Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2014, 06:44 AM   #1

Water filter cracked open

On Saturday I left my 2014 Roo 231kss for a hour to do a quick run to the store. When I returned I found water rushing out the back end of the camper. After quickly turning off the water and investigating what had caused this to happen, I found this, the clear filter housing for the water filter still attached put with the bottom broken off. I do have a water regulator connected so there was not excessive water pressure coming into the camper. This plastic is very thick so I believe you would need a lot of water pressure to make it brake open, which is not the case, or the housing was already damaged when installed. Since I was only gone for an house, I believe I got up all of the water before it could do any damage and the water did not spread past this compartment. The one thing I was really worried about was a water line that ran though a hole under the floor of the camper about eight feet to the sink. This was completely filled with water but was able to get it all out by raising the front of the camper and sucking it all out with a shop vac. To my surprise the hole was a metal tube and not wood so water in the tube could not spread and do more damage under the floor.

Has anyone else seen or heard of this happening? I have search on this forum for this issue but only found people having the plastic house for the filter unscrewing out.

I am talking the part to the dealer for a warranty claim. I am also considering taking out this water filter, connecting the water line and just using an external water filter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	water filter.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	49263

Click image for larger version

Name:	water.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	49264
erikmpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:59 AM   #2

Welcome,I don't know where you live but it must be Cold,looks like Freeze damage? Or by being a 14 they transported it to you thru freezeing conditions? Really need more Info! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:30 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikmpower View Post
I am also considering taking out this water filter, connecting the water line and just using an external water filter.
This is your BEST option. Many of us have done exactly that.
Also have seeen posts from folks who said their canister cracked.
I believe some said they had stored it winterized full of antifreeze.
Some theories were the antifreeze expanded and cracked the filter.

I removed my filter the 1st year when I found it impossible to drain
without making a mess in the pass thru storage where it was located.
I use a "whole house" filter with hose adapters on my city water inlet.
I use the same filter to filter water if I'm filling my tank.
Hope you get yours dried out and back to camping!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:57 AM   #4

either freeze like stated above or if the housing had a crack in it from possibly being dropped and was over pressured it blew out the bottom

you can go to walmart or home depot and get a replacement - may have to buy a complete housing unit but in a pinch they work

I wouldnt take it out but that is me
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:57 AM   #5

I bought the camper in Houston TX and I am currently in Panama City Beach FL, so freezing I believe is out of the question.

I think the housing had been dropped or damaged prior to install or could a faulty filter and or a clogged filter that was not allowing water to pass through have cause it to become over pressurized? The filter has been installed for only 5 months.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:08 AM   #6
Site Team

Sometimes they just break. The transparent ones are more prone
to breakage than the kind you can't see thru.
This is a warranty issue in your case.
I -guess- they would also be willing to fix water damage since you've
done the best you could to minimize it.
This is one reason why I recommend removing it to the outside.
Good luck!
Old 04-07-2014, 02:51 PM   #7

So when I went to the nearest Forest River dealer, which is Camping World. The warranty person there tells me that it looked like it is cracked because of it being frozen and that Florida has recently had freezing temps and Forest River is not covering damage due to stuff being frozen. We did experience freezing temps in Florida, but that was back in January and camper was not here. I explained to him that the camper was in South Texas then where it did not freeze. So Camping World called the person at Forest River that handles warranty’s and explained to him that I had no clue to how it had cracked open and it could be possible that it was damaged prior to being installed. I should have used the word defective with them, not damaged. Forest River tells me that this probably broke from it being frozen and that they do not cover that, but will replace it out of "good faith". Forest River then tells me that he has no notes from me about it being broken prior and if it was damaged prior to being installed, why I had not reported it then. I told him I had never handled or messed with the filter till this incident. I believe that I did get all the water up before any permanent damage could happened but asked Forest River what if there is water damage, how will this be handled. He tells me again that he has no prior notes from me explaining that it was damaged and that they would not be responsible for water damage that this had caused because I did not report the filter being damaged prior nor do they cover for freeze damage.
On a side note, I also have a problem with the air mattress that is used with the couch. First time I opened it, which was a week ago, I found a hole in it. After talking with the Forest River rep, I showed Camping World the defective air mattress. He tells me that it looks like it was dragged or caught it the couch when it folds up and that Forest River probably would not cover this. WTF?!?
Old 04-07-2014, 03:07 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Welcome,I don't know where you live but it must be Cold,looks like Freeze damage? Or by being a 14 they transported it to you thru freezeing conditions? Really need more Info! Youroo!!

I agree with youroo. My father in law, who has been RVing for 50 years had his first filter canister break this winter. We had more sub freezing temps than normal in north Louisiana this year. Glad I drained and blew out my lines ahead of the first freeze.
Hope you get it all back like new.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:20 PM   #9
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Gray hairs today make great campfires for the families.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:32 PM   #10
Site Team

did you talk to the FR warranty person directly or was this what the dealer said the FR warranty person said?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:38 PM   #11

I was in the office with the dealer while he had Forest River on speaker phone and was talking with him directly.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:43 AM   #12
Engineer of Crazy Train

My tech at my dealer said to drain all the antifreeze from the filter because he has seen them crack when full of antifreeze. Too late now, but maybe a tip for others. I used the antifreeze in the filter housing to pour down my P-traps and toilet.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using the FRF mobile app.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:40 PM   #13
Site Team

We have heard others say their filter cracked after sitting full of
antifreeze. No idea why but this is not the 1st time I've heard of it.
MY theory is the filter was full of water and not enough antifreeze got in
there to completely flush out all the water.
I know I would not let mine sit full of anything- water OR antifreeze
all winter for this reason.
YMMV.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66

Tags
water, water filter