Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2010, 07:40 AM   #1
Now a "Top Member"

Water Filter...again

Howdy y'all. I've seen lots of the water filter subjects, but none dealing with this, so here goes. How in the world do you loosen the dang casing for the water filter? I have the little tool (wrench thingy) that came with my Wildcat, and have tried to loosen that bugger up to the point where I start to hear the mounting stuff start to pop and crack. I'm afraid I'm going to bust the whole thing! Does anyone have any ideas to help loosen the casing? You know...normally I'd squirt a little WD-40 or Liquid Wrench on something like that, but uh...this is a water filter, and it's all plastic. Soooo, any ideas would be welcomed.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:08 AM   #2

My guess is that it's very tight.

Find a way to hold the filter cover, so it does not twist, and using the plastic wrench, slide it on the filter housing, from below and turn clockwise, as it points down.

That's all there is to it. Good luck.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:41 AM   #3

I find it seems easier to unscrew if I make sure there is no water pressure in the system.
gregm59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:50 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm59 View Post
I find it seems easier to unscrew if I make sure there is no water pressure in the system.
Agreed.

And I know this might seem like over simplification, but since I have made this mistake a number of times (on bolts and such), here goes:

Since you are looking down on the filter canister instead of head-on, you need to loosen that puppy in the opposite direction of what seems to be normal. Instead of using a counter clockwise direction, you need to use a clockwise direction with the tool.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 12:48 PM   #5
The Old Man

Strap wrenches work a lot better, especially if all you have is one of those P-shaped spanner wrenches. You can get strap wrenches for just a few dollars at any home-improvement store. They also work great for oil filters!

And yes, turn CLOCKWISE as it would appear looking down from the TOP of the filter housing. When you eventually get it off, rub a bit of Vaseline on the o-ring before you put it back on.

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:08 PM   #6
Now a "Top Member"

Yes, it's definitely very tight! I will try and "depressurize". Never thought about that. And yes, it'll be lubed up a bit when the new one goes on. Thanks for the hints!
Retired AF MSgt

Old 09-09-2010, 06:16 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregm59 View Post
Times 2. Don't ask how I know.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:10 AM   #8
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Times 2. Don't ask how I know.
Oh, now you're no fun Lou! Whatever happened to "sharin' and carin''!?? Anyway, I'll try and get to it this weekend. Not sure I'm gonna have time, but we'll see.
Retired AF MSgt

Old 09-09-2010, 07:45 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
Oh, now you're no fun Lou! Whatever happened to "sharin' and carin''!?? Anyway, I'll try and get to it this weekend. Not sure I'm gonna have time, but we'll see.
Well, this very embarrassing story may save someone else from a similar fate. My first (hopefully last) winterizing disaster resulted when I tried to do it alone as the DW was on the West Coast visiting the kids.

The book said to remove the filter when winterizing, so I disconnected the water and tried to remove the casing. It was impossible. No amount of struggling would free the canister container. Finally, I opened a faucet and water spurted under pressure and then the clear plastic holder spun right off!

I was SO proud I solved my problem.

I proceeded to install the winterizing kit I bought in the suction lines; switch the fill valve on the pump from the fresh tank to the anti-freeze fill hose; stuck it into the gallon jug; and proceeded back into the camper to "prime the pump" with the wall switch.

Expecting a brief run, then stop when the pump primed with RV antifreeze; I was very confused when the pump continued to run. I immediately shut off the pump and went under the basement of the 5th wheel to see what the problem was.

Well, imagine the horror when I first saw the 3/4 empty jug of anti-freeze; the pink gooey mess all over the floor of the compartment; and finally the clear filter holder sitting in the grass where I had left it after dumping out the water and the old filter.

My 15 minute winterizing took most of the afternoon cleaning up the huge mess I made and finishing the process.

The only thing that would have made this lesson worse was if the DW had been home to witness her brilliant (IMHO) DH's idiocy.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #10
CLASS "A" Senior Member

You may want to pull the screened washer from the city port inlet and press in the check valve. I had a filter on my old trailer that got clogged at a not too opportune time and I released the pressure at the faucet but until I pushed in the check valve it was still pressure locked. Just something else to check!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:24 PM   #11

OK, that's new to me. In all the winterizing docs I've read - I cannot remember reading this.

Remove screen washer push something - I guess it's spring loaded and prevents water from gushing out?

Now would pink antifreeze gush out? should I guess.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:39 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatared View Post
OK, that's new to me. In all the winterizing docs I've read - I cannot remember reading this.

Remove screen washer push something - I guess it's spring loaded and prevents water from gushing out?

Now would pink antifreeze gush out? should I guess.

Thanks for the tip.
A neighbour up that street that has a TT mentioned this tip to me when he dropped in to check out my trailer.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:24 PM   #13
Now a "Top Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Well, this very embarrassing story may save someone else from a similar fate. My first (hopefully last) winterizing disaster resulted when I tried to do it alone as the DW was on the West Coast visiting the kids.

The book said to remove the filter when winterizing, so I disconnected the water and tried to remove the casing. It was impossible. No amount of struggling would free the canister container. Finally, I opened a faucet and water spurted under pressure and then the clear plastic holder spun right off!

I was SO proud I solved my problem.

I proceeded to install the winterizing kit I bought in the suction lines; switch the fill valve on the pump from the fresh tank to the anti-freeze fill hose; stuck it into the gallon jug; and proceeded back into the camper to "prime the pump" with the wall switch.

Expecting a brief run, then stop when the pump primed with RV antifreeze; I was very confused when the pump continued to run. I immediately shut off the pump and went under the basement of the 5th wheel to see what the problem was.

Well, imagine the horror when I first saw the 3/4 empty jug of anti-freeze; the pink gooey mess all over the floor of the compartment; and finally the clear filter holder sitting in the grass where I had left it after dumping out the water and the old filter.

My 15 minute winterizing took most of the afternoon cleaning up the huge mess I made and finishing the process.

The only thing that would have made this lesson worse was if the DW had been home to witness her brilliant (IMHO) DH's idiocy.
Heh...yeah, thanks for sharing that. Indeed I will remember it when I get out there. While I don't really have to winterize mine, I sure don't want to have to clean up a big mess in the garage there! I'm too old for that!
Retired AF MSgt

Old 09-17-2010, 05:01 PM   #14
Now a "Top Member"

Okay, finally got out to work on this. Y'all aren't gonna believe this. I loosened the fitting going into the trailer (figured I'd have less water leaking on that side), and put the wrench on the casing, and holy cow. I barely had to use any strength at all. It just came right off. I understand how pressure works and all, but that is a bit ridiculous. Anyway, got the filter changed and put back and all is well!
Retired AF MSgt

Old 09-17-2010, 05:05 PM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Glad you got it solved Ed.