Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #101

The specs at the water filter store states a 3 to 4 gallon flow rate. I checked filters fast.com (same type that I buy from HD for my home system) for the same type filter and it had a 1 gal flow rate. I'm just going by what I see on the spec sheets...maybe they are wrong or I'm not comparing apple to apples. I'll stick with the RV specific filters.
bob213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:08 PM   #102

This (for instance) has a 5 gpm flow rate.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #103

You are not comparing apples to apples. As it was stated before it all comes down to the micron rating. The smaller the holes in the filter, the better it filters particulates but the trade off is flow rate. Although they call these filters "whole house" only those with the higher micron ratings (bigger holes) would work on a whole house because you need a lot of flow. In an RV not so much. I never installed standard 10" carbon filters in a whole house application because of flow restriction and lack of contact time the water had with the carbon.
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
This (for instance) has a 5 gpm flow rate.
I don't want to argue but I think that is the maximum filtered flow for that canister, not the filter.
I just know that when I use the PurWater filter I do not have the loss of water pressure that I do with others. The Rv store filters come the closest to the PurWater for me. Others, depending on their setup and the micron rating may have different results. I don't drink it, so I'm just trying to keep max flow for a good shower with the Oxygenics head
bob213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:57 PM   #105

Thanks for all the comments on water filters and water pressure in your RV's. I recently purchased a Sandpiper 346RET and on our first trip out with this trailer we had good water pressure in the trailer even with the flow regulator installed. On our second trip out the water pressure was greatly reduced even though the water pressure at the water faucet was good pressure. I had purchased a exterior filter at Walmart (the blue one) so I removed the filter in the trailer and installed the Walmart filter at the faucet. The pressure in the trailer was increased greatly. We don't drink the water in the trailer, just want sufficient pressure for washing dishes and taking showers. Thanks again for the tips!
PNG68 is offline   Reply With Quote