Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 15
water filter canister woes

I have tried to pull the water filter out by unscrewing the canister using the "wrench". For the life of me I cannot get the thing to budge. When I start really applying force to it, it wants to rip the screws out holding it.

I am pretty sure its not supposed to be that tight. Any suggestions? tips? etc?
__________________

__________________
dolson60174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,157
Open a faucet.
ANY pressure will make that puppy REALLY hard to get off.
__________________

__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
Dave_Monica's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,329
You've got to hold onto the top of the filter housing while using the wrench on the canister.

Dave
__________________


Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:32 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Open a faucet.
ANY pressure will make that puppy REALLY hard to get off.

That would make sense on the pressure...I will give that a try when I de-winterize in the spring! thanks!!
__________________
dolson60174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
B47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 6,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolson60174 View Post
I have tried to pull the water filter out by unscrewing the canister using the "wrench". For the life of me I cannot get the thing to budge. When I start really applying force to it, it wants to rip the screws out holding it.

I am pretty sure its not supposed to be that tight. Any suggestions? tips? etc?

Slightly off topic - but speaking of water filter cannisters, does anyone know if or where you can purchase the "O" ring that fits into the cannister?

I am in the habit of always replacing an "O" ring (s) whenever performing maintenance on a compontment that has them - guess that comes from my aviation background.

I expected to get a replacement " O" ring in the box when I purchased my first replacement filter, but none was there. I also didn't see any at CW.


Thanks.
__________________
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Slightly off topic - but speaking of water filter cannisters, does anyone know if or where you can purchase the "O" ring that fits into the cannister?

I am in the habit of always replacing an "O" ring (s) whenever performing maintenance on a compontment that has them - guess that comes from my aviation background.

I expected to get a replacement " O" ring in the box when I purchased my first replacement filter, but none was there. I also didn't see any at CW.


Thanks.
I would have to say find out who the manufacturer of that component is and contact directly or even a search on the interwebs may help. It maybe as simple as go down to HD or Lowes and find the right diameter...but again that could be TOO easy...
__________________
dolson60174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
B47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 6,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolson60174 View Post
I would have to say find out who the manufacturer of that component is and contact directly or even a search on the interwebs may help. It maybe as simple as go down to HD or Lowes and find the right diameter...but again that could be TOO easy...
Thanks - I didn't think of doing an internet search.
__________________
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:04 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Langley, BC
Posts: 582
First, as said, make sure there is no water pressure. Don't know what size/type your filter is, but sometimes there is a pressure relief button on top of the unit.

There is a special lube that is made specifically for water filter O-rings and threads (Dow-Corning, eg.). Might try some of that for next time. Sometimes the O-rings can enlarge and not fit the canister easily, especially if the sn*t got squeezed out of it, so it might be wise to have a spare on hand. O-rings and the lube are available on the internet and at wholesale plumbing places.

If you have water inside the canister, you should get the filter out and empty it if it freezes where you are.
__________________
Gil & Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
Langley, BC
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Slightly off topic - but speaking of water filter cannisters, does anyone know if or where you can purchase the "O" ring that fits into the cannister?

I am in the habit of always replacing an "O" ring (s) whenever performing maintenance on a compontment that has them - guess that comes from my aviation background.

I expected to get a replacement " O" ring in the box when I purchased my first replacement filter, but none was there. I also didn't see any at CW.


Thanks.


IF your search turns up no results call this guy ....
www.rodgersindustrial.com
hes an oring guru from way back.
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #10
B47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Keller, Texas
Posts: 6,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
IF your search turns up no results call this guy ....
www.rodgersindustrial.com
hes an oring guru from way back.
WOW - only you would know "an oring guru"

Thanks - I will keep that on file.
__________________

__________________
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38 PM.