Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2014, 09:41 PM   #21

The whole canister would fall off filter and all . tent2tt I would use some sort of filter..inside or out.
2 friends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 02:16 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
X2 - this sounds like what the problem is
Pressure regulator was used. The problem is a garbage design.

2015 Sunseeker 3010ds
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 03:40 PM   #23

Anybody have a picture of said filter?...........On my 2014 2516G..........I had to take the whole filter housing out to insert the filter and then install it back in.........no real room to wrench it off with filter wrench and the amount of torque I had to use to seal the clear base back to the housing would have ripped it out of the mounting bracket.
Trevor43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:15 PM   #24

I have the same problem that few days ago. Here is a tip that I found on the forum.

Before installing the canister, dry off all of the threads on the canister and inside the housing. Then tighten as much as you can. Seems the wet threads can't hold very well.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 04-28-2014, 11:06 PM   #25

On my 2014 26 RLS, no problem so far but can't get an answer as to what brand or part number the filter element is. Bill R
Bill R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:08 PM   #26

water filter night mare

Sound more and more like poor design.....fr should have left well enough alone...should think about recall before lots more unhappy campers start complaining
Old 04-29-2014, 09:19 PM   #27
WFD

I removed our filter tonight...brand new trailer, and decided I wanted it out before we even take our first trip...just joined the lines together afterwards using the Sea Tech connections....seeing as we are still getting nights around freezing mark and a couple degrees colder than freezing, I havent charged the system yet to make sure my connections are good...will have to wait about another week for that...fingers are crossed...heard many good things about the Sea Tech connections.
WFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 06:03 PM   #28

Add me to the list! 2015 Shamrock, it unscrews itself!! Right now we have the wrench wedged in holding it in place!
hockeyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:11 PM   #29

Experienced same nightmare

Purchased 2014 Solaire 7 about two months ago. Have gone on two trips with no problems. About 5 this morning I hear water but think it is rain and dozed back to sleep (bad, bad, bad idea!). Woke up again and I hear the water again but this time I look out the window and see the sun shining. Shake my hubby awake, swing my feet off the bed and step into an inch of water and now scream at my still half awake husband that something is wrong! ran out of the trailer and shut off the water still not knowing exactly what's wrong. Have to turn on the water again to find out it was coming from the storage area. Open it up, removed the wall around the water filter and their was the filter and casing lying
Ion the floor. The water was throughout the trailer and after spending a couple of hours cleaning up, we put the filter back on no problem. Thinking it was operator error we ran out to do some errands and come back to a wet floor and carpet AGAIN! look in the compartment and someone had seen it happening again and shut the water off. Again we reattached the filter, turned on the water and watched the thing unscrew itself. We did this a couple of times and it kept happening. So now we have a enclosed underbelly full of water (how the heck do we fix that?!?) and a trailer that is drying out in 90+ degree weather with the fans on, hoping it will dry out, and no water for the remainder of the trip. Does anyone know if this is covered by warranty? Not sure why it wouldn't be.
soldanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:15 PM   #30

Let me know if it is, I can't even get the dealer to call me back about it!
hockeyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:01 AM   #31
WFD

I am very sorry to hear about all this water damage you experienced...I will be very surprised if they cover your damage under warranty. They will say its operator error and cant be held liable for it. Please report back to us as to how it plays out.
This is a perfect example of why a person should just remove that blasted filter and have one on the outside of the RV.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:16 AM   #32

I would open everything up and then use a wet/dry vac to suckup as much water as possible, then I would place fans pointed down at a slight angle and let them run for as long as it takes to dry it out.
Then I would remove and bypass the filter and toss it in the garbage because that is what it is.
An above post has a filter mod to go with or buy the blue one from Walmart.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:13 AM   #33

Ours is going back to factory for floor replacement in oct...had it professionally tested for wetness in floor . Wrote letter to dealer cc forest river about mold concerns and severe allergies. .they know there's a problem so press your dealer. Should be warranteed
Old 06-29-2014, 11:51 AM   #34
Wanna Be Camper

That just sounds bizarre at best. The filter assembly in our trailer actually locks under pressure and you cannot get it loose unless you open a faucet to let the water pressure off and I only ever tighten mine finger tight almost like putting an oil filter on an engine. We have basically the same unit in the house and it works the same. It sounds like there is an issue with how the new housings are threaded or lack of threading.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:11 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Has anybody tried plumbers tape? Has this helped. Reading this I'm getting nervous about the whole system water filtration unit in the sabre we are picking up in a couple of weeks. Thanks.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:30 PM   #36

We have temporarily rigged it with the wrench on it and placed the wrench on the canister and put the handle up against the wall in such a way that it prevents the canister from unscrewing and then we duct taped it for extra measure. Have to get the trailer in sometime between our trips to get it evaluated. Dried it out as much as we could at the campsite and will ventilate while at storage lot. When we pulled it out if the campsite water came pouring out. I take it water is sitting in the enclosed underbelly. Hoping the three hour trip back home in 90+ degree, no humidity will dry it out some more.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:33 PM   #37

Anaro...either make them put on a different model (by the posts it sounds like FR has changed the system which is causing the problem) or have them by pass it totally and use an external system (we are going to do that for peace of mind).
Old 06-29-2014, 02:21 PM   #38

This is what i did to help support the weight of the filter housing and to keep it from unscrewing. plywood is a snug fit. Notches are cut in plywood. This should prevent filter from moving or unscrewing
Danny
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	waterfilter.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	56681   Click image for larger version

Name:	waterfilter2.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	56682  
Old 06-29-2014, 03:28 PM   #39

The one on my popup doesn't look like that............still should I be concerned?
Trevor43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:34 PM   #40

Trevor...it seems to be this specific filter, the FR1, that is giving people issues.

Tags
water, water filter