Old 11-27-2016, 06:27 PM   #1

Water Heater Noise

Used my 5th Wheel (2014 Silverback 29IK) recently, and for the 1st time in almost 2 years I noticed a noise coming from my Suburban water heater. Sounded like water was running, but nobody was using water. I discovered that it only made noise when it was heating water, and cuts off when water is hot enough. It heats very well on both electric and gas. Just can't figure out what this noise is.

tkd01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 06:38 PM   #2

Although the heating element (gas or electric) is turned off when the BULK water temperature reaches 140 degrees, the gas or electric actually causes the water in contact with the heating part to boil. The steam bubbles move away from the heating section and then "collapse" as they give up some heat to the surrounding water. The collapse of the bubbles is what you hear.

I would find it hard to imagine you can hear this noise inside the TT (unless you're REALLY being quiet) as 5 sides of the heater are insulated with foam, which also provides sound insulation. I'm assuming you're only hearing this outside.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 06:51 PM   #3

[QUOTE=rockfordroo;1371160 I would find it hard to imagine you can hear this noise inside the TT (unless you're REALLY being quiet) as 5 sides of the heater are insulated with foam, which also provides sound insulation. I'm assuming you're only hearing this outside.

Thanks for the quick reply. I thought I might be having an issue with something. I only heard this sound when I was outside being right next to it when putting something in my front compartment. Probably why I never really heard it before I guess. Just sounded like water was running through it. It is faint and you really do have to put your ear up to it. Thanks again.
tkd01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:12 PM   #4
World Wide Wanderer

I heard my electric one for the first time today. I always hear the gas burner fire up.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, noise, water, water heater