying to get it on) plus sealer for the fixtures.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #13

Well, I ordered a couple of the screw-on caps from Camping World. I'll let you know how it works out. If it doesn't, I'm out the huge total of $4.16.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Well, I ordered a couple of the screw-on caps from Camping World. I'll let you know how it works out. If it doesn't, I'm out the huge total of $4.16.
How are you going to stretch them over the big knobs?
Old 08-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #15

The screw-on caps are much less likely than the plug-on caps to fall off, so the straps are not really needed for them. If I did want to attach them (just so I didn't lose them while the hose was attached), the loop is much smaller than the one pictured, and can be attached to one of the screws.

After receiving additional information, it looks like this will solve my problem quite nicely, and probably last a lot longer than the rubber caps (and not get twisted). Thanks to all for your responses.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:04 PM   #16

the tether strap broke on my hose conneciton second time out. I just shove it in as usual and it's staying put for 18 months now. In use I just put it where the hose came out of storage (along with the hitch pins, etc).

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote