Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2017, 09:05 PM   #1

Water Heater Blowout

Our 14' Grey Wolf has had a consistent problem with the water heater. Several times a weekend I find that we have no hot water. I go out and the pilot light is out, relight the darn thing and it usually lights fine. I found this week end that when I light the pilot and turn the knob, I hear the valve click, I can hear the gas, and wooof! The flame shoots out of the fire chamber and snuffs out the flame including the pilot light. Any ideas???
porterwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:22 PM   #2

Pilot Light System not Electronic?
Check the ignitor gap, check burner tube has no spider/webs in tube. If you have the proper tool; a manometer check gas psi ( inches of wc) is correct. All connections are tight.
mfMcFroggierPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterwolf View Post
Our 14' Grey Wolf has had a consistent problem with the water heater. Several times a weekend I find that we have no hot water. I go out and the pilot light is out, relight the darn thing and it usually lights fine. I found this week end that when I light the pilot and turn the knob, I hear the valve click, I can hear the gas, and wooof! The flame shoots out of the fire chamber and snuffs out the flame including the pilot light. Any ideas???

As for you water heater going off several times. there is some type of obstruction that is disrupting the fuel/air mixture. check all piping areas.

When you light the pilot light, leave the knob (with you holding it) in the same location ('pilot lighting location) for a few more seconds. That allows the end to heat up and then the pilot will stay on when you 'slowly' turn the knob to the on position. your pilot light should then stay on fine.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:38 PM   #4

I am no expert.... I would first assume dirty unless someone has been working on it and moved the pilot assym away from the path of the LPG... then maybe.

Cheap check is to inspect and blow it all out. Dirt daubers, spiders and bugs are your enemy.
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:57 PM   #5

Possible thermocouple fault. Check position of tip.
mfMcFroggierPod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water, water heater