Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2014, 11:51 AM   #1

Water Filter Housing Question

I have a 2015 Sierra Select 32Qbbs and the water filter is inside the basement. I made a huge mess when I was winterizing. I removed the housing to remove the filter before I started adding antifreeze and a ton of water was coming out of the lines. A bucket won't fit under it and small containers weren't an option at the time. My question is: What does everyone else do or is there a way to drain the housing?
Thanks
Here's a pic:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water filter in basement.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	66174  

2015 Sierra 32QBBS-23 nights camped since the end of June 2014
2015-sorry to say only 11 nights so far, more to come though
Shinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:40 PM   #2

No way to drain the housing without removing and inverting it. Ours is located under a kitchen counter. I place an old wash cloth and a small bowl under it, unscrew it and let the canister rest in the bowl. Ease the filter down from its connection letting it drop into the canister and remove the canister and filter from under the counter as it sits in the bowl. At most there are a few drops of water on the floor below the filter housing that is easily cleaned up with the wash cloth. I am thinking about drilling the bottom of the canister and threading it to 1/8" NPT and installing a small drain valve.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:45 PM   #3

I would scream if mine was under a counter. I had the water in the housing and an additional quart come out. I made a mess in the basement, I couldn't imagine under a counter. I like the idea of the drain, thanks

2015 Sierra 32QBBS-23 nights camped since the end of June 2014
2015-sorry to say only 11 nights so far, more to come though
Shinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:54 PM   #4

I use an ice cream bucket, and drop the housing and filter into it. Hardly a drop spilled. May want to open low point drains and open faucets to take all pressure off if you got that much extra water coming out .
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinny View Post
I would scream if mine was under a counter. I had the water in the housing and an additional quart come out. I made a mess in the basement, I couldn't imagine under a counter. I like the idea of the drain, thanks
Before blowing the lines I opened low point drains and opened all faucets. When lines were drained I caped low point drains and removed filter canister and filter. Emptied canister and placed empty canister back into housing and blew out the lines. Got about another cup of water in the canister, removed, emptied and left off till it's close to time to travel again. No Mess. I do plan on a bypass around the filter and a drain on the canister.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:52 PM   #6

I had the same mess when replacing the water filter. I learned that I had the water pump on. Once I turned it off, it stop. By that time I had water all over the floor. Did not feel good.
jonwisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:55 AM   #7
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Remove it. Or, remove the filter inside it and use an external filter (blue tube).
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:45 PM   #8
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by donanddona View Post
Remove it. Or, remove the filter inside it and use an external filter (blue tube).
x2...a search in the forums here will give you all kinds of nightmares people have had with these filters...after reading them, I removed ours before ever putting a drop of water through the trailer. Bypassed it, and now use an outside filter. If ever there is a leak, it's outside, and come winterizing time...no hassles.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:49 PM   #9

I bypassed mine and removed it. I made a bracket on the outside of the trailer. Now I hang it on the trailer and hook up the short hose to the trailer, and the long hose to the spigot... No winterizing issues, ever.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:20 PM   #10
ARLO

38 years and 9 trailers never had a water filter and I am still here. Our current Flagstaff has one and it is a pain in the rear to maintain. I am even debating the necessity. Most of the places we frequent are city water anyway.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water filter