Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
medney

Water Heater Will Not Stay Lit

I have a 2009 Salem 30QBSS with a propane only (manual light) water heater. When the thermostat cycles it to light, it blows out the pilot light 4 out of 5 times. Does anyone know of what adjustment I might need to make to the pilot, orifices, etc. to keep if from blowing out the pilot light when it lights? This is a real nuissance!
medney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:30 PM   #2

Pilot light? Are you sure???? On a 2009 rig??????? I haven't heard of water heaters, furnaces or refrigerators on modern RVs having pilot lights they are all DSI now (digital spark ignition) meaning there is no pilot light to light, the computer fires an ignitor to light the LPG and shuts down the gas when up to temperature or turned off.

We would need a lot more information I think to help, perhaps model of the appliance, some pictures, etc....
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:41 PM   #3

I thought all we DSI as well. However, a friend has a 2009 Coyote Hybrid and we were talking since I moved up from my Roo to an UltraLite and he said he still liked the hybrid for his family but his only complaint was that the water heater pilot would blow out if it got too windy and he would have to go out and re-light it. I was shocked that it was not DSI as I thought like you that every company had moved away from standard pilots. He hasn't found a solution to his blowing out, but at least his only happens when it is stormy/windy.
tomjsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:45 PM   #4

I think that is an on-going problem with those style water heaters. My first trailer had one and I was always having to go out to re-light the pilot when we camped in windy conditions. I too am surprised that any of those are still being put in new units.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjsas View Post
I thought all we DSI as well. However, a friend has a 2009 Coyote Hybrid and we were talking since I moved up from my Roo to an UltraLite and he said he still liked the hybrid for his family but his only complaint was that the water heater pilot would blow out if it got too windy and he would have to go out and re-light it. I was shocked that it was not DSI as I thought like you that every company had moved away from standard pilots. He hasn't found a solution to his blowing out, but at least his only happens when it is stormy/windy.
If anything I would think that only the little popups and really small rigs might still use pilots but not a modern 30' trailer. I even have friends with campers that have DSI apliances.

Again, we would need some specifics if not pictures of the heater you have.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:10 PM   #6

Are you physically opening the cover to the water heater and lighting it, or using a switch inside the trailer? If you are using a switch inside the trailer, you have a DSI water heater. Check your water heater and see if there is a toggle switch on it somewhere. It will be on the water heater itself, not inside the trailer. That would be your switch to turn on the electric side.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:18 PM   #7

medney,

I ran across this a while back.

Below is a list of the possible causes of your failure. Without a manometer you wont be able to check or set the gas pressure. If you have a multi-meter you can check the output of the thermocouple. It should be around 25 milivolts. If its below 15 I would change it.

PILOT OUTAGE

CAUSE
Gas Pressure incorrect

SOLUTION
Set inlet pressure to a minimum of 11” W.C. with two or more appliances running

CAUSE
Blocked “U” tube

SOLUTION
Remove obstruction

CAUSE
Improper air adjustment

SOLUTION
Re-align main burner air shutter approximately ¼ open or greater

CAUSE
Weak thermocouple

SOLUTION
Replace thermocouple

CAUSE
Poor pilot flame

SOLUTION
Clean or replace pilot orifice

CAUSE
Weak gas control magnet

SOLUTION
Replace gas control

CAUSE
Defective E.C.O. in control

SOLUTION
Replace gas control and check the flame, it should be high enough to engulf the thermocouple at all times.

The pilot flame should be just large enough to cover the tip of the thermocouple. If it's too large it often gets put out by the main burner coming on or going off.

I hope this helps,
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:38 AM   #8

If you live in the south, be sure to check for wasps/dirt dauber nests in there; those little buggers will stop the gas flow to anything, if they can get to it! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 04:19 PM   #9
medney

Thanks for all the responses. It is definitely not a DSI heater. My previous 3 campers were though. I don't know why they put a manual light in this new a model. I will try Mike's suggestions and maybe consider replacing the water heater with a DSI if all else fails. I like everything about this camper but the water heater.
medney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 02:02 PM   #10

And they are STILL using them

I read through this thread with an eye on the dates. My 2014 Wolf Pup has a "pilot light" water heater. It blows out in even minor breezes, even on full flame (heating). I have been through my propane system to resolve other problems. I can block the vent with a folding chair (close enough to block wind without starting a fire) and it does just fine. I could modify the door with additional wind guarding. I noticed the manual mentions altitude adjustments. Essentially, I am instructed to take my trailer in and have the dealer make the changes needed. What happens if I live at 5500 feet, and camp anywhere from 0 to 8500 feet? Has anyone ever changed the burner section to the Electronic Ignition type? The dealer says it isn't possible. It seems like it would be easy given the right parts.
Wandering Jarhead is offline   Reply With Quote