Old 02-03-2019, 04:04 PM   #1

Water heater plug and flush tank

I remove my water heater drain plug for the first time on my recently purchased 2000 Georgetown motor home. I found the drain plug to have a rod attached to it which I believe was a Anode Rod. I unplugged the drain port, and now I am curious whats the best way to flush out tank to get all the white crud out of it. Also best way to flush the water lines to facet and shower.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water heater drain plug.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	267.1 KB
ID:	196106  

Old 02-03-2019, 04:11 PM   #2
Site Team

That anode rod is totally used up. You can use the item in link below to flush out the WH. If you believe there may be a lot of crud in the water lines, once the WH is clean, open the low point drains one at a time and flush. You can also make an adapter for the low point drains and back flush through the WH, before you clean it. When you replace the anode rod, be sure to add one or two wraps of teflon tape on the threads. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Rinser-...r+heater+flush

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXMike View Post
I remove my water heater drain plug for the first time on my recently purchased 2000 Georgetown motor home. I found the drain plug to have a rod attached to it which I believe was a Anode Rod. I unplugged the drain port, and now I am curious whats the best way to flush out tank to get all the white crud out of it. Also best way to flush the water lines to facet and shower.
Yep you definitely need a new anode rod. As for draining and cleaning. Go to Walmart, Lowes, hardware store and buy a fireman nozzel for you garden hose. Your probably gonna get wet doing this. Put you water lines in winterize to avoid getting the crud into the lines. Run the hose with the fire nozzle thru the rod hole. Fill the tank, let it drain. Repeat this until the water runs free. The pressure from the fire nozzle will stir up the sediment in the bottom and drain out. Put you bay pass back in service.

Next fill you your tank and go around and remove your faucet aerators. Run water till clean. Put your Cleaned aerators back on.

Lastly, find your low point drains and remove the caps or open the valves and drain them for a few min. That should do it.

There is no etched in stone version of how to do it. This is what I do. You gonna get a lot of "this is how I do it's"

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:41 PM   #4

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXMike View Post
So I just purchased on Amazon a water hose attachment tank flushing tool, and a new Anode Rod for unit. I will flush tank and as suggested remove aerators at facets and remove shower head to flush lines. I dont know where the low point drain(s) are located on a 2000 Georgetown 325S and if anyone can point me where to look that would be great. Thank you all for such great ideas on this project. Mike
Old 02-03-2019, 04:43 PM   #5

Mike --

The anode is there to protect your tank and is an annual inspection item. Hopefully the tank will survive. Just like the anode in your water heater at home -- which I bet you've not inspected either. The short anode rods as in our campers are in stock at every RV dealer in North America. They're what is called high demand parts.

The anode in the house we purchased 18 months ago looked just like yours (other than being 4 feet long). Just the wire. Plumbing supply house had one. The anode on some residential water heaters is part of the plumbing, not separate like the camper.

-- Chuck
Chuck_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:28 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
That anode rod is totally used up. You can use the item in link below to flush out the WH. If you believe there may be a lot of crud in the water lines, once the WH is clean, open the low point drains one at a time and flush. You can also make an adapter for the low point drains and back flush through the WH, before you clean it. When you replace the anode rod, be sure to add one or two wraps of teflon tape on the threads. https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Rinser-...r+heater+flush
I'll second this attachment. It works really well and it's nice to be able to have the water spray inside the tank itself.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:37 AM   #7
Site Team

If the inside of the WH is really dirty, you can use a 6-8" piece of PVC and a threaded fitting screwed into the drain hole then feed the spray wand thru the PVC, This will keep the crud from running down the side of the RV.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:57 AM   #8

I'm wondering if that rod has ever been changed.

Here's kinda-sorta how they get eaten up:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Anode consumption.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	196141  

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:40 PM   #9

If you have a decent build-up of lime scale, it is worth treating the tank to get rid of it. The scale also builds up on the electric heating element and will slow down the rate that water heats up.
Clean with a 50% solution of vinegar /water. This video gives a walk thru of the process. Optionally, you can leave the vinegar solution unheated over night with the same results.

How To Flush An Atwood RV Water Heater - TheRVgeeks

Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2018 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flush, heater, tank, water, water heater