Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #1

Water heater/refrig not working

Hi all
New to the forum and new to RVing! I am really excited but have an interesting problem. I bought a sunseeker 3170DS and this is the first wkend out.
I cannot get my refrig to turn on-no lights whatsoever- and I notice that the water heater is not running.
Gas is on-am I missing a switch or need to check a circuit breaker somewhere?
The main circuit panel has no issues
Please help-I feel like such a noob
Chquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:37 PM   #2

Possibly a few things.....

Circut Breakers need to be on for A/C use
Gas needs to be full
Gas needs to be on and purged of air for propane use
Battery needs to be charged for use on either
Fridge needs to be plugged in to the outlet behind the pannel to work on A/C
W/H may have debris in the burner tube....
You also need to turn the W/H on on the pannel....If its a DSI model thats all you need to do.....make sure its full of water!!

It would be helpful to findout what mode you are trying to run both the WH and Fridge.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:50 PM   #3

I am currently running on electric. I have no power to the frig. Button for w/h on. No warm water(has been on for hours). I just can't think of any thing else that I haven't checked.
Trying not to let it ruin a beautiful wkend here in IA
Thank you for your thoughts
Old 05-04-2012, 10:57 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Do you have the gas bottles open. Make sure you open them slowly. Also the fridge will have an auto/gas mode. make sure it is on electric. Your water heater could be gas only, so you will need propane for that. Light a stove burner to verify gas is on and working. Turn off the water heater, wait a few minutes, and turn it on again.

Just re-read your post, "gas is on". Did you light a stove burner? DO this to purge the lines. May take a minute or so. Will also tell if you have gas. Since you didn't say what year camper, used, or new, it may not have any propane in the tanks.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:01 PM   #5

2011-first owner. Propane tank 3/4 full. Burner has been lit.
I'm getting the feeling that I need to get this serviced
Old 05-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #6

2011-first owner. Propane tank 3/4. Gas burner has been lit.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:05 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chquist View Post
I am currently running on electric. I have no power to the frig. Button for w/h on. No warm water(has been on for hours). I just can't think of any thing else that I haven't checked.

Where you at in Iowa??????!!!!!!!!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:13 PM   #8

White breast campground on lake red rock(by Knoxville)
Old 05-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Nice!
thought maybe if you were close by id come by and try to help ya!
Ur several hours from me!
darn it I was looking for something to do tomorrow!
Old 05-04-2012, 11:21 PM   #10

Ha-thanks anyways. I guess this is part of the joy of RV ownership
Old 05-04-2012, 11:35 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Yes !
I'm sure its something simple.
If you don't have a volt ohm meter its time to get one to keep in camper!
Old 05-05-2012, 12:04 AM   #12

Quote:

What brand of fridge do you have (Dometic or Norcold)? What brand W/H
(surburban or Atwood)? Are there any lights lit on the control panel above the fridge? Do you know if the W/H has been taken off of bypass mode (winterized mode)?
If you go outside and just crack open the W/H "blow off" valve, is the water hot (be carefull, it could be 180 degrees)? If so, then it sounds like the outlet valve on the W/H is still closed and it is probably still in bypass (winterized) mode. Also, (bad news) if the W/H was turned on without water in it, the the heating element is most likely burned out (this takes only seconds). But, you can still use the W/H on propane until you get the elemant replaced.
Now the fridge is another problem. If it's a Dometic and there are no lights on the control panel then it sounds like the thermo couple switch has been tripped. If that's the case, it WON'T run on propane either. On the outside of the TT behind the panel for the fridge, check the 110 volt outlet that the fridge is plugged into for power. If you look on the right side, there should be a piece of sheet metal shield protecting the "chimney" for the propane burner part of the fridge. If you take that shield off, there should be a small round disk looking switch riveted or screwed to the chimney. The switch is resettable by pushing the button in the center however, should be replaced since it has been weakened and will possibly trip easier in the future.
P.S. If this switch is tripped, it shuts down ALL power, 110 volt AC and 12 volt necessary to operate the propane igniter and gas valve.

Let us know what you discover and good luck.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:05 AM   #13

Go outside open the Water heater door. There may be a small switch in there... (there is on mine). For fridge check your fuses etc... Most RV era are friendly folk... Might ask around the camp ground for someone to help ya... I can always spot the guy who has been Rving for a while.

Good luck!
firedaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
What brand of fridge do you have (Dometic or Norcold)? What brand W/H
(surburban or Atwood)? Are there any lights lit on the control panel above the fridge? Do you know if the W/H has been taken off of bypass mode (winterized mode)?
If you go outside and just crack open the W/H "blow off" valve, is the water hot (be carefull, it could be 180 degrees)? If so, then it sounds like the outlet valve on the W/H is still closed and it is probably still in bypass (winterized) mode. Also, (bad news) if the W/H was turned on without water in it, the the heating element is most likely burned out (this takes only seconds). But, you can still use the W/H on propane until you get the elemant replaced.
Now the fridge is another problem. If it's a Dometic and there are no lights on the control panel then it sounds like the thermo couple switch has been tripped. If that's the case, it WON'T run on propane either. On the outside of the TT behind the panel for the fridge, check the 110 volt outlet that the fridge is plugged into for power. If you look on the right side, there should be a piece of sheet metal shield protecting the "chimney" for the propane burner part of the fridge. If you take that shield off, there should be a small round disk looking switch riveted or screwed to the chimney. The switch is resettable by pushing the button in the center however, should be replaced since it has been weakened and will possibly trip easier in the future.
P.S. If this switch is tripped, it shuts down ALL power, 110 volt AC and 12 volt necessary to operate the propane igniter and gas valve.

Let us know what you discover and good luck.
Hey that worked!!!! The switch was tripped. Water heater working also
Thanks-you saved me some repair money. Drinks/meals on me if we ever meet
I appreciate it. Now to enjoy the weekend!
Old 05-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Are you going to the sprint races Sat night?