Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Independence,LA
Posts: 182
Water heater issue

Having an issue with my water heater in my '12 CC 36RE. We average about 4-) weeks between camping trips. When we get set up I always let my outside shower run(both hot and cold) to get the air out of the lines. I always have hot water. I mean hot as if the water heater is on. Both switches are "always" turned off as DW does that part. Could my switches be reversed or upside down? Kinda concerned as I don't want the water heater to burn out if it is actually being left on. However it does work while we are camping with it in the on position. Could the tank be that we'll insulated that the water remains hot that long?? Should I turn water heater to off position and let outside shower run til it get cold then see what happens. Thanks I advance for any replies/suggestions. Steve A. Dagro
__________________

__________________
sdagro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 15,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdagro View Post
Having an issue with my water heater in my '12 CC 36RE. We average about 4-) weeks between camping trips. When we get set up I always let my outside shower run(both hot and cold) to get the air out of the lines. I always have hot water. I mean hot as if the water heater is on. Both switches are "always" turned off as DW does that part. Could my switches be reversed or upside down? Kinda concerned as I don't want the water heater to burn out if it is actually being left on. However it does work while we are camping with it in the on position. Could the tank be that we'll insulated that the water remains hot that long?? Should I turn water heater to off position and let outside shower run til it get cold then see what happens. Thanks I advance for any replies/suggestions. Steve A. Dagro
Yes, a switch could be reversed/bad.

First off, we need some more details as to what brand/system you have in your RV. If it is a Suburban brand, does it have an electric heating element switch located on the front of the water heater?

When in use, do you heat your water by propane, or the electric heating element...or both.

If you do have a propane/electric water heater made by Suburban, this link may help to make sure you are using the switches correctly:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-36197.html
__________________

__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Independence,LA
Posts: 182
It is a Suburban. Gas/electric. Only time we use gas is when it is cold and need to not run out of hot water. Leave switch on outside and control heater from 2 inside switches I my lighting panel
__________________
sdagro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: X
Posts: 2,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdagro View Post
It is a Suburban. Gas/electric. Only time we use gas is when it is cold and need to not run out of hot water. Leave switch on outside and control heater from 2 inside switches I my lighting panel
I have never heard of a switch inside for the electric element in a Suburban. Could you post a picture of those? I really think you need to be turning it off outside (as your evidence would suggest).
__________________
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdagro View Post
It is a Suburban. Gas/electric. Only time we use gas is when it is cold and need to not run out of hot water. Leave switch on outside and control heater from 2 inside switches I my lighting panel
I'd pull the interior electric switch and check for power with switch in both on and off position and see if there's power present both ways on both sides of the switch.


Turbs
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
I have never heard of a switch inside for the electric element in a Suburban. Could you post a picture of those? I really think you need to be turning it off outside (as your evidence would suggest).
I have the same.

I turn electric portion on and off inside
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130905_091532.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	39302  
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
 
Triguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southeast Wisconsin
Posts: 6,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdagro View Post
... I always have hot water. I mean hot as if the water heater is on. Both switches are "always" turned off as DW does that part.
Steve,
Can you clarify something? Your first post said the water is always hot but both switches are turned off? Do you mean inside switches are off, because your second post indicates the issue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdagro View Post
It is a Suburban. Gas/electric. Only time we use gas is when it is cold and need to not run out of hot water. Leave switch on outside and control heater from 2 inside switches I my lighting panel
Here you tell us that the electric switch control (outside within the water heater) is on.

Maybe you have a faulty "electric" switch inside the trailer?
__________________
Scott
DW, 3 Kids and our Goldens

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: X
Posts: 2,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post

I have the same.
Well now I have heard of it! Thanks Turbs! Do you also leave the outside switch on? (IE, the two switches are in series instead of in parallel?)
__________________
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
Well now I have heard of it! Thanks Turbs! Do you also leave the outside switch on? (IE, the two switches are in series instead of in parallel?)
I never touch the switch outside, it is always in the "on" position.

Only use inside switch for on / off
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #10
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 15,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I'd pull the interior electric switch and check for power with switch in both on and off position and see if there's power present both ways on both sides of the switch.


Turbs
X2 on Ron's advice.

A lot of people will add an inside electric heating element switch for the Suburban water heaters, since most do not come equipped that way. There are several forum threads explaining this. Many of these people basically wire the inside switch so it controls the 120 volt outlet the water heater is plugged into. They leave the outside switch turned on, and just control the outlet plug with the inside switch. There are also other ways to do it too.

I would check the inside switch for the electric heating element and make sure it is even connected to anything. It's possible they used a control panel with an inside switch but didn't even wire it for an inside switch.

This switch, could also be bad (or wired wrong)...thus never turning the electric heating element off.
__________________

__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
heater, water, water heater

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52 AM.