Originally Posted by KyDan
My WH is plugged into a "hidden" outlet right above it.
Accessed thru my pass thru storage door on the WH side.
The outlet is hot from the breaker.
The WH has a power cord that is plugged into the outlet and
the power cord goes to a junction box mounted on the side of the WH
also near the outlet.
There is no voltage at the element so either the switch or the thermostat or a
connection in between must be open.
I need to know how to access the thermostat
or where it's located. It must be mounted against the tank under the
This is the simplest way I can think to test for continuity with your set up.
1. Unplug your water heater from the wall outlet.
2. Make sure the On/Off switch is in the On position.
3. Take a continuity tester and touch the leads to each prong on the water heater cord. Most likely it will be open. If it's closed then I suggest taking it to a professional. If open, proceed on.
4. Take a piece of bare copper wire and wrap it around the two cord prongs.
5. Go to the ON/Off switch. Touch your leads to the two wires attached to the switch, it should be ON. If open, replace the switch. If closed proceed on.
6. Gain access to the T-stat. Touch the leads to the terminals where the wires are attached. If open, replace the T-stat assembly. If closed proceed on.
7. Find the Electric Heating Element. Touch the leads to the two wire connections. If open, replace the Element. If closed and every connection is closed then I suggest taking it to a professional.You may have had a critter chew through a wire somewhere.
We're gonna get this thing figured out!!!!!