Old 07-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #11

Just a comment for Blaster 84. The control panel water heater switch is not illuminated to show that it is on. When you set the switch to on but it will illuminate momentarilly showing that ignition is in progress but will extinguish when all is normal and not illuminate again unless there is an ignition issue. The lighted switch will not be illuminated if the water heater is functioning normally. In otherwards, the switch light is not to indicate the position of the switch. If your holding tank is showing 1/3 full there may not be enough water actually in the tank if your unit is tilted to one side for the pump to prime itself.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:04 AM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
If your holding tank is showing 1/3 full there may not be enough water actually in the tank if your unit is tilted to one side for the pump to prime itself.
Another excellent point. See the photo below to see the effect of "levelness" on indications and available water.

In the photo, the tank does not indicate "Full"; yet it will take no more water.
The reverse can be true if the trailer is tiled the other way. It can indicate water, when in fact the tank's outlet is sucking air.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 019.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	36409   Click image for larger version

Name:	Horst Probe Install 020.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	36410  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:40 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Just a comment for Blaster 84. The control panel water heater switch is not illuminated to show that it is on. When you set the switch to on but it will illuminate momentarilly showing that ignition is in progress but will extinguish when all is normal and not illuminate again unless there is an ignition issue. The lighted switch will not be illuminated if the water heater is functioning normally. In otherwards, the switch light is not to indicate the position of the switch. If your holding tank is showing 1/3 full there may not be enough water actually in the tank if your unit is tilted to one side for the pump to prime itself.
I think there can be several type of control panel switches. I do have an illuminated rocker panel switch to show the water heater switch is on (it's a blue light).......that also has another DSI fault light (it's a red light) beside it, that comes on until the propane lights up.

I have another camper that doesn't have an illuminated rocker panel switch, but just a DSI fault light.

On the first one, that has an illuminated rocker panel switch, the switch does stay an illuminated blue the entire time the switch is turned on. It's possible the OP has an illuminated rocker panel switch like this.....with a separate DSI fault light beside it.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:05 PM   #14

All good points guys. When the problems appeared with the WH I was plugged into a private home just to run the refrigerator on electric. That's when I noticed the noise at the water heater. Tonight I am at a CG in KY and everything seems normal. Problem mysteriously solved.

Water pressure hooked up to the city is like it always has been. I did check the inlet screen and even tried removing the filter and their was no change in pressure. May e I am expecting too much from 40 PSI.

When trying to supply water with the water pump I was sitting on level ground. I put about 5 gallons of water in the tank before leaving FL. I will add more water tomorrow and see if that changes things. I may have a short pickup tube.
2015 - 91
2016 - 171
2017 - 107
Blaster 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:57 AM   #15

Right you are wmtire. I went balistic and meant to say that the WH control switch adjacent light should be off when functioning normally. Duh.

Tags
heater, water, water heater