Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2009, 10:58 AM   #1
SandPiper 345 QB

Water Heater element

I started the electric water heater without water in it and fried the heater element. Has anyone replaced this yet and if so where is it. I'm hoping it is as simple as doing the one in the house any help would be great.
IIFID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:25 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

The electric element is accessible from the outside. Here's a link to the service manual. I've heard you can get a replacement element at HD it's 1500 watts but must be 120 volts.

http://www.dutchmen-rv.com/scripts/p...get.php?id=148

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:46 PM   #3

You will need to by a special socket to take it off. Standard sockets are to fat and will not fit in the slot to take it out. I had the same thing happen to me. It was very easy to do once I had the right socket. The hardest part was going to the dealership to buy the element and the socket.
kmwahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:53 AM   #4
Site Team

What brand water heater do you have?

If it's a Suburban, a pair of channellock pliers will take the heating element out. Granted, the "special" wrench makes it easier but pliers will work. At least they did on ours.

The big box stores carry a 1500 watt, 120V, 8" long screw in element that works fine. They also carry the "special" wrench for about $6.50 too.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:50 PM   #5

I replaced my element this spring. I purchased the element and wrench from a big box store like in Bama Rambler's post. Removal of the burner assembly tube to get the wrench in was the hardest part. My guess was 20 minutes max from the time I opened the door until I closed it.
jamesp is offline   Reply With Quote