Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #1

Water Heater Problem

I just de-winterized my Rockwood (winterized by dealer) and I am trying to test all systems. Filled the tank with water and have water coming from both hot and cold faucets. When I turn on the water heater it fires up but then turns off and is not heating the water. I hit the Reset buttons and waited overnight to test again - same issue. The pressure valve also has not pressure after this. Help! This should not be so difficult. Not sure if there is something the dealer did when it was winterized that I am missing.
kdavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #2

Just a possibility. There is a bypass system that shunts water by the water heater. If in the 'bypass' position, you'd get water from the hot and cold faucets, but none would be flowing through the heater. The hard part is finding it. Its normally close to the bottom of the water where the water flows into the tank. In ours under a little cover under the mattress on the bed, but that's just ours. Good luck
Geri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #3

make that bottom of the water heater
Geri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
Denver, CO

Does the water heater stay on for awhile and then turn off, if so it is likely that the bypass valves are not turned correctly. Did you access the back of the water heater and turn the three valves?
Old 06-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdavies View Post
I just de-winterized my Rockwood (winterized by dealer) and I am trying to test all systems. Filled the tank with water and have water coming from both hot and cold faucets. When I turn on the water heater it fires up but then turns off and is not heating the water. I hit the Reset buttons and waited overnight to test again - same issue. The pressure valve also has not pressure after this. Help! This should not be so difficult. Not sure if there is something the dealer did when it was winterized that I am missing.
First rule of Water heaters-NEVER turn on electric element or gas burner until you prove heater is full and water comes from opened relief valve.
Sounds as though dealer correctly closed inlet and outlet of water heater supply lines for winterization. He should have then drained the heater for winter. Your gas heater may have been going out on high temp trip.

Locate heater outside then direct opposite on inside will be the plumbing on the back side. You only need to close the "bypass valve" and open the inlet/outlet valves. Apply water pressure again and wait till water gurgles from hand lifted relief valve, on outside of heater. Then you can add heat.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote