Old 11-10-2018, 10:53 PM   #1

Water Heater Question

Hi all, I am new to this forum and hoping someone can help me with a question. I am currently living full time in an Avenger ATI 26BB while my home is being built. Unfortunately this below freezing weather has snuck up on me and I donít have my trailer skirt complete yet. The temps will be in the low 20s tonite. I need to make sure Iíve done everything possible to avoid any issues with freezing pipes etc. Iíve drained the lines using the low point drains and I emptied my gray water tank. I have a service to pump out the blackwater every 2 weeks so it doesnít have much in it at the moment. My fresh water tank is empty because Iíve been hooked up to the city water at my house. Iíve disconnected that hose, drained it and stored it. My question pertains to the water heater. I understand that draining the water heater is a separate step but I donít want to drain it as Iíll be reconnecting to city water tomorrow when the temps are above freezing. Does enough water remain in the tank after Iíve drained the lines (itís a 6 gallon Atwood) that it will not be damaged if I leave it on? Based on the small amount of water that came out of the hot water drain, I am assuming that there is still a significant amount of water left in the tank. I left it on last night after draining the lines and I could periodically hear it running. It was fine when I reconnected to city water this afternoon. However, I donít want to damage the heater if I am doing something incorrectly. If anyone has any advice for me, Iíd greatly appreciate it. I canít risk blowing up my water heater because I will be living in this trailer until the end of the year! Thank in advance!

Jengacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:03 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jengacat View Post
Hi all, I am new to this forum and hoping someone can help me with a question. I am currently living full time in an Avenger ATI 26BB while my home is being built. Unfortunately this below freezing weather has snuck up on me and I don’t have my trailer skirt complete yet. The temps will be in the low 20s tonite. I need to make sure I’ve done everything possible to avoid any issues with freezing pipes etc. I’ve drained the lines using the low point drains and I emptied my gray water tank. I have a service to pump out the blackwater every 2 weeks so it doesn’t have much in it at the moment. My fresh water tank is empty because I’ve been hooked up to the city water at my house. I’ve disconnected that hose, drained it and stored it. My question pertains to the water heater. I understand that draining the water heater is a separate step but I don’t want to drain it as I’ll be reconnecting to city water tomorrow when the temps are above freezing. Does enough water remain in the tank after I’ve drained the lines (it’s a 6 gallon Atwood) that it will not be damaged if I leave it on? Based on the small amount of water that came out of the hot water drain, I am assuming that there is still a significant amount of water left in the tank. I left it on last night after draining the lines and I could periodically hear it running. It was fine when I reconnected to city water this afternoon. However, I don’t want to damage the heater if I am doing something incorrectly. If anyone has any advice for me, I’d greatly appreciate it. I can’t risk blowing up my water heater because I will be living in this trailer until the end of the year! Thank in advance!
Did you bypass the WH before you drained? If not Fill the WH and by pass it and drain again. Turn it on. Hot water can't freeze.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Did you bypass the WH before you drained? If not Fill the WH and by pass it and drain again. Turn it on. Hot water can't freeze.
Thanks for your reply! I did not bypass the WH before draining. Iím disconnected for the night so Iím hoping itís going to be ok. I will reconnect and fill it tomorrow and follow what you suggested tomorrow night. Do you think I should turn the WH off for tonite or would it most likely freeze? Itís 27 right now and going down to 25 by morning.

Thanks
Old 11-11-2018, 12:54 AM   #4

Always bypass the water heater before draining low point drains. If you drain the low points you can suck sediment from the water heater into the pump and lines.
Drain the water heater separately using the wh drain or removing the anode rod.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Thanks for your reply! I did not bypass the WH before draining. Iím disconnected for the night so Iím hoping itís going to be ok. I will reconnect and fill it tomorrow and follow what you suggested tomorrow night. Do you think I should turn the WH off for tonite or would it most likely freeze? Itís 27 right now and going down to 25 by morning.

Thanks
If there is water in it turn it on!

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:08 AM   #6

Put the WH in Bypass,then drain lines and winterize unit! Draining the lines and WH is asking for Trouble in Many ways! If you isolate the WH with water in it turned on is OK,BUT you will NOT be able to use unless Water supply is ON! You are playing with a BIG $$$ issue by NOT having your unit "Ready for Freezing Weather"! Finish the Hopefully Insulation Job or Winterize every Day,Your Choice! Youroo!!
Old 11-11-2018, 08:17 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBiker View Post
Always bypass the water heater before draining low point drains. If you drain the low points you can suck sediment from the water heater into the pump and lines.
Drain the water heater separately using the wh drain or removing the anode rod.
Thanks so much! I located the bypass and drain plug this morning and as soon as temps are above freezing, I think Iíll drain the WH and refill once I connect back to city water. Looks like another cold one tonight so Iíll make sure the WH is full and turned on, then disconnect city water again, bypass WH, and drain from low point drains.

Thanks for the advice. Itís stressful living here while my house is being built and itís even more stressful not knowing how to handle various issues like this. Thanks again :-)
Old 11-11-2018, 08:20 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
If there is water in it turn it on!
Well, that is what I was trying to figure out with my original post lol. If there is water in it. How would I be able to tell? Anyway I left it on until about 3am and was so worried I then turned it off figuring that it would be hot enough not to freeze before the sun came up. I turned it back on this morning and all seems well.

I now know how to handle the really annoying ďitís going below freezing again toniteĒ scenario! Thanks for the help!
Old 11-11-2018, 08:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Put the WH in Bypass,then drain lines and winterize unit! Draining the lines and WH is asking for Trouble in Many ways! If you isolate the WH with water in it turned on is OK,BUT you will NOT be able to use unless Water supply is ON! You are playing with a BIG $$$ issue by NOT having your unit "Ready for Freezing Weather"! Finish the Hopefully Insulation Job or Winterize every Day,Your Choice! Youroo!!
Thanks Youroo but I am living in my TT full time while my house is being built so I canít winterize the unit. My plan is to get the skirt finished and then I can heat underneath the TT and refill fresh water tank from city water line during the day.

Thanks
Old 11-11-2018, 08:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Thanks Youroo but I am living in my TT full time while my house is being built so I canít winterize the unit. My plan is to get the skirt finished and then I can heat underneath the TT and refill fresh water tank from city water line during the day.

Thanks
I know and understand that you are living in your unit,But my point is that "Mr Freeze" does not care if you are living or have it stored",He treats all WATER the same! Simply draining a RV system is NOT a Winterizing Method in Freezeing Conditions! Youroo!!

Tags
heater, water, water heater