Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2015, 07:30 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashog View Post
Here what mine looks like. the braided nylon is on the output side. In the picture on the upper right you can see the braided nylon going to a "T" and blue Pex coming off it. That braided nylon is what's coming off the filter output side. I was thinking about cutting the Pex crimp band there and come out with a 90 degree elbow with Pex and eliminate that nylon hose completely. But I have concerns on reusing/re-crimping on that plastic "T". wow, it's no easy to explain.
I would not crimp over an old site, buy more PEX if you need to.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:36 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
I would not crimp over an old site, buy more PEX if you need to.
Maybe you're saying the same thing. Removing a Pex crimp band and removing the braided nylon hose from the plastic "T". Replace with new Blue Pex tubing and crimping on the existing plastic Tee where the braided nylon was. I'm thinking that would be a no no.. The plastic 'T' might develop cracks and split over time if the plastic 'T' is re-used???

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:42 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashog View Post
Maybe you're saying the same thing. Removing a Pex crimp band and removing the braided nylon hose from the plastic "T". Replace with Pex and crimping on the existing plastic Tee where the braided nylon was. I'm thinking that would be a no no..
I would not worry about the "T" fitting itself the Pex is what get compressed the most.

New bands and Pex is what I would get.

However it is your unit if you want to replace the fitting and associated parts then do so.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:51 PM   #24

What are you talking about?

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinpr View Post
Just got off the phone with the local FR dealer. They want $44 for the replacement cartridge. a KW1...... Not going to Happen!!! Very displeased with this crappy piece of equipment.

Has anyone changed out the whole filter body and top?? Do you have much hose to work with ? My hose seems fairly short coming out of the walled compartment. Wondering if there is some extra hose length within the compartment, as in behind the wall. The Unit is Columbus 365rl 2014

Other than this piece of junk filter system, the trailer has been great, just love it.
If you ask any dealer for the most part they will only sell you what it came with from the factory, and the factory filter element is a extra fine filter, and if you go to home depot those filters run into the hundreds of dollars, but you can use any whole house water filter from any brand in the housing.
There is nothing wrong with what you have you just need to do some shopping and see what items cost, so just go to any big box store and get a hole house filter that meets your needs and install it and go camping you will be fine.
Now if you want more than what the factory installed yes you can get crazy with filters and water softeners and much more but if you just need a new filter you have all you will ever need without changing any filter housings.
So go enjoy your coach and Happy Camping
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:53 PM   #25

It will be difficult to get back in there and replace the "T". It will be easy (cut one band off, add new pex tubing and 2 elbows to bypassing filter) if I reusing the plastic "T". Sounds like that not a problem, great thanks...

Old 10-02-2015, 05:07 AM   #26

You can reuse the plastic T. If you don't have access to Pex crimpers you can also use sharkbite fittings. They slip on and lock in place. Good for copper, pex and PVC. Hell, half of the fittings in the house I had built are sharkbite.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:50 AM   #27

I did like most and eliminated my on-board water filter and went with the blue inline filter that most have. The on-board water filter was hard to get at and was a pain when winterizing. After a few back aches bending into the storage area to even reach the filter I said forget this and removed the entire filter assembly and plumbed in a straight piece of pex tubing. The outside inline filter is much easier and will never look to installing a onboard filter again.
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:49 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FroggyRon View Post
I just bought a KW1 from Hannah Trailer Supply in Oak Creek Wisconsin for $28.99 with free shipping. Had it in Maine within a few days. Like a lot of folks, I may change out the unit in the future. There's a lot of discussion on the forum if you do a search on water filter.
Did the same but ordered 2 and had it delivered to my site in Texas. Took about 10 minutes to change filter. I also use an outside filter and am able to drink water right from my tap.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:04 AM   #29

Replaced mine with a dual filter system. One canister contains a sediment filter and the other a carbon filter. I have great water quality from either hook up or tank, and can drink from any tap. The link below has all the information you need to make a informed decision on filters and everything water quality related.

RV Water Filter Store: Standard Filter Canisters for Whole RV
mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:53 AM   #30

I eliminated my water filter altogether. Look at post #5 on the following link to see how I did it:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ves-45382.html
Your filter and the location of it may be different than mine, but the above link will give you an idea of how it can be done without Pex fittings. I removed it two years ago and it hasn't leaked yet.
https://www.glenphotos.com
WatkinsGlenCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:15 AM   #31
Mod free 5er

Just buy a 1/2" or 3/4" pvc union and replace the complete filter canister with the union. No new tubing/hoses, etc needed. Might take 10 minutes.
Attached Images

OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:19 AM   #32

The way FR plumbed my filter at least one threaded elbow that's attached to the filter will have to be cut off. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Old 10-02-2015, 09:49 AM   #33

I have been told there is a plug you can use to bypass the filter canister,,,
Not sure that is true,,, could never find one !!! Our house fridge came with one !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:55 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Just buy a 1/2" or 3/4" pvc union and replace the complete filter canister with the union. No new tubing/hoses, etc needed. Might take 10 minutes.
Guess that may depend on where your filter is installed !!!
Took me a couple of hours to replace our unit in our Sunseeker,,,
It is installed tight under a tank !!! Looks as if the tank was installed after filter plumbing was done ???
Old 10-05-2015, 06:24 PM   #35

We use both an outside mounted filter and the stock inside one. The inside one is a little cumbersome but not real bad. Try Amazon for replacement.
camper Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 08:53 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grn_Mtns View Post
YA really ought to change these cartridges & filters.The plastic is too thin. We got flooded after I forgot to put on the pressure reducer for 65#s and the side of the housing cracked after a few days.
It just takes 10 mins to by pass the cartridge if you have a pex crimper.
The canister in our Sunseeker seams to be much heaver plastic than that ??? Even so it froze and broke last winter,,, along with the head !!!
Some how I left water in it ??? Blew out all the lines,,, added 2 or 3 gallons of anti freeze,,, but did not make sure canister was empty !!!
THAT IS NOT HAPPENING AGAIN !!!
Old 10-06-2015, 09:05 AM   #37

I think soon the filter will go away in mine too. I didn't notice any kind of check valve between the fresh water city inlet and the tank. Is there one? How is FR preventing the potable tank from filling when you are connected to city water, not by the soley by the check valve in the pump?
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:14 AM   #38

I answered this thread earlier on a place to buy a replacement cartridge. Last night while sitting at dinner, I heard a bang from outside that I thought might be from the campground workshop, until my wife said we didn't have any water. I went outside and the water was pouring from the bottom of the coach! Half of the bottom of the water filter canister was blown out. I removed the entire assembly by cutting the pipes, went to Lowes, bought a piece of tubing and a couple of snap together Pex fittings (no tools required) for about $12, and fixed the problem. I'll get a different filter system soon. If you read this and related threads, I'm not the first one this has happened to. That housing is junk! 😡

2014 Georgetown 377XL
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude 4X4 Toad
FroggyRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 08:34 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by FroggyRon View Post
I answered this thread earlier on a place to buy a replacement cartridge. Last night while sitting at dinner, I heard a bang from outside that I thought might be from the campground workshop, until my wife said we didn't have any water. I went outside and the water was pouring from the bottom of the coach! Half of the bottom of the water filter canister was blown out. I removed the entire assembly by cutting the pipes, went to Lowes, bought a piece of tubing and a couple of snap together Pex fittings (no tools required) for about $12, and fixed the problem. I'll get a different filter system soon. If you read this and related threads, I'm not the first one this has happened to. That housing is junk! ��

2014 Georgetown 377XL
Were you hooked to city water ???
Wonder how much pressure you had on that line ???
Old 10-15-2015, 11:42 AM   #40

City water. Not sure what the pressure was, but there are seasonal campers around me without any pressure regulators. As others have said, I think it's substandard plastic in the housing.

2014 Georgetown 377XL
FroggyRon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water filter