Old 10-11-2017, 05:11 PM   #1

Water heater

I just changed out the element to my hot water heater. When it came out he tank drained out as welll why is there water coming into the coach from the hot water tank that holds the water?

mark1615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:17 PM   #2

Kind of confusing. The element is in the tank. What did you expect?

bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:22 PM   #3

Iím with bubbles...many variables to consider. Must units are half-way sealed from the outside on the WH. Is it fairly level? Did you try to drain the tank? Is your water pump on or city water connected?

I would dry as best you can. Replace element and leak check. Purge air from lines and test WH.
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:22 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1615 View Post
I just changed out the element to my hot water heater. When it came out he tank drained out as welll why is there water coming into the coach from the hot water tank that holds the water?
Mark, are you stating that the water that drained out of the tank is coming into the coach...or that water is now coming into the coach after you replaced the element?

The more precise you are, and the more details you offer, will make assistance easier to offer once it's ascertained EXACTLY what is happening.

Also, do you know what brand water heater you have, as the electric element is in different places with a Suburban vs an Atwood.

Just imagine, for a moment, if there were no hypothetical situations.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:42 AM   #5

Ok Iím sorry I wasnít more specific I have a 2017 Forest River Wildwood. I just changed out my element. When I pulled it out water came out the tank of course but water all was in the coach coming from the holding tank. Just wondering if that is normal to happen. When replacing the element
mark1615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:58 AM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1615 View Post
Ok I’m sorry I wasn’t more specific I have a 2017 Forest River Wildwood. I just changed out my element. When I pulled it out water came out the tank of course
If you did not close the supply valves and drain the water tank via the drain plug/anode before removing the element, then yes, water would come out when you removed the element. It is after all, submerged in water for it to work.

Quote:
but water all was in the coach coming from the holding tank. Just wondering if that is normal to happen. When replacing the element
Water was coming in the coach from what holding tank?
Grey? Black? Fresh water?

You still haven't answered the question as to what brand/model water heater you have?
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=36
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:02 PM   #7
Site Team

I'm going to venture to say you had a Suburban water heater like pictured below with the element removed. Yes, water can get in behind the shield when you do it like you did.

You should have drained it first via the anode rod, which also works as the drain on the Suburban water heaters. This is that 1 and 1/16th bolt head you see to the lower right of the electric element. The water heater is designed to be drained thru this port, so no water can get in behind the shield and into the coach as you just found out will happen if you don't. The electric elements threads are recessed behind the shield/casing so water will definitely go into your coach if you don't drain it first via the anode rod port, which is sealed and projects to the outside of the shield/casing.

KyDan explains that very scenario in his electric element replacement guide here:

Suburban water heater electric element R&R

The first video at this link will help explain this draining via the anode rod:

Suburban Water Heater Video Guides

Just imagine, for a moment, if there were no hypothetical situations.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water, water heater