Old 04-20-2014, 07:53 PM   #1

water filter nightmare

We recently purchased a 2014 flagstaff super lite travel trailer. On our first trip out with the trailer this past week ended in our nightmare. We had been fine for three days , on the night of day four the water filter and canister fell off the housing, after mopping up the water and resetting the filter ( we are not newbies to camping or water filters past shamrock owners) we went back to sleep only to be a woken at 5 am for a second go round of the same. We mopped up again reset again and put a water pressure regulator on the faucet. We went to have coffee with a friend only to return to more water for a third time. It seems like the water pressure was unscrewing the canister from the housing...sounds weird but true. We have been great forest river fans but this was very disappointing. Needless to say the trailer is now at the dealer for repair/replaement. Any ideas on what went wrong and how to prevent it from happening again. We purchased it with antifreeze still in it but was flushed out before putting it in our seasonal site.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:11 PM   #2

Replace it. Mine was actually caught during dealer prep and replaced before I went to pick it up. Sounds like what they described to me. They put a different style on.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:13 PM   #3

Not sure what model you have , But mine is 2014 26RLWS and it came with a filter wrench to tighten it. I have not had any problems. Been out 4times already this year. I would also make sure the pressure reg. Is good might by chance have a bad one. But also mine filter actually locks in place but i still had to use the filter wrench to get it in position.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:17 PM   #4

I had the exact same experience with my Microlite 23lb. The thing that aggravated me was that I had looked at that stupid filter, thought "that's a stupid design, I am going to bypass it", and didn't do it.
First camping trip, BLAM, water everywhere. After puttong it back on I sat and watched it unscrew itself.
$105 later for a road repair guy, there is 6 inches of pex where it used to be and an external inline filter when I camp.

2015 Sunseeker 3010ds
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:18 PM   #5

I never actually saw the one mine came with since they caught it before I got to it, but the way they described it, they couldn't get it locked and it kept getting blown off when they put pressure on it. Sounds like the same thing as 2 friends...may be a defect in some of them. I'd think about replacing it with one from Lowe's or Home Depot....the filters for those are a whole lot cheaper.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:51 PM   #6

KW1 Filter

I had a very similar experience in our 2104s mini lite. We've been out on 4 trips now without a problem. The housing blew off after we set up in fredericksburg, tx this last weekend. I took the KW1 filter out and it was VERY heavy with sediments. I left it out and screwed the canister back on and it blew off within a minute. After a couple of more tries and clean ups, I called my dealer and they reminded me that I should use my filter wrench to tighten. That turned out to work fine, but I still left the water off at night and if we went away from the trailer for any amount of time. I want to switch out the filter to one tat has a locking canister...any recommendations.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:56 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Could you have lost the rubber gasket when you changed the filter?

Seems odd that water pressure will "unscrew" the housing. The mechanical advantage is WAY in the wrong direction.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:00 PM   #8

The rubber gasket was in tact...I just don't think I had it tight enough until I used the wrench.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:03 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlewis90 View Post
The rubber gasket was in tact...I just don't think I had it tight enough until I used the wrench.
Sorry, I was replying to the original poster; "2 friends"

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:07 PM   #10

My dealer had mentioned FR starting to use a new housing design. Sounds like some of them may have some problems staying together. Counting mine, that'll be about the fifth 2014 model I've heard of it happening on.

Tags
water, water filter