Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2016, 09:44 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 12,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitNine View Post
Yep. Even when not plugged, more effort is required to pull water through a better filter. Even if the difference is minimal, there is a difference.
I have to weight in here,I have NOT seen a "Suction Filter" on any RV ! The Filter is located to "Filter water From city Water and on the Pressure side of the F/W pump" there is a Small screen on the suction side of some Pumps but it is Not a Filter! Youroo!!
__________________

__________________
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:59 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 139
Push or pull, it's moot. More restrictive filters will result in more work for the pump.
__________________

__________________
TV: 2013 Ram 2500 4x4 mega cab w/6.7l Cummins
Trailer: 2013 Palomino Puma 27SBU
bitNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:00 PM   #13
Global Nomad
 
Scheinin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: In my 36CKTS 5th Wheel
Posts: 249
Water Filter

I use those blue inline Camco filters from Walmart. However, when I am filling my fresh water tank, I add a 5 micron filter, since I don't care how long it takes to fill.
__________________
Steven J. Scheinin
2015 RAM 3500 4X4
6.7L CTD Dually pulling a
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS


Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:09 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 76
The KW1 is five micron. It is designed for use with this pump. It is a 10,000 gallon or one year filter. Retail price is $30. You cannot get this much filtration for only $30 in any store. Get them from the Forest River Electonics Division at the Rally three for $25. The only way they leak is freezing.
__________________
2016 Berkshire XLT 43a
TwiceTheIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:11 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
caper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,973
Quote:
A smaller micron will plug faster than a larger micron as it will remove more debris. A plugged filter would starve the pump and could cause it to overheat.
The filter is after the pump, it will not cause it to starve. The restricted flow would be no different the just opening the valve part way and letting the water flow. It could cause the pump to cycle more often.
__________________
Terry and Janet
2008 3001W Windjammer
2007 Ford F150
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:39 PM   #16
Camper
 
Tracer215AIR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 35
Big Blue 10"

I installed a big blue 10" under the bed that only filters the city water intake. This way the storage water and the pump have no issues. Depending on the frequency of camping, these will last all year and make setup/breakdown even easier when you don't have to disassemble the Walmart inline filters every time. FYI, every time you unplug the Camco activated carbon filters, their water drains out and the worst thing you can do once your carbon is wet, is to have it dry out until the next time you camp.
Here is a pic of last years filter: http://www.forestriverforums.com/Pho...php?photo=3838

This was a 5 micron. The better the first stage, the better your GAC/KDM55 will last. Since I have a small camper, I don't need high flow. So this year I'm going with the 1 micron. I will see how long it lasts...

Amazon $50 bucks for both, lasts all summer and makes water drinkable. Enjoy!
__________________

2013 PrimeTime Tracer 215AIR Touring Edition
2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 6.0l
Nights Camping: 2013 - 15; 2014 - 25; 2015 - 35
2016 - 5
Tracer215AIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 05:30 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
JohnF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiceTheIce View Post
The KW1 is five micron. It is designed for use with this pump. It is a 10,000 gallon or one year filter. Retail price is $30. You cannot get this much filtration for only $30 in any store. Get them from the Forest River Electonics Division at the Rally three for $25. The only way they leak is freezing.
Oh yes you can and for less money. No filter manufacturer can predict the life of a filter without knowing the water you're pushing through it. I've worked on water systems that would plug your 5 micron filter in less than a week.
__________________
Ohio
2016 Cedar Creek 36ckts
2015 Ford F-350
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:33 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
JohnF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer215AIR View Post
I installed a big blue 10" under the bed that only filters the city water intake. This way the storage water and the pump have no issues. Depending on the frequency of camping, these will last all year and make setup/breakdown even easier when you don't have to disassemble the Walmart inline filters every time. FYI, every time you unplug the Camco activated carbon filters, their water drains out and the worst thing you can do once your carbon is wet, is to have it dry out until the next time you camp.
Here is a pic of last years filter: http://www.forestriverforums.com/Pho...php?photo=3838

This was a 5 micron. The better the first stage, the better your GAC/KDM55 will last. Since I have a small camper, I don't need high flow. So this year I'm going with the 1 micron. I will see how long it lasts...

Amazon $50 bucks for both, lasts all summer and makes water drinkable. Enjoy!
I believe some prefer the filters on the outside of their campers as there is less chance of water damage if the filter should leak. That is my case and I will take the time to install my outdoor inline filter every time I hook up.

I’ve never read or heard that letting carbon dry out is detrimental to it. I would be interested in more information on that.

I also believe many people are confused about micron size, carbon and safe drinking water. The filters many of us are using have both a mechanical filtration function (expressed in micron size) and the adsorption properties of the carbon material. If your concern is “safe” drinking water, don’t be so concerned about the micron size. The small pieces of debris that the mechanical filter removes are not likely to harm you as most are dissolved compounds of magnesium and calcium. In my opinion anything equal to or less than 30 micron is adequate.

Carbon is a terrible mechanical filter. It does its job by bonding contaminates to its surface (adsorption). They are generally called taste and odor filters as they remove chlorine and other chemicals giving you a better quality water.

Going to a 1 micron filter will not extend the life of your carbon but will reduce the life of your filter. IMO

John
__________________
Ohio
2016 Cedar Creek 36ckts
2015 Ford F-350
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:05 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
TandSH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
The filter is after the pump, it will not cause it to starve. The restricted flow would be no different the just opening the valve part way and letting the water flow. It could cause the pump to cycle more often.
+1. And if the filter was completely clogged would be the same as if all water taps were closed. Again, not an issue.
__________________
2017.5 Cedar Creek 34RL2
2016 F-250 Lariat CC SRW PSD 4x4
USMC Fighter Pilot (Ret)
TandSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:26 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
JohnF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ohio
Posts: 576
I agree. Filters being installed should be after the pump.
__________________

__________________
Ohio
2016 Cedar Creek 36ckts
2015 Ford F-350
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pump, water

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49 PM.