Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #1

Water Heater Problem

I've got a 2012 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH. My heater is gas or electric. I used the electric for about 6 months straight. Using it about every day. I think one of the elements is burned out since it won't heat anymore on electric. Already checked breaker and it is fine. The electric heater will barely get it warm and then trip on the reset switch on the tank. I bought the camper new last July. I'm torn on taking it 80 miles and dropping it off at the dealer or fixing it myself? The elements I've seen online are far cheaper than the diesel required to take it to my dealer.

Another question is when I run it on gas it gets very hot and the pressure relief valve lets water out. It doesn't fully open the valve, but it loses a couple cups of water. Is this normal on gas? Is there a way to turn my gas down so it won't overheat it?

The gas is a lot hotter of water than when it ran on electric, which is good, if if wouldn't overheat. I prefer to run electric though since it is cheaper and more convenient.

Any tips or suggestions from you pros?
2001 F-350 Powerstroke
1995 F-350 7.5L 460
Numerous Ford and New Holland Tractors up to 135hp. Bobcat 773.
cre10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You can get an element at Lowe's or Home Depot, and the socket you will need to change it. Remove all water pressure, whether city water or pump. Remove your electric AC power, (battery can stay connected). Turn the gas off to the heater. Also let the heater cool down. Outside, open the heater door, and near the bottom left you will see a black plastic cover, behind the burner tube. That is where the element is. You will need to remove the burner tube, and then the screw holding the cover on. Then remove the 2 wires that are screwed to the element. Doesn't matter which is which for reinstall, so don't worry about colors or location. Take your tool, and unscrew the element. Be careful, as water will come out when it is removed. I hope you let the water get cold. Make sure the new element, (1500 watt), has a good "O" ring on it, and screw it back in. As you can tell from the special socket, not a lot of torque is required, the socket won't take it. Reconnect the 2 electric wires, then the cover, ten the burners tube. Turn the water back on, and refill the tank. First, open the "pop off" valve, and when you get water there, go inside and open the hot water for the kitchen, then do the same in the bath. Now turn your electric AC back on, and switch your heater to electric. Now wait a few hours, have a beer or two, and see if it works. I know this sounds lengthy, but really, it's a 15 minute job. Good Luck.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #3

Confirm by feeling the wires to your HW breaker are tight. Mine wasn't and caused the breaker to start throwing after using the TT about a year and a half. Thought it was bad breaker but was loose wire. Lucky never a fire!

HC
TST 507RV TPMS
MaxBrake BC
HemiCab is offline   Reply With Quote