Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2013, 11:09 PM   #1

Water Heater Temp

I have the typical Suburban 6 gallon water heater. It's electric or propane.

I see a control on the propane side to set the temperature. But I only have a switch to turn the electric heat on. Is there a way to set the temp when using the electric heater?

Thanks,

Bryan

2009 Suburban LT 1500 - 4x4 - 3.42
2009 Flagstaff 23FBS Super Lite
Nights Camped in 2015 - 21
Nights Camped in 2014 - 29
Nights Camped in 2013 - 31
beerjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:15 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerjay View Post
I have the typical Suburban 6 gallon water heater. It's electric or propane.

I see a control on the propane side to set the temperature. But I only have a switch to turn the electric heat on. Is there a way to set the temp when using the electric heater?

Thanks,

Bryan
You have a temp control for the gas side?
pics ?

And no there's no temp setting for electric.
Gas either that I'm aware of.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:12 PM   #3

You are correct Turbs, no control. Was thinking it was the same as a similar propane hot water heater I had in the old tent trailer, which had 3 settings.

Looks like there are no user confusable controls.

Thanks,

Bryan

Old 08-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
You are correct Turbs, no control. Was thinking it was the same as a similar propane hot water heater I had in the old tent trailer, which had 3 settings.

Looks like there are no user confusable controls.

Thanks,

Bryan
I'd say flip the switches and let her buck!

Turbs
Old 08-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
Owner/Operator

The only control that I'm aware of for the Suburban Water Heaters is that you can obtain the thermostat & ECO assembly in other temperatures.

The last time that I was in the parts business, they were available in 130 degree and 140 degree versions.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #6

Your electric heater will have a temp control:
Often times it is on the back or side of the heater (note it may be embedded under a cover) that cover could be made of plastic or cardboard. Some I have seen are covered with some tape holding the cardboard or plastic. Usually they are a about 1.5" wide by about 3" long and the thermostat is a block that has the wires connected on the front side along with the dial to change temp setting (most settings are factory set around 125-130 'F) I would not suggest going much if any higher than that. The back side is has the temp bulb on it and it must be in contact with the wall of the tank - if you are experencing cooler water temps and it is set at 125, then check your t-stat operation, you likely have a faulty t-stat or element.
If you water is too hot and it is set at 125 then your sensor may be loose and not making good contact with the side of tank - therefore it keeps trying to get the sensor up to 125 but cant if not making good contact.

On another note one of my previous campers had a remote temp sensor - the block that the wires are attached to was actually screwed to the wall of the trailer (under the countertop where the heater was located) but the sensor was on a wire to a well in the tank. But this would be a rare type of heater, may have been added from and after market kit - yours is most likely intregrated on the terminal block and stuck to the side of tank.

Once you uncover the controler:
it should look something like this:

Or this:

They are usually on the back side so you will have to go in a counter top pulling out drawers to addess or under a closet etc. It should be located may be under a plastic cover kinda like this:

And yes your gas control also had a themperature control also (othwise it would just stay on if it never know when to cycle gas off)
it may or may not be adjustible I have seen both.
But most likely it is something like this:
(note this one is adjustible - see metal lever to slide side to side)

Depending on brand Sometimes adjustible - sometimes not like this Attwood which has a fixed non-adjustible temp control:

Hope this helps.
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroRdr View Post
Your electric heater will have a temp control:
Often times it is on the back or side of the heater (note it may be embedded under a cover) that cover could be made of plastic or cardboard.
Awesome! Thanks for the info and operation tutorial!

I will have a look but not likely do any adjustment till I try it out a few more times. The original reason was to up the temp to permit a couple of showers.

Any idea what the temp recovery is with electric vs. propane heater? I suspect the propane would be faster.

Thanks,

Bryan

Old 08-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:

Awesome! Thanks for the info and operation tutorial!

I will have a look but not likely do any adjustment till I try it out a few more times. The original reason was to up the temp to permit a couple of showers.

Any idea what the temp recovery is with electric vs. propane heater? I suspect the propane would be faster.

Thanks,

Bryan
You can turn on both gas and electric at the same time for ultra quick recovery!

Turbs
Old 08-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
You can turn on both gas and electric at the same time for ultra quick recovery!

Turbs
Now that's thinking out of the box! Thanks!

Bryan

Old 08-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post

Turbs
That's what we do.
Wilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #11
Always Learning

In reading the manual on my Suburban water heater, it indicated that was not a temperature control. Maybe there is something that can be overridden like EnudroRdr shows.

But, what I do- I just opened one of my winterization valves a little to allow some cold water into the line after the water heater. It knocks back the instant scalding hot to scald you a little slower. It's a little temperamental with inconsistent hotness of the water, but not at all unbearable. I like that I can worry-less about the little hands in my family. AND that I can do dishes when the wife runs the water for doing them (she thinks only hot gets them cleaner, I guess; I happen to like my finger prints).

Tags
heater, water, water heater