Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2016, 08:17 AM   #1

Water Filtration and Pump Concern

I am at the point of buying a new water filter. My current filter is KW1 which I read has a 30 micron filtration. Should I stay with a similar micron rating or get a better 5 or 10 micron rated filter. My main concern is flow rate and pressure and mostly the possible damage or strain on the water pump. Am I over thinking this filter decision?
Old 04-21-2016, 08:25 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tent2TT View Post
I am at the point of buying a new water filter. My current filter is KW1 which I read has a 30 micron filtration. Should I stay with a similar micron rating or get a better 5 or 10 micron rated filter. My main concern is flow rate and pressure and mostly the possible damage or strain on the water pump. Am I over thinking this filter decision?
Are you talking Filter change or Element? If Element what choice do you have from KW1? 30 is pretty coarse! Youroo!!
Old 04-21-2016, 09:17 AM   #3

Good catch. I am going to replace the filter housing so that I can buy a standard 10" filter from Amazon or local stores. I am gathering information as to which filter I should buy. i.e.- 5, 10, 20, or 30 micron filter.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:25 AM   #4

Many of us have taken the housing and put it outside. very easy since you are planning to replace the entire thing anyway.

I replaced mine with a Home Depot special, it will take 30 or 5 micron filters. I like the 5 better, but i probably only think that because i know the filter I used.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:26 AM   #5

You are over thinking possible pump damage. Type of filter has no influence on pump longevity.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 11:51 AM   #6
StlClay

I just took out the factory supplied cartridge and left the housing. I use inexpensive inline Camco filters and change them twice a year. Amazon or Wal- Mart have them all the time. Makes winterization a lot easier.

2014 MiniLite with
Nissan Frontier
Stlcaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:26 PM   #7

Smile Suggestion

I took forum advice this Spring and went with an outdoor filter. I removed the cannister completely by cutting the pvc on both sides and joining the water line with a shark bite connector. I will be using the in line Camco filterson the outside on my water hose. No more winterizing that cannister or buying the expensive filters for it.
JHurtgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
You are over thinking possible pump damage. Type of filter has no influence on pump longevity.
A smaller micron will plug faster than a larger micron as it will remove more debris. A plugged filter would starve the pump and could cause it to overheat.
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 03:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
A smaller micron will plug faster than a larger micron as it will remove more debris. A plugged filter would starve the pump and could cause it to overheat.
Yep. Even when not plugged, more effort is required to pull water through a better filter. Even if the difference is minimal, there is a difference.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:14 PM   #10

After reading the leaking problems due to the filter housing, I disconnected the filter housing and just bypassed my filter. I use those blue inline Camco filters from Walmart.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 08:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitNine View Post
Yep. Even when not plugged, more effort is required to pull water through a better filter. Even if the difference is minimal, there is a difference.
I have to weight in here,I have NOT seen a "Suction Filter" on any RV ! The Filter is located to "Filter water From city Water and on the Pressure side of the F/W pump" there is a Small screen on the suction side of some Pumps but it is Not a Filter! Youroo!!
Old 04-21-2016, 08:59 PM   #12

Push or pull, it's moot. More restrictive filters will result in more work for the pump.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:00 PM   #13
Global Nomad

Water Filter

I use those blue inline Camco filters from Walmart. However, when I am filling my fresh water tank, I add a 5 micron filter, since I don't care how long it takes to fill.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:09 PM   #14

The KW1 is five micron. It is designed for use with this pump. It is a 10,000 gallon or one year filter. Retail price is $30. You cannot get this much filtration for only $30 in any store. Get them from the Forest River Electonics Division at the Rally three for $25. The only way they leak is freezing.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:11 PM   #15

Quote:
The filter is after the pump, it will not cause it to starve. The restricted flow would be no different the just opening the valve part way and letting the water flow. It could cause the pump to cycle more often.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:39 PM   #16
Camper

Big Blue 10"

I installed a big blue 10" under the bed that only filters the city water intake. This way the storage water and the pump have no issues. Depending on the frequency of camping, these will last all year and make setup/breakdown even easier when you don't have to disassemble the Walmart inline filters every time. FYI, every time you unplug the Camco activated carbon filters, their water drains out and the worst thing you can do once your carbon is wet, is to have it dry out until the next time you camp.
Here is a pic of last years filter: http://www.forestriverforums.com/Pho...php?photo=3838

This was a 5 micron. The better the first stage, the better your GAC/KDM55 will last. Since I have a small camper, I don't need high flow. So this year I'm going with the 1 micron. I will see how long it lasts...

Amazon $50 bucks for both, lasts all summer and makes water drinkable. Enjoy!

2013 PrimeTime Tracer 215AIR Touring Edition
2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 6.0l
Nights Camping: 2013 - 15; 2014 - 25; 2015 - 35
2016 - 5
Tracer215AIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwiceTheIce View Post
The KW1 is five micron. It is designed for use with this pump. It is a 10,000 gallon or one year filter. Retail price is $30. You cannot get this much filtration for only $30 in any store. Get them from the Forest River Electonics Division at the Rally three for $25. The only way they leak is freezing.
Oh yes you can and for less money. No filter manufacturer can predict the life of a filter without knowing the water you're pushing through it. I've worked on water systems that would plug your 5 micron filter in less than a week.
4WD SRW Diesel
Old 04-22-2016, 05:33 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer215AIR View Post
I installed a big blue 10" under the bed that only filters the city water intake. This way the storage water and the pump have no issues. Depending on the frequency of camping, these will last all year and make setup/breakdown even easier when you don't have to disassemble the Walmart inline filters every time. FYI, every time you unplug the Camco activated carbon filters, their water drains out and the worst thing you can do once your carbon is wet, is to have it dry out until the next time you camp.
Here is a pic of last years filter: http://www.forestriverforums.com/Pho...php?photo=3838

This was a 5 micron. The better the first stage, the better your GAC/KDM55 will last. Since I have a small camper, I don't need high flow. So this year I'm going with the 1 micron. I will see how long it lasts...

Amazon $50 bucks for both, lasts all summer and makes water drinkable. Enjoy!
I believe some prefer the filters on the outside of their campers as there is less chance of water damage if the filter should leak. That is my case and I will take the time to install my outdoor inline filter every time I hook up.

I’ve never read or heard that letting carbon dry out is detrimental to it. I would be interested in more information on that.

I also believe many people are confused about micron size, carbon and safe drinking water. The filters many of us are using have both a mechanical filtration function (expressed in micron size) and the adsorption properties of the carbon material. If your concern is “safe” drinking water, don’t be so concerned about the micron size. The small pieces of debris that the mechanical filter removes are not likely to harm you as most are dissolved compounds of magnesium and calcium. In my opinion anything equal to or less than 30 micron is adequate.

Carbon is a terrible mechanical filter. It does its job by bonding contaminates to its surface (adsorption). They are generally called taste and odor filters as they remove chlorine and other chemicals giving you a better quality water.

Going to a 1 micron filter will not extend the life of your carbon but will reduce the life of your filter. IMO

John
4WD SRW Diesel
Old 04-22-2016, 08:05 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
The filter is after the pump, it will not cause it to starve. The restricted flow would be no different the just opening the valve part way and letting the water flow. It could cause the pump to cycle more often.
+1. And if the filter was completely clogged would be the same as if all water taps were closed. Again, not an issue.
TandSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:26 AM   #20

I agree. Filters being installed should be after the pump.
4WD SRW Diesel

Tags
pump, water