Old 04-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #1

Water Heater problem... I'm stumped?

Hi, we own a 2011 Rockwood HW296 tent camper. We bought it in 2010 and have been camping for 16 yrs, have previously owned a Fleetwood Prowler 31V 32' Quad Bunkhousefor 9 yrs. before getting this one. I am mechanically inclined and have been able to fix any problem that has croped up. I have talked to several dealers service depart., including where I purchased it with no help. What I have listed is all the common issues. The only irregularity is small alum. shavings. The water heater that is in my unit is a Surburban SW6D, gas only. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

We have had three issues with it. Two of them have been taken care of right off the bat. It has to do with the water heater valve. It's been a intermittent problem since we have had it. I just have to uncover it from winter storage next to my barn and park it in it's normal spot for use. It's a DSI unit. Yes water in the tank, switch is turned on, gas valve on at LP tank. gas at wh valve, spark OK, solenoids OK,but no flow from valve. Have had a small piece of alum come out from valve once before when gas lines were removed. sometimes only way to make it work is use rubber hammer and tap valve then the gas flow. I just have to remove vale and check to see if any more small alum. peices are blocking the openings. Hopefully I don't have to rpl. gas valve.

Silverado Crew Cab 6.0L V8 W/3:73
2011 Rockwood HW296 16" Box
Tent Camper
HW296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Does sound like a solenoid valve.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #3

Sounds as though the seat or sleeve in the gas valve is scoring and hanging up, thus the tap to open and shavings. If you can ID from markings buy it on the net, otherwise go to Suburban.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:49 PM   #4

Well today uncovered the PUP from it's winter parking spot in the back yard and moved it to it's normal parking spot. Took gas valve out and tested coils on valve and they tested out to be bad. Call a RV place down the street where I live and asked them if they have any coils in inventory in which they said all they have is a complete unit at a cost of around $160. Got some new ones from the local appliance distributor (1st Source Servall) which is 20 miles one way, that sells parts to all the service places around town, got home and realised that they are somewhat smaller then the original ones and one has three terminals. Not sure if they will work, but he good thing is that I can return them for full credit.

Now I think I have several options as I see it:
1. Try this one other RV parts place which is near where I got my new rig which is in the same general area where the other place is.
2. contact the RV place where I got my rig and see if they will help me even though the warranty period is expired and I don't have an extended as they are way to pricey.
3. Contact Forest River directly and see if they are of any help.
4. Same for Suburban
5. Same for the manufacturer of the gas valve.
6.Keep the valve that I have and do what I have been doing, buy a replacement locally as I don't want to get one from the internet because of various reasons.

Items 1 & 2 are 20 miles one way though.
Items 3 & 4 might be good choice as they may not of been aware of a defective product in the water heater.
Item 5 ???

As I'm writing this current post and I didn't mention in my previous post was that it struck me is that when we picked up this unit and when the cover was opened there was dust on the face of the water heater for a product that was just made even though the RV dealer had tested the water heater as there was still water from draining it. I just didn't mention it at the time.

For all the trouble with this valve I'm having and IMHO it all goes back to quality control on the part of the manufacturer of the valve.

Any other thoughts out there would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Silverado Crew Cab 6.0L V8 W/3:73
2011 Rockwood HW296 16" Box
Tent Camper
HW296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:14 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Entire gas valve 40 bucks...

suburban rv water heater in Parts & Accessories | eBay

Would have to be some serious reasons for not wanting to buy from the internet...
I can't imagine going back to shopping the "Old Way."

Oh, if that is not the right one for your heater:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...6028&_from=R40

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote