Old 06-08-2015, 08:24 PM   #1

Water filter

I am removing the water filter on our new Minilite so we do not have any canister bursting problems that I have been reading about. I do have one question in connecting the two water lines once the canister is removed. I have read that several people have used Shark Bite couplers with great success. Can this coupler be used with the original white with blue stripe tube that is currently being connected to the canister/filter? PEX is mentioned, so is this tube that is currently used PEX? I would sure like to do this right to prevent water toubles down the road. Thanks in advance!

Old 06-09-2015, 12:44 PM   #2

You have give a pretty good description of the problem but can not give you a 100% answer. I will say it sounds like something similar that I have done and I got my all my tubing, fittings, and couplers from here https://www.freshwatersystems.com/c-...es-tubing.aspx

Old 06-09-2015, 02:29 PM   #3

I checked the shark bite website and it turns out that they do not have a distributer that sells them here in ND anyway. So, I went up to the parts dept of one of the camper dealers and told him about my project and he sold me a hose mender (brass coupler with barbs on each end) and two hose clamps. Maybe I was making this harder than it needed to be!
Old 06-09-2015, 02:47 PM   #4

Sounds like a pretty strait forward solution and the clamps should make sure things stay connected and there are no leaks. Let me know how it works out for you.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:43 PM   #5

It was pretty easy to just cut the water in and out tubes and install the coupling. Will check for leaks putting water to the system for the first time. There is a valve that goes to the water pump I am not sure of the purpose so I will have to watch the pump operation carefully. At any rate, the water filter is no more which is a good feeling to have that removed.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:27 AM   #6

I am about to remove the filter also [rockwood minilite]..the tubing on mine is blue 1/2'' pex either side of filter[hose clamps don't work on this stuff]....i'll be putting in a pressure accumulator in its place [amazon $36.00] pex fittings can be bought at lowes and home depot.
I would actually like to keep my filter but cant see where to plumb the accumulator.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:11 PM   #7

Today i ran water using both the fresh water tank and the city water hook up in my driveway. No leaks, seems I am about good to go! And now I know what PEX is too.
Old 06-11-2015, 04:53 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

For those removing the filter, why not use one of these? Plastic Pipe Fittings | MSCDirect.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2819a4f2-7e04-44a4-a104-caedbfeca330_1000.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	79653  
Old 06-11-2015, 05:19 PM   #9

Looks like that coupling would work as well. Just clamp two male ends on each of the tubes and screw them on. Price is about the same.
Old 06-11-2015, 05:33 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostershooter View Post
Looks like that coupling would work as well. Just clamp two male ends on each of the tubes and screw them on. Price is about the same.
It is commonly called a union, not a coupling in that it comes apart and you thread the 2 parts onto the pex lines without having to disturb the pex fitting. Eliminates having to use shark fittings and leaks from turning the pex fittings.

Tags
water, water filter