Old 11-10-2014, 06:05 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
that is great Herk but it did not show taking it out. So you are saying that every person on this forum is wrapping it backwards? Look at the pic's on the fourm they are all the same it is bunched at the end only pic's don't lie and I know that members know how to put the tape on. Sorry that did not prove anything to me. By the way Herk I do not like your implacations that I'm telling someone wrong as I stated" TO EACH HIS OWN"... PS: I have never had a leak and my threads still look great.
Glenn, from what I see on mine during removal, the teflon tape is not really bunched up, but is what is left on the threads that actually don't make contact with the water heater threads. I wrap the whole anode thread, then screw it in until snug tight. As in all pipes/threads, the tape remains and seals up the very minute space/gaps between the threads of the two mating surfaces....while the excess get's either compressed, cut, or pushed back from the threads. If you just make one pass around the anode threads, that is all that is needed most times.

I'm still not really understanding why you are so adamant about this. It's nothing to get bothered over. I do understand CYA instructions, but with something so simple as a pipe thread, I just wouldn't dare go out on a limb to say this would be one of those.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:06 PM   #22
Site Team - Lou

Sorry, but my "hackles" raise when someone pulls out the "I am an expert" card as justification for an opinion.

Just seems self serving and has no bearing on presenting a logical argument. An "expert" would never recommend violating manufacturer's instructions and use "because I said so" as an argument.

I can say that because I freely admit I am no expert.

Claiming "expertness" is what puts you on that high horse and makes you an easy target for snipers!

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:14 PM   #23

Okay you guy are correct, just leave it at that, I said to each it own and also said that paste is better then tape. But don't tell me I'm wrong because I said either nothing or paste. Also the Suburban also recommended paste, but I do not want that in my water myself. Thanks for both of your input. I just know what the difference is to stop corrosion that's all. Have to have metal to metal.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:23 PM   #24

If you do wrap the tape the wrong way it will bunch up, when it is put on right there isn't much left to it because the threads rip it up when you back it out because its doing the same as when you put it on wrong.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:28 PM   #25
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0224 View Post
If you do wrap the tape the wrong way it will bunch up, when it is put on right there isn't much left to it because the threads rip it up when you back it out because its doing the same as when you put it on wrong.
You are correct. Pipe threads are by no means precision cut and have numerous high and low spots on the tread surfaces which is what the tape or compound is designed to fill in the gaps. Have never seen a plumber join pipe without either tape or joint compound.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:37 PM   #26

here is a post that makes sense from Vince in 2012, so i'm not the only one as stated..Seeing some anodes near perfect after 12-18 months = something is wrong! Its really called sacrificial anode and is designed to give it self up to surrounding metal.
Does anyone ever use a resistance meter (multimeter) to check center of anode nut to frame? The annode will not work if not grounded. Too much tape or dope could insulate the rod from the frame. ( I guess he is wrong to)
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:57 PM   #27
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
here is a post that makes sense from Vince in 2012, so i'm not the only one as stated..Seeing some anodes near perfect after 12-18 months = something is wrong! Its really called sacrificial anode and is designed to give it self up to surrounding metal.
Does anyone ever use a resistance meter (multimeter) to check center of anode nut to frame? The annode will not work if not grounded. Too much tape or dope could insulate the rod from the frame. ( I guess he is wrong to)
He is not saying not to use it, he is saying don't use too much.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:08 PM   #28
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0224 View Post
Exactly. Thank you.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:15 PM   #29

"too much" optimum words metal still touches tape and are meant to be used sparingly it is meant to act as oil would in an engine keeping thing from rusting in place so you don't ruin the tank threads when removing the anode. If you apply either correctly you will still be able to ck with a meter and get proper reading.
How to Change a Water Heater Anode Rod | Video | This Old House
Old 11-10-2014, 07:17 PM   #30

X? on the tape. Been using Teflon tape for years and it does not bunch when applied correctly. Pipe dope is also fine, tape is just cleaner.
Remember why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream; everyone is different.

Tags
anode, heater, water, water heater