Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2018, 06:56 PM   #1

Water heater won’t stay lit

Have a 2004 FR Cherokee, water heater model SW6DE. The gas burner lights but keeps clicking for about 5 seconds then goes out. That happens 3 times then it stops till I flip the switch again. Then the process repeats itself. Trying to figure out if this could be an issue with a specific part I can replace or if I may need to replace the whole water heater. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help.
KentuckyBanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:03 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentuckyBanker View Post
Have a 2004 FR Cherokee, water heater model SW6DE. The gas burner lights but keeps clicking for about 5 seconds then goes out. That happens 3 times then it stops till I flip the switch again. Then the process repeats itself. Trying to figure out if this could be an issue with a specific part I can replace or if I may need to replace the whole water heater. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help.

Are you saying after the propane lights, the direct spark ignitor/DSI keeps making sparks (this is the clicking sound you are hearing)...or are you just hearing the DSI making the sparks, but the propane never ignites really?

There can be several causes (flame sensor, module board, dsi), but we need detailed information to troubleshoot.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:58 AM   #3

The burner lights

The ignition starts clicking, the gas burner lights and I can see the flames going while there is still clicking going on. When the clicking stops, the flame from the burner stops as well. It waits a couple seconds, the clicking starts, the burner lights up, there are flames while it clicks and when the clicking stops the burner goes out. That all repeats one more time.

So, it seems to be lighting fine. It just does not stay lit. Thanks for your response!
KentuckyBanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:19 AM   #4

We had this problem and it was the module board.
lacrawgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:45 AM   #5
Just as confused as you

The flame sensor may not be detecting the lit burner. My SW6DE lights up on the first try and the clicking of the DSI stops then the DSI Fault lite goes out. It may be the igniter/flame sensor is out of adjustment or a problem with your control board. There is a service manual in the Library section on this forum. Forest River Forums - Downloads - WH_Service and Training Manual 05-18-11.pdf
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrawgator View Post
We had this problem and it was the module board.

Forest River - Rockwood
2018 Ultra Lite 2040WS 5th wh
2020 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel Curt Hitch - 392 rear end
sasch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:41 PM   #7

Had the same issue, mine was a bad board as well.

No camper, currently
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishdon View Post
Had the same issue, mine was a bad board as well.
x4....Just went thru this with my Georgetown. Bought a Dinosaur Board.

Jaye (Mn)
Old 08-20-2018, 09:35 PM   #9

Mine does this at the start of every outing. It will eventually settle down and work normally. In my case, I think the propane line is empty when I first turn on the propane bottle. It takes a little while for the line to purge itself of air. Same thing with the stove.
tosh99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:11 PM   #10

I'm having the same issue which started 2 months ago. I thought I fixed it by cleaning the electrode with some fine sandpaper, regapping it, and ensuring that there was no rust flakes, crud such as cobwebs in the venturi pipe. It worked for a bit then started the hard start again.

What is weird is that I can use a lighter to start the flame and the hot water heater works fine for a while until the next morning when I need hot water. My control board is good I think because I can hear and see the spark at night. I'm thinking that the high altitude may be an issue but I've never had this problem before until now.

If you figure out your problem, please let us know. Thank you.
Ilovemywife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:48 AM   #11

First try cleaning the flame sensor,,, and make sure it is inline with the flame !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
First try cleaning the flame sensor,,, and make sure it is inline with the flame !!!
and before you reinstall it, wire brush the bracket on the flame sensor and the stud, nut and burner tube it mounts on. You need a good ground connection here. If you did all that and it still gives you problems it's probably dinosaur board time
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:49 AM   #13

Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
and before you reinstall it, wire brush the bracket on the flame sensor and the stud, nut and burner tube it mounts on. You need a good ground connection here. If you did all that and it still gives you problems it's probably dinosaur board time
After you have tried the above...and Before you by the 'board' ....

Check the gas line . "Gas Off of course" You will see the gas line has a brass fitting on the end with a 'very small' hole in the tip.
Take the fitting off and check it for any debris and also vacuum out the pipe.

The hole in the end fitting is so small that the tiniest speck will clog or impede the gas flow....
Sometimes allowing just enough gas to flow for lighting then goes out.

Yours may be a different type of end fitting... but most have the 'small pin-hole' where the gas comes out pointing into the burner tube.

This is what worked for me with the same indications you talked about.

PS When I took the tube off and tapped it on a piece of paper towel all sorts of scale debris and fine particles fell out.

Good luck
Islander
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:53 AM   #14

Not sure if I still have them,,, but I used have a Orfus drill set ???
Old 08-21-2018, 10:26 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Not sure if I still have them,,, but I used have a Orfus drill set ???
I don't think I would ever go that route or recommend anyone to do that. If anything blow it out with compressed air from the opposite direction. If you are just bound and determined to stuff something in that orifice to verify clarity, how about a piece of monofilament fishing line? Don't damage a jet
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff64 View Post
I don't think I would ever go that route or recommend anyone to do that. If anything blow it out with compressed air from the opposite direction. If you are just bound and determined to stuff something in that orifice to verify clarity, how about a piece of monofilament fishing line? Don't damage a jet
Good Luck with the fishing line !!!
Old 08-28-2018, 06:49 PM   #17

Water heater won’t stay lit

I have a 2011 Forest River 5th wheel with a Suburban SW6DE water heater. Previous owner said it wouldn’t stay lit off and on, same for me constantly trying to light . I put in a new dinosaur board and still the same. The FIX is to pull the spark electrode off of the gas tube, then take two pair of pliers and bend the ends of the electrode inward toward the tube mouth maybe and 1/8 of an inch! Has worked every day since. Be sure and bend both ends equally!
Dancole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water, water heater