Old 12-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
Water heater bypass in Micro-Lite 18FBR and a winterizing question...

Hi All,
Getting a late start on winterizing for my first time in this rig. My old(er) Jayco had 3 valves to bypass the water heater. I only see 2 on my Micro-Lite 18FBR. My assumption is that I just reverse their positions, but I'm not sure. I can't figure out the flow of the water in this unit. So if someone could confirm my "assumption" that'd be much appreciated.

On another note, I only find one set of low point drains. is this right? The valves are located under the bathroom sink, awkwardly I might add. I can't reach them without removing the bathroom cabinet door. But that's my fault for getting to 350 lbs!

it's gonna rain today, so I plan on blowing out the lines tomorrow and pouring some pink down into the traps.

When I blow the lines, should the low point drains be opened or closed?

Only 2 valves I see on water heater bypass (one black, one white)...

Nope, no valve hidden back there...

Low point drains...

2008 Forest River Micro-Lite 18FBR
2000 Ford Explorer Sports Trac
WBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
I would leave the low points open.
You should also remove the water filter and fill the canister with washed marbles or something.

2016 F350 6.7L LB CC Reese 28K 2014 Chaparral Lite 266sab
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." 2014 19 days camping 2015 17 days camping201620 days camping
Ford Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
I believe the answer is yes, reverse the valve positions. That will prevent entry into the water heater from the cold (blue) side and allow flow through the hot (red) side. I think the water heater hot side is a check valve hook up to prevent backflow into the water heater for winterization and therefore the 3rd valve is not needed. But if you are only going to blow out the lines and not add pink stuff it probably doesn't matter if the valves are repositioned. I typically close the low point draines when blowing out my lines and open them after all residual water has been purged from each of the faucet lines and commode. This is just my way of doing it.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #4
My suggestion, with low point drains closed, apply air to city connection, after you have opened up on outlet. With pressure at 25-35psi continuous, open each faucet, leaving one open to minimize any pressure build up, if your unregulated. Most compressors push 100-125 psi peak. Then with anode in HW tank removed open and close your white then black shut offs to purge lines. Flush your toilet bowl to purge water trapped in the rim orifaces. Remember to purge your black tank flush connection, to evacuate and residual water caught in the check valve assy. Finally open low point drains with air pressure in to evacuate any remaining water.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
Thank you All for the help!

2008 Forest River Micro-Lite 18FBR
2000 Ford Explorer Sports Trac
WBrian is offline   Reply With Quote

bypass, heater, water, water heater, winter, winterize