Old 09-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTOH View Post
If I turn the bypass on can I empty the hot water tank? I Ask this as i am hooked up at a state park with no fresh water hookup and I do not have any containers to fill the fresh water tank while there. I will be here for a few more weeks before heading home.
Sounds like your going to have to wait.
You need to fill with bleach then flush thru system, then refill with fw and flush again.

Turbs

Old 09-11-2013, 08:33 AM   #12
Denver, CO

That then is a hoarse of a different color. It will be difficult to sanitize without a ready supply of water.

Yes, you can shut of the bypass valves and drain your HW tank. But not sure what that will get you.

You may have to just put up with it until you get to a place you can sanitize as Daisy Boykin mentioned. If you are using the electric element in the HW tank, you can turn that off and run on gas to see if that helps, sometimes the electric element makes the smell worse in my experience.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
If you are using the electric element in the HW tank, you can turn that off and run on gas to see if that helps, sometimes the electric element makes the smell worse in my experience.
I concur.

Turbs
Old 09-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #14

That's what I thought. I do not even have my hot water tank heated for this trip. Its easier to heat a pan of water for dishes and we use the parks bathrooms and such. I might as well wait on the filter then as well as I don't want to have more debris from hw tank going in the canister with new filter
Old 09-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
That's what I thought. I do not even have my hot water tank heated for this trip. Its easier to heat a pan of water for dishes and we use the parks bathrooms and such. I might as well wait on the filter then as well as I don't want to have more debris from hw tank going in the canister with new filter
In the future I'd suggest..... "and this is my opinion" draining the wh tank after each use if your not going to use it again right away.
I've done this for years after having the "smell" and have never had it return.
I also leave the anode rod out .
Again "my" preference.

One other really good thing to do is go to walmart and buy a bottle of "taste pure" fw tank additive and before filling the fresh water tank put about an ounce or two in the end of your hose before turning on and filling tank.

Turbs
Old 09-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post

In the future I'd suggest..... "and this is my opinion" draining the wh tank after each use if your not going to use it again right away.
I've done this for years after having the "smell" and have never had it return.
I also leave the anode rod out .
Again "my" preference.

One other really good thing to do is go to walmart and buy a bottle of "taste pure" fw tank additive and before filling the fresh water tank put about an ounce or two in the end of your hose before turning on and filling tank.

Turbs
What's the taste pure do?
Old 09-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

http://www.camco.net/Products/Item?p...2#.UjCFN9y3PFo
Old 09-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #18

Nice will definitely get a bottle of that. I only fill my tank when I need to for a weekend and empty it when done as I don't care for the taste of still standing water in the tank. This will help on that issue
Old 09-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Nice will definitely get a bottle of that. I only fill my tank when I need to for a weekend and empty it when done as I don't care for the taste of still standing water in the tank. This will help on that issue
I keep a bottle on hand at all times and lasts a long time.

I sometimes add an ounce to the hose even when using city water connection.

Good luck.

Turbs