Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #1

water filter question

I put in a new filter at the beginning of the season. I am camping all this month from fresh water tank. The water smells bad when I turn it on so I checked the filter. The container the filter is in has a bunch of big chunks of debris in it. I was going to just change the filter and clean that area out of the debris. Can I do this without emptying my fresh water tank?
BLTOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
Canadian Member

You could. You just need to turn off the pump and open a faucet to release any pressure in the system, and then you can remove the filter housing. However, I'd want to investigate where those "big chunks of debris" came from.

The bad smell may be from the water itself rather than anything in the filter. Our local city water gets a musty smell this time of year as algae in the lake begins to die off. Its not harmful, just smells bad.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Roten egg smell?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #4

Yeah rotten egg musty smell to it...not sure on the debris unless it was from camping earlier in the year being hooked up to a water connection
Old 09-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
Denver, CO

Could be the hot water heating element. That used to happen to me. If you've had the unit awhile then that probably not it.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Sanitize and flush system with bleach.
1/4 cup per 15 gallon of water.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:59 PM   #7

Should I do that with the hot water tank area as well? Or by pass the hot water tank?
Old 09-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTOH View Post
Should I do that with the hot water tank area as well? Or by pass the hot water tank?
With hw tank in.
that's where the smell is coming from.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Drain the hotwater tank

Make sure you turn off the electric and gas to the hot water tank.

Turn off the pump, relieve the water pressure, make sure water in the hot water tank is cold. Remove the anode rod at the bottom of the tank. Drain
and flush the hot water tank.

I sanitize my fresh water system by draining the fresh water tank, remove
the filter from the filter cartridge, fill fresh water tank about 1/2 full, add 1/4 cup of bleach to F/W Tank, fill tank until full. Open fresh water faucets in bath and kitchen until you smell bleach. close cold water faucets. Now open the hot water faucets in bath and kitchen until you smell bleach. Finish filling fresh water tank again, let set for at least 12 hours. Drain fresh water tank,
refill F/W tank until full for the second time. Open the cold water faucets, flush the cold lines to remove the bleach water, close. Open the hot water
faucets, flush to remove the bleach water. Drain hot water tank to remove
bleach water. Fill F/W tank until full, drain until empty. Refill F/W tank for the third time, flush all lines, drain tank again. Refill for your trip!

I only drain the Hot water tank and flush in the spring and also inspect the anode for replacement. It takes a 1 1/16" socket to remove the anode rod.

I do not use a filter in the filter canister that is installed, instead I use the
water filters purchased at walmart and change the filter every 14 days of use. WalMart now has two filters in the same package for around $25.00.(???)

seems like a long process, but it keeps my water from smelling bad.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:23 AM   #10

If I turn the bypass on can I empty the hot water tank? I Ask this as i am hooked up at a state park with no fresh water hookup and I do not have any containers to fill the fresh water tank while there. I will be here for a few more weeks before heading home.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:30 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
If I turn the bypass on can I empty the hot water tank? I Ask this as i am hooked up at a state park with no fresh water hookup and I do not have any containers to fill the fresh water tank while there. I will be here for a few more weeks before heading home.
Sounds like your going to have to wait.
You need to fill with bleach then flush thru system, then refill with fw and flush again.

Turbs
Old 09-11-2013, 07:33 AM   #12
Denver, CO

That then is a hoarse of a different color. It will be difficult to sanitize without a ready supply of water.

Yes, you can shut of the bypass valves and drain your HW tank. But not sure what that will get you.

You may have to just put up with it until you get to a place you can sanitize as Daisy Boykin mentioned. If you are using the electric element in the HW tank, you can turn that off and run on gas to see if that helps, sometimes the electric element makes the smell worse in my experience.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:38 AM   #13
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
If you are using the electric element in the HW tank, you can turn that off and run on gas to see if that helps, sometimes the electric element makes the smell worse in my experience.
I concur.

Turbs
Old 09-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #14

That's what I thought. I do not even have my hot water tank heated for this trip. Its easier to heat a pan of water for dishes and we use the parks bathrooms and such. I might as well wait on the filter then as well as I don't want to have more debris from hw tank going in the canister with new filter
Old 09-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
That's what I thought. I do not even have my hot water tank heated for this trip. Its easier to heat a pan of water for dishes and we use the parks bathrooms and such. I might as well wait on the filter then as well as I don't want to have more debris from hw tank going in the canister with new filter
In the future I'd suggest..... "and this is my opinion" draining the wh tank after each use if your not going to use it again right away.
I've done this for years after having the "smell" and have never had it return.
I also leave the anode rod out .
Again "my" preference.

One other really good thing to do is go to walmart and buy a bottle of "taste pure" fw tank additive and before filling the fresh water tank put about an ounce or two in the end of your hose before turning on and filling tank.

Turbs
Old 09-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post

In the future I'd suggest..... "and this is my opinion" draining the wh tank after each use if your not going to use it again right away.
I've done this for years after having the "smell" and have never had it return.
I also leave the anode rod out .
Again "my" preference.

One other really good thing to do is go to walmart and buy a bottle of "taste pure" fw tank additive and before filling the fresh water tank put about an ounce or two in the end of your hose before turning on and filling tank.

Turbs
What's the taste pure do?
Old 09-11-2013, 09:59 AM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

http://www.camco.net/Products/Item?p...2#.UjCFN9y3PFo
Old 09-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #18

Nice will definitely get a bottle of that. I only fill my tank when I need to for a weekend and empty it when done as I don't care for the taste of still standing water in the tank. This will help on that issue
Old 09-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Nice will definitely get a bottle of that. I only fill my tank when I need to for a weekend and empty it when done as I don't care for the taste of still standing water in the tank. This will help on that issue
I keep a bottle on hand at all times and lasts a long time.

I sometimes add an ounce to the hose even when using city water connection.

Good luck.

Turbs