Old 05-17-2010, 11:05 PM   #11

Hope you dont mind but I'm gunna jump in on your thread...you said you noticed the red light was on? I was under the impression the light should be on, no? this past trip I turned on the hot water switch inside the trailer but didnt really get any hot water so I went outside, pushed the reset buttons behind the rubber, pulled the cotter pin and switched the electric switch to on....water was kind of hot but leaned more toward the warm side. Question is, should the red light be on or off, do I need both the inside and outside switch to be on?

Equalizer Hitch
OSCBRADLEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:11 PM   #12

Red light should be off. It will come on while lighting but when the heater is lit, the light will go off. If it stays on,the water heater is not lit.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:10 AM   #13

I agree.
My Suburban heater has a 3 try lighting board. It will try to light 3 times, and if it doesn't light it goes into lockout, and the light comes on. You can turn the switch off and wait 5 seconds and turn it back on, and it will try again.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:51 AM   #14

Thanks, makes sense
Equalizer Hitch
OSCBRADLEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #15

Well, I replaced the Board, and it still won't light.
I think I need to replace the fuel valve. When it try's to light, I have voltage going to the valve, but it seems that I don't have any gas.
It seems that the thermostat and high limit switch work, because I tried to bypass them with a wire, and it didn't matter. So the only thing left is the fuel valve.

Kev
Old 06-01-2010, 12:56 PM   #16

Just went camping over Memorial day and I had kind of the same issue. I checked it when I was at home (and plugged into shore power) and the water heater would fire off perfectly everytime.

When we were dry camping, I would get the electronic ignition ticking about five times and then it would quit. I solved the problem temporarily by turning on the water heater inside the camper, running outside and holding a lighter behind the ignition area (it would fire right up when doing that).

I believe that my problem is that I'm having issues with my batteries (low charge--they were consistently at 1/3 power all the time. I would charge them with my generator for about an hour a day but they don't hold a charge well.) I think that would explain why it works when I'm plugged into shore power but doesn't work when dry camping.

You may want to double-check your battery power as Shawomet3 suggested in a post above.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #17

My battery is fine, and my converter is new, and works great.
When the heater try's to light I have voltage at the valve, but no gas. It varies from 12 to 14 volts. It is hard to read because it bounces all over.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:02 PM   #18

Update, I replaced the fuel valve, and it works great.
So all said and done I spent $160 to fix, plus I have a spare board.
Not too bad.
Kev