Old 11-15-2010, 06:15 PM   #1

Water Heater will not work on 110AC

I just purchased a 2004 Sunseeker 3100 and took it for a 2 day trial camping trip. It will heat water fine with LP but not electricity and the switch is in the on position. Any ideas on what to check next?

Old 11-15-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
The Old Man

Circuit breaker? Burned out element?

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:31 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Souls View Post
I just purchased a 2004 Sunseeker 3100 and took it for a 2 day trial camping trip. It will heat water fine with LP but not electricity and the switch is in the on position. Any ideas on what to check next?
Couple things right off the bat.

Which switch are you talking about?
There is one switch "inside" the camper with a red indicator light.
THAT switch is the propane-12volt DC heating system for the water heater. Turn it on and the red light comes on and propane is used by the 12 volt DC circuits to heat the water.

OUTSIDE the camper under the cover of the hot water heater is a small black rocker switch (that can have a "hairpin" safety pin through it) that powers the hot water heater with 120 Volts AC. It can be hard to find as it can be located behind pipes and wires. Mine is in the lower left hand corner.

These systems are independent and can be used separately or both at the same time.

If that rocker switch is "on" AND THERE IS WATER in the tank; it should work fine on AC even with the lighted switch inside the camper "off".

If it still won't heat on AC, check for AC power at the wall plug used by the hot water heater. If there is power there and the switch is on, it is possible the AC heating element has been burned out. If the rocker switch is "on" and the water has been drained out (like during winterizing) ANY shore power will burn out the element in very short order. Good news here is they are relatively cheap. Bad news is they can be a beeeach to change.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:32 PM   #4

WH

Thanks Guys, I just found the panel with the breakers and fuses built into the side of the bed platform and the WH breaker was off and I have plenty of hot water now. I was all through the cabinets looking for the breaker box.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:44 PM   #5

Remember to turn off the breaker when or should I say before You drain the water tank or disconect the shore water.It will burn the elect element as fast as You can count to 5 if dry...LOl...and a bear to change if You have not got the tool most trailer repairs have the tool lol I made My own Bush
Old 11-17-2010, 02:47 PM   #6
Site Team

FYI you can buy the heater tool fairly cheap at Home Debit and
Lowes.