Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 08:30 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTOH View Post
If I turn the bypass on can I empty the hot water tank? I Ask this as i am hooked up at a state park with no fresh water hookup and I do not have any containers to fill the fresh water tank while there. I will be here for a few more weeks before heading home.
Sounds like your going to have to wait.
You need to fill with bleach then flush thru system, then refill with fw and flush again.

Turbs
__________________

__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:33 AM   #12
Denver, CO
 
garbonz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 1,905
That then is a hoarse of a different color. It will be difficult to sanitize without a ready supply of water.

Yes, you can shut of the bypass valves and drain your HW tank. But not sure what that will get you.

You may have to just put up with it until you get to a place you can sanitize as Daisy Boykin mentioned. If you are using the electric element in the HW tank, you can turn that off and run on gas to see if that helps, sometimes the electric element makes the smell worse in my experience.
__________________

__________________
2007 Chevy 2500HD Classic LBZ Duramax/Allison (Stock)
2005 Bigfoot 1500C8.2 AWESOME
garbonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
If you are using the electric element in the HW tank, you can turn that off and run on gas to see if that helps, sometimes the electric element makes the smell worse in my experience.
I concur.


Turbs
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 91
That's what I thought. I do not even have my hot water tank heated for this trip. Its easier to heat a pan of water for dishes and we use the parks bathrooms and such. I might as well wait on the filter then as well as I don't want to have more debris from hw tank going in the canister with new filter
__________________
BLTOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTOH View Post
That's what I thought. I do not even have my hot water tank heated for this trip. Its easier to heat a pan of water for dishes and we use the parks bathrooms and such. I might as well wait on the filter then as well as I don't want to have more debris from hw tank going in the canister with new filter
In the future I'd suggest..... "and this is my opinion" draining the wh tank after each use if your not going to use it again right away.
I've done this for years after having the "smell" and have never had it return.
I also leave the anode rod out .
Again "my" preference.

One other really good thing to do is go to walmart and buy a bottle of "taste pure" fw tank additive and before filling the fresh water tank put about an ounce or two in the end of your hose before turning on and filling tank.


Turbs
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:54 AM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post

In the future I'd suggest..... "and this is my opinion" draining the wh tank after each use if your not going to use it again right away.
I've done this for years after having the "smell" and have never had it return.
I also leave the anode rod out .
Again "my" preference.

One other really good thing to do is go to walmart and buy a bottle of "taste pure" fw tank additive and before filling the fresh water tank put about an ounce or two in the end of your hose before turning on and filling tank.

Turbs
What's the taste pure do?
__________________
BLTOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
http://www.camco.net/Products/Item?p...2#.UjCFN9y3PFo
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 91
Nice will definitely get a bottle of that. I only fill my tank when I need to for a weekend and empty it when done as I don't care for the taste of still standing water in the tank. This will help on that issue
__________________
BLTOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTOH View Post
Nice will definitely get a bottle of that. I only fill my tank when I need to for a weekend and empty it when done as I don't care for the taste of still standing water in the tank. This will help on that issue
I keep a bottle on hand at all times and lasts a long time.

I sometimes add an ounce to the hose even when using city water connection.

Good luck.


Turbs
__________________

__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:52 PM.