Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2014, 11:31 PM   #41

I was thinking of the (Electrolysis) side of the Decomposing A-Rod. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 12:24 AM   #42
Site Team

Folks,
The site team did some cleaning up in this thread. Let's keep this topic on track so that the OP and other members, especially with lesser experience, can find value in the feedback, even if we don't all agree.

Thanks!

PS
Some posts included in the clean up was due to other posts being deleted.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:43 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Evans View Post

Wish I had taken a pic of the anode, it was like almost gone even though we just bought the trailer in March 2014 and you can see in my signature that we haven't had that many nights camping.
I ended up asking my DH if he wouldn't mind fishing the anode out of the garbage for me so now I have a pic to share. It would seem I exaggerated a bit. I guess when I first saw the anode come out it just looked so much more corroded that I expected and I still think it is more so than it would have been if we hadn't left it on for over the last month, but it's not almost gone This is why pics are so important

In any event the comment made by youroo brings up a question for me, do you think the anode would have looked like the pic below regardless of having left the water heater on for a month straight if you leave your water heater full of water? Or did leaving it on for a month straight contribute to the corrosion?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20141111_064617.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	375.2 KB
ID:	66225
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:12 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I was thinking of the (Electrolysis) side of the Decomposing A-Rod. Youroo!!
I was referring to (POST# 37) where she stated that they used all their Propane in 90 deg. weather over a period of time using the W/H! This leads me to believe that they were ONLY USING Propane! If they were using (BOTH E& Pro) the elec.side should have done ALL the Heating just (Sitting there)! This is ALL releveant to the O/P which is the A-Rod! My other Post was Removed was Also Relevant to the A-Rod! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:16 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I was referring to (POST# 37) where she stated that they used all their Propane in 90 deg. weather over a period of time using the W/H! This leads me to believe that they were ONLY USING Propane! If they were using (BOTH E& Pro) the elec.side should have done ALL the Heating just (Sitting there)! This is ALL releveant to the O/P which is the A-Rod! My other Post was Removed was Also Relevant to the A-Rod! Youroo!!
Oh, ok That was us that did that, our trailer is set-up so that the water heater is only propane, no electric option. I'm still curious if having it 'on' makes the anode corrode faster, it appears that way from my experience but maybe the rod was already corroding before we even bought the trailer, don't really know.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #46
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I ended up asking my DH if he wouldn't mind fishing the anode out of the garbage for me so now I have a pic to share. It would seem I exaggerated a bit. I guess when I first saw the anode come out it just looked so much more corroded that I expected and I still think it is more so than it would have been if we hadn't left it on for over the last month, but it's not almost gone This is why pics are so important

In any event the comment made by youroo brings up a question for me, do you think the anode would have looked like the pic below regardless of having left the water heater on for a month straight if you leave your water heater full of water? Or did leaving it on for a month straight contribute to the corrosion?
The anode might not have been eroded quite as bad without the heat because heat is a catalyst to the process, but it would have still been eroding as long as water is present.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:33 AM   #47

Understanding Your Anode Rod | PlumbingSupply.com Blog

this paragraph is from that article I posted that for those that wanted to read the whole thing.
"Anode rods have a life expectancy of about five years but again, it really depends mostly on the quality of your water and how much water travels through your water heater, as well as the qualities of your water. When sodium is added to the water (such as when a water softener is used), anode rods can corrode more quickly. Water softeners can help reduce sediment, but anodes can corrode in as little as six months if the water is over-softened, so try to leave a little bit of hardness in your water, for the sake of the water heater, and definitely make sure to check your anode rod a bit more often if you have a water softener."
Unless you are full timing your anode is more than likely safe for quite a while . more than likely you will replace as I did because the threads are worn from rust because the previous owner didn't put tape on it.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:50 AM   #48

My DH and I have decided to drain and rinse our WH after every trip to try and keep the smelly bacteria away and extend the life of the a-rod. However, this will absolutely require that we never forget to turn off the system when we break camp! I figure by draining it after every trip, we'll at least notice if the water is hot and that will be a good reminder to turn it off, LOL! Just joking! I have a check-off list now Along with this we will periodically sanitize the whole water system at least every year, but more often if needed.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:10 AM   #49
Site Team

Quote:
Or did leaving it on for a month straight contribute to the corrosion?
There are other factors besides just time. Usually the mineral content of the water is one of the largest contributing factors. Here is a link from the Rheem water heater site that helps explain the anode rod along with the rotten egg smell that many people encounter:

http://www.rheem.com/docs/FetchDocum...3-b0ed9abe41cd

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:23 PM   #50
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhochst View Post
The camper is brand new this last September. Probably need to replace. We have bad hard water here.

This is my original anode from July 2012 when the camper was new. We regularly sanitize the system but rarely leave the water water empty (we camp pretty frequently).

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415733749.838412.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	326.5 KB
ID:	66236

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415733763.518075.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	328.2 KB
ID:	66237

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415733786.918620.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	321.1 KB
ID:	66238

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415733811.051905.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	346.0 KB
ID:	66239
Old 11-16-2014, 09:26 PM   #51

Easy way to clean the anode rod is to let it soak in a glass or jar of white vinegar for a hour or so. This does an excellent job of cleaning it.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anode, heater, water, water heater