Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2014, 10:11 AM   #21
Mod free 5er

I usually drain the water heater when we get home, bead blast the anode and hose out the bottom of the tank. A few weeks ago I made a hose wand out of copper tubing and worked it around and was really surprised at the amount of debris that came out after only 2 yrs of use and cleaning as I did/do. I would estimate at least a half cup of white chalky sediment.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:22 AM   #22

I bet I have about the same 1/2 after two years and no cleaning it out. Will do a little more to avoid build up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Absnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:23 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank-VA View Post
link isn't working.

Old 09-25-2014, 10:47 AM   #24

The sediment is coming from your anode in the water heater. I had the same problem with the toilet valve clogging and the faucet screens. Replace your anode and flush the water heater.
Paul S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:52 AM   #25
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S. View Post
The sediment is coming from your anode in the water heater. I had the same problem with the toilet valve clogging and the faucet screens. Replace your anode and flush the water heater.
Toilet valve should not get any sediment from the water heater or the anode due to the fact that the toilet uses cold water.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:00 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Toilet valve should not get any sediment from the water heater or the anode due to the fact that the toilet uses cold water.
However, the cold water lines feed in to the HW tank at the bottom. If (and that's a big if) the lines were somehow pulling from the tank that could explain the sediment from the tank flowing to the toilet along the cold lines. Normally this shouldn't be a concern as the water pump should be applying enough pressure on the lines to prevent that from happening. It would take a lot of pressure to force the sediment up to the hot water line, but a lack of pressure would easily allow sediment back into the cold lines.

If this were me I'd be looking at the plumbing between the pump and the tank and seeing if anything there could explain how the sediment is flowing back on the cold water side.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:01 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

Found out I had the bypass open along with the in and out valves on the water heater. It was allowing the sediment to travel through the whole system. Paul S. You might want to look at that also.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:39 PM   #28

this is what I used.
Water Heater Tank Rinser - Camco 11691 - Water Heaters - Camping World
2018 XLR Boost 27QRB
dustym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:51 PM   #29

Cool I think I will pick that up tomorrow. Thank you!!

Old 09-25-2014, 02:38 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
However, the cold water lines feed in to the HW tank at the bottom. If (and that's a big if) the lines were somehow pulling from the tank that could explain the sediment from the tank flowing to the toilet along the cold lines. Normally this shouldn't be a concern as the water pump should be applying enough pressure on the lines to prevent that from happening. It would take a lot of pressure to force the sediment up to the hot water line, but a lack of pressure would easily allow sediment back into the cold lines.

If this were me I'd be looking at the plumbing between the pump and the tank and seeing if anything there could explain how the sediment is flowing back on the cold water side.
What if your system is charged and then you disconnect it. Then you try to flush the toilet. With any pressure left in the system and 10 gallons of water in the heater I think the heater will back feed the cold side and push any sediment to the open valve. Does this make sense???
Paul S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:29 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S. View Post
What if your system is charged and then you disconnect it. Then you try to flush the toilet. With any pressure left in the system and 10 gallons of water in the heater I think the heater will back feed the cold side and push any sediment to the open valve. Does this make sense???
Certainly plausible. I don't think it would make it to the toilet in that flush, but it could put debris far enough down the cold line to get past a joint which could then travel down the cold line during subsequent flushes under pressure.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:35 PM   #32
Mod free 5er

I do think there is a check valve on the wh inlet to prevent this. Could be wrong, certainly have been in the past.

Tags
heater, water, water heater