Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2016, 10:27 PM   #1

water filter canister busted!!! help!!

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on the forum. I have read a lot on here and have learned quite a bit. I'm a newbie and recently started full timing in my cross country.

I've experienced some cold weather recently and my camco water filter canister froze up and busted. I'm trying to find a replacement.

I jumped on amazon and ordered a new camco water filter system and had it delivered in two days. However, when I tried to put the canister on, it didn't fit. Now I'm back to zero!

Does anyone have any ideas where I can get a replacement canister?

Thanks for your time!!!
retiredchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:37 PM   #2

Did you just purchase the canister or the whole unit? If you purchased the whole water filter just replace the old with the new.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:08 PM   #3

well I ordered what I thought was a replacement. however, I received a full housing with fittings and hose for a filter that sits out in the yard outside of the rv. the casing/or canister is the same, but for some reason the threads are a little bit larger than the threads on my rv system. I even tried to supplement the size by wrapping pipe tape around the threads of the male end of the system...which is mounted on my rv.

Well, I'm still looking for a suitable replacement.

I couldn't even find a kit to replace the one I have.

I suppose this will be something I have to rely on Camping world to fix.

Meanwhile, I'm sitting in an rv park without water.....well I have gallon jugs of water sitting around all over the place but not running water....

Thanks for you help and your time.

Take Care!!!!
Old 01-21-2016, 11:49 PM   #4
WFD

Chief...do yourself a favor and scrap the water filter system. Put in a bypass with a piece of Pex and some sharkbite fittings, easy and quick...many of us have done it. Get an external filter and have that thing outside attached to the water tap and if it leaks, at least its outside. A great many of us have pulled those filters out because they are notorious for leaking. Pulled mine out before ever going out the first time. First thing I changed when we got the rig home from the dealer.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:02 AM   #5

As WFD said bypass your on board filter and just use the external filter you have purchased. I did the bypass on our trailer that only cost $1 for the water fitting. I wish I could take a picture but the trailer is 3000 mile away.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:18 AM   #6

Those are great ideas but where do I get the pieces to do this with? And what is Pex and what are shark bite fittings???

See I told you I was a newbie!!!

Thanks guys!!!
Old 01-22-2016, 12:24 AM   #7

Do a Search rite here at the top! Type Bypass water filter,tons of Info and Pic's will come up! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:29 AM   #8

You guys are awesome!!!!
is there anything else I should watch for when doing this job?

Thanks
Old 01-22-2016, 12:18 PM   #9

Just bought my new rv and told them to remove the water filter no problem.
Rkluge777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:59 PM   #10

[QUOTE=retiredchief;1083218]Hello everyone,

"I've experienced some cold weather recently and my camco water filter canister froze up and busted."

If you don't have a water filter I assume you haven't turned on your water yet? I don't want to be the negative guy here but if your filter froze and busted it is possible you have broken water lines. if you haven't tested yet I recommend that when you do turn on the water, turn on very slowly and look everywhere for leaks.

oh, and Go Navy

Jim
lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:07 PM   #11

Lows or Home Depot
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:12 PM   #12

[QUOTE=lacamastraveler;1083596]
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredchief View Post
Hello everyone,

"I've experienced some cold weather recently and my camco water filter canister froze up and busted."

If you don't have a water filter I assume you haven't turned on your water yet? I don't want to be the negative guy here but if your filter froze and busted it is possible you have broken water lines. if you haven't tested yet I recommend that when you do turn on the water, turn on very slowly and look everywhere for leaks.

oh, and Go Navy

Jim
Jim,I would even go a step further and use Air 50 PSI to test with,Easy to Hear and NO WATER Cleanup! Youroo!!
Old 01-22-2016, 01:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Those are great ideas but where do I get the pieces to do this with? And what is Pex and what are shark bite fittings???
PEX is the type of flexible water pipe used in most house construction nowadays. It is also used in (most?) RVs. PEX stands for crosslinked polyethylene. Sharkbite fittings are a very convenient and reliable type of fitting for connecting the PEX tubing. You can get everything you need at Lowes, Home Depot, etc.
johntaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:19 PM   #14

It is simpler than that. Cut the white hose with the reinforcing at the filter canister with a knife ( you want a clean I.D. to seal). Cut off the clamp at the T ( I used a Dremel and cut off wheel). Using a 1/2" crimp clamp for PEX tubing (from Menards), Insert the cut white hose onto the T with the clamp in place and squeeze it closed with an end cutter. Leak check and job done.
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:41 PM   #15

Went to check on my rig in March of last year and found the water filter housing sitting on the floor of the compartment 3/4 full of what appeared to be water diluted antifreeze. Most of the threaded part of the housing had snapped off and was still in main device. Ordered a new housing and filter from Flow Pur (flowpur.com). The local RV repair shop here in Iowa says this is rather common. Water gets into the threads and then expands when freezing. He suggests just making one turn with the housing to collect any antifreeze while sitting while allowing some expansion room. As there are different model filter systems, you need to match for the right replacements. My rig requires the CCI-10-CLW housing and takes a CCI-10-Ca cartridge. Cartridges should be available at WalMart and most RV stores.
First Mate = Xiangbing
Crew = Radar, NiuNiu & NaNa
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:16 PM   #16

I believe that 40 lbs is the recommended air pressure on the water system to prevent bulging the tanks.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:42 PM   #17
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
I believe that 40 lbs is the recommended air pressure on the water system to prevent bulging the tanks.
I'm curious what tanks would 'bulge' if air pressure is added to the water system?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:03 PM   #18

I agree with WFD. I scrapped and by-passed our filter system and went with the external filter. You can buy them anywhere including Wally World.

2015 GMC Sierra
2014 Coachmen 280 RLS
PeterF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 04:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on the forum. I have read a lot on here and have learned quite a bit. I'm a newbie and recently started full timing in my cross country.

I've experienced some cold weather recently and my camco water filter canister froze up and busted. I'm trying to find a replacement.

I jumped on amazon and ordered a new camco water filter system and had it delivered in two days. However, when I tried to put the canister on, it didn't fit. Now I'm back to zero!

Does anyone have any ideas where I can get a replacement canister?

Thanks for your time!!!

Was it Camco or Pur which FR uses a lot. If the latter parts available on line only.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 05:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
Yes like 5picker ask as well,What tanks? I was being conservative at 50 Psi! Youroo!!

Tags
water, water filter