Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #1

Water Filter

New to the TT lifestyle, the TT I bought is a 2013 Wildwood X-Lite does not come with a whole camper water filter so I was wondering if the faucets allow for a PUR water filter to be attached to the kitchen sink. I don't want to filter all the water. Any help will be great. Tanks in advance
scknoll123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
TeresaInCAL

You know you can buy an external filter, and filter the water as it comes in? Camco 40043 TastePURE RV Water Filter with Flexible Hose Protector : Amazon.com : Automotive
They're about 20 bucks. Walmart has them too.
TeresaInCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaInCAL View Post
You know you can buy an external filter, and filter the water as it comes in? Camco 40043 TastePURE RV Water Filter with Flexible Hose Protector : Amazon.com : Automotive
I don't have continues water flow at my campground (wish i did) that's why I was asking. Thanks
scknoll123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
Denver, CO

Faucets are kinda light duty, so I would do an separate spigot with a cartridge filter. I have an Omnipure from rvwaterfilterstore.com and it's great.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #5

You might consider a reverse osmosis setup. Take a look at what's on ebay. The ones for an RV are quite small and don't have waste water used up in the process that would have to be drained away. They are in the range of $100 - 200.

I installed a couple of inline 5" filters near the kitchen sink for the cold water only - one is a carbon filter and the other is a sediment filter. The flow rate is pretty slow with 2 filters in line though. But DW refuses to drink the filtered water and will only drink store bought bottled water. I don't have any trouble drinking the filtered water.

I don't think you would want to filter the entire water supply as you'd need a large filter like a 10" cartridge to get a decent flow rate and quality filtration. A 1/2" garden hose typically provides about 5 gpm to give you an idea of the flow rate into an RV. I know that you can get the inline ones that go on the outside incoming supply connection but I have my doubts on the quality of the filtration on such small size filters and don't know what the flow rate is. You don't really need to filter water for the toilet and shower unless maybe the water source is not very goo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	059 (640x614).jpg
Views:	142
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	24641  
Old 02-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
TeresaInCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by scknoll123 View Post
I don't have continues water flow at my campground (wish i did) that's why I was asking. Thanks
Right, but you can filter the water as you're filling the tank.

We do this, and also have a countertop PUR filter, to extra filter drinking/coffee water.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:59 PM   #7

In addition to the torpedo inline filter we use one of these:

Pur Two Stage Filtration Water Dispenser: Appliances : Walmart.com
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #8

In Ontario the water quality varies a lot and sometimes there is so much chlorine that it is not drinkable. I would prefer not to put that water in my fresh water tank so I have a large whole house filter canister and I use a carbon filter that filters to 2 micron.

The system flow is fast enough so I don't have a lineup behind me and the water is fine to drink with almost no chlorine smell. I put a reducer from 1" fittings to the filter housing to 1/2 inch and a garden hose adapter for the fresh water hose.

DuPont Heavy Duty Whole House Water Filtration System-WFHD13001B at The Home Depot

Heavy Duty Carbon Pleated Cartridge-WFHDC8001 at The Home Depot

Apologies about the links, I couldn't figure out how to embed pictures.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #9

extremebike - good choice. Is that a 5" or 10" filter? The filter cost at HD seems awfully high. I bought our 5" ones at Water Filters: Replacement Water Filter Cartridges for Culligan, Everpure, Samsung, Pur, Brita, Pentek, GE, and more for just over $10 each. You should be able to buy them at wholesale plumbing places for a good price too.

We use a 10" carbon filter cartridge on our house due to the well water and it has a pretty good flow rate.

Water Filters: Replacement Water Filter Cartridges for Culligan, Everpure, Samsung, Pur, Brita, Pentek, GE, and more has a lot of good info on which filters to choose.
Old 03-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #10

When we go camping we freeze 2 cases of bottled water. The bottles sometimes expand but don't break. We put them in the coolers along with other items we want to keep cold. This way we don't take up cooler room with ice.

I have been considering trying a large bottle water item like.

Avanti Products Thermoelectric Cold Water Cooler / Dispenser: Appliances : Walmart.com

Since it is electronic I could put it outside next to the camper and have easy access to it at any time.

vizsla owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:05 AM   #11
Denver, CO

Remember that chlorine is a GOOD thing, as it kills bad bugs that can make you sick AND if you remove it all before the water goes into your tank and the tank sits for awhile, you can create your own bad water. I think it is best for the tanks water to be filtered for sediment but not chlorine, and then filtered at. The spigot.

3ppm residual chlorine is a good point to have in you your tank and plumbing.

AND sanitize your entire system at least annually with 50-100 ppm chlorine.

Chlorine is, after all natural. LOL

There is lots of hysteria out there about " chemical" and while some of it is good, people can go overboard about it..

IMPO
Old 03-07-2013, 11:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Faucets are kinda light duty, so I would do an separate spigot with a cartridge filter. I have an Omnipure from rvwaterfilterstore.com and it's great.
Above is true,I know your unit is New but change out the kitchen faucet for a better Home metal type that you can screw a Omnipure on the outlet pipe. You will be on here asking about the squeeking,plastic faucet if you dont change it anyway. I changed all of my faucets before the first trip,went to Menards they have a good selection. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by myredracer View Post
extremebike - good choice. Is that a 5" or 10" filter? The filter cost at HD seems awfully high. I bought our 5" ones at Water Filters: Replacement Water Filter Cartridges for Culligan, Everpure, Samsung, Pur, Brita, Pentek, GE, and more for just over $10 each. You should be able to buy them at wholesale plumbing places for a good price too.

We use a 10" carbon filter cartridge on our house due to the well water and it has a pretty good flow rate.

Water Filters: Replacement Water Filter Cartridges for Culligan, Everpure, Samsung, Pur, Brita, Pentek, GE, and more has a lot of good info on which filters to choose.
It's the 10 inch large canister and filter. I figured out that someone would shoot me waiting for the FW to fill. The large filter flows through about as fast as the tap will provide. The carbon filter has a much small screen so you need the large one to maintain the flow.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:35 AM   #14
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaInCAL View Post
That camco filter you use is a 100 micron filter which DOES NOT filter much just an fyi.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:50 AM   #15

We have a Pur 10" on the outside for shore water.. 5 micron 2.5 gpm. it lasts about 3 mo. fresh water tank gets cleaned, then we filter that before our trip... only put about 10 or 15 gals for travel...
eaglehaslanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:54 PM   #16
TeresaInCAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
That camco filter you use is a 100 micron filter which DOES NOT filter much just an fyi.
Thanks.

We don't drink this water, this is just household, mostly. I sometimes will use it through the PURE water filter, then in the coffee maker.