Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2018, 10:09 AM   #1

Water Filter Change FR Micro Lite

I'm certainly not new to TTs but have never owned one with a freshwater filter before.

Question: How do I know when the fresh water filter needs changing? I know where it is but just don't want to do it unless needed.

Thanx and camping
thehossman
thehossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:18 AM   #2
Kasual Kamper

That depends on the type of filter you have, how often it's used and the condition of the water hooked up to it. The smaller micron filters will need replacing more often as water pressure diminishes. If you're a full timer, you may need to change it monthly. And when you find out what they cost (proprietary size on our rigs), you'll not want to do it too often.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:24 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

When we had our Flagstaff, we only changed it once a year, at the start of the season. New one in May, toss the old one in October.

But as was stated above, a lot of factors go into that. Quality of the water, how much it's used, how much it sits full of water and not used. Generally though, you should be able to tell both from visible inspection (does the filter look dirty) and taste (does the water taste like it's not filtered?) If either of these, replace the filter.
Old 06-07-2018, 10:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehossman View Post
I'm certainly not new to TTs but have never owned one with a freshwater filter before.

Question: How do I know when the fresh water filter needs changing? I know where it is but just don't want to do it unless needed.

Thanx and camping
thehossman

I'd recommend removing or bypassing it, they're notorious for leaking, and using a filter that's on the outside of the RV, ... the blue inline Camco is what we use, some folks build a filter unit to use, ... with either, the goal is to get the filter outside of the trailer, ...

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:46 PM   #5

Most are rated by how many gallons you run through it. But then? How do you know that? So an easy way would be to just change it out in the spring after you have winterized. You need to remove it when winterizing anyway. that way, you'll not forget. Ideal if you don't camp a TON in your Camper. I have known ppl to take out the inline filter out completely as they are a pain. In which case, yes, an outside filter connected to your hose for filling the fresh water tank manually or attaching to a CG water source would be super. Again? Depending on how much water in gallons you use would have to be a guess on your part.
mgarland48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 12:46 PM   #6
Just A Member

X2 with fella10...……...strongly recommend it!
Old 06-07-2018, 12:50 PM   #7

Regarding the blue inline Camco filter - - - If using one, hook it up to the water supply and turn it on BEFORE hooking it up to your rig! A black substance will be flushed out of the filter that you don't want in your camper's water lines!
-Rich
45RPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 01:02 PM   #8

That's charcoal.
If you change the one in your home refrigerator, you get that also and it takes a few glasses of water to flush it.

But a good idea to flush it out first so you don't fill up the grey tank.
2018 JGC Limited 4x4 w/tow
MarkDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 04:07 PM   #9

Bypass it

I just finished with my bypass, 1/2 in pvc coupler, female, threaded. Will now use inline micron filters
Lakesdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:00 PM   #10
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesdr View Post
I just finished with my bypass, 1/2 in pvc coupler, female, threaded. Will now use inline micron filters
Can you please provide a pic or part number? Thx. I need to do that too.
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:26 PM   #11
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
Can you please provide a pic or part number? Thx. I need to do that too.
Using a union like this will make the job easier.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Homewerk...-12H/204202887
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:41 AM   #12

I've been all the way around the block on this one. Due to the high price of FR filters I upgraded to a more standard polycarbonate filter housing which soon split and leaked due to contact with aerosol solvents (bug spray...spiders in the cabinetry). I bypassed the filter and purchased the Camco hose filter but then reconsidered. This would only filter water as it entered the tank or from direct hookup. I could see crud on the bottom of the fresh water tank and found it impossible to totally drain and/or flush the tank so there was the possibility of that stuff being pumped throughout the system when boondocking. Next step was to purchase another filter housing but this time it is the more durable blue one. I got the Pex crimper tool and clamps to be sure the fitting are tight. Now all of my water is filtered again as it enters the pump or shore hookup. I'm not too concerned about it leaking but we do shut off the water when we're away from the trailer.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:37 AM   #13

Not my pic sorry, but get the idea, like i said 1/2 pvc, coupler, female, threaded get it at Lowes. I believe it takes a 3/4 in open end, pretty much self explanatory
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9EA1F345-AAF6-47A9-B8DC-317E9C5E6B93.gif
Views:	98
Size:	3.47 MB
ID:	175142  

Tags
lite, water, water filter