Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2016, 09:32 PM   #1

Water heater won't light on gas...

The water heater is working just fine and gets very hot on electric, which is fine since that is what we use the most.

However, when I try to power it on gas it does a quick light and then blows out. It also will leave a small flame visible as the excess gas burns off. After a minute or so it does it's little clicking sound and ignites once again only to once again blow out and will keep repeating the process as long as I care to stand there and watch.

I have run a small wire through the gas hole to see if there was any obstruction. But it did not help.

My frig does ignite on gas and keeps running. It is however on the opposite side of the 5th wheel.

Maybe I will try lighting the cook top and see if I need to bleed LP through the lines past the water heater to see if this will help.

Other than that, does anyone have any ideas I can try?

Thanks
Jon

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
American Eagle 40', Bounder 38' tag axle
jonrjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:59 AM   #2

OK Update, I lit one of the burners on the cooktop but it would only burn a very small flame. If I tried to light a second burner the first would go out and the second would not fire off. It was this way on any combination of burners I attempted to lite.

Off to the LP tank compartments, both tanks open however pressure regulator showing out of gas. Check both tanks which are full. So I ordered a new regulator and we will see if that doesn't take care of the problem.

Wish me luck!!!!

Past RVs: National Pacifica 40', Kenworth T300 Toterhome, Jayco Class C 32'. American Eagle 40',
Old 08-30-2016, 08:03 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
Wish me luck!!!!
Good luck, and please let us know if it solves the problem.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:00 PM   #4

My Amazon ordered gas regulator failed to show as of today. It did however show to have shipped today....so much for 2 day delivery.

So off to the local RV dealership to pick one up, a few more dollars spent, but I have one in hand now.

Not a difficult installation if you don't count the high temp and humidity of the late afternoon.

Once the new regulator was installed I checked all the gas lines with soapy water to make sure there were no leaks and all was good to go.

Went in the RV and turned on one burner of the stove top and had a nice high flame, turned on the second and the same then on to the third burner and all three burners were nice high strong flames without any flame flutter.

Next I tried the gas water heater and it ignited on the first attempt and continued to burn and heat until I turned it off.

So now all is good......for the time being or up until it no longer is.....LOL. Gotta keep your sense of humor with working on one of these things. If not you will find yourself taking it in for service and paying the man, and my sense of humor won't allow that to happen very often.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:03 PM   #5
Site Team

Thank you very much for coming back and letting us know that replacing the regulator fixed the issue.

Bummer about the other one, but at least you'll have a backup when the installed one quits.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:25 PM   #6

Great Fix, don't forget about having regulator psi checked.
FYI: spiders like building webs in the venturi tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
mfMcFroggierPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:34 PM   #7

Congrats on the repair. As I was reading this I was also thinking spiders.
TST 507 TPMS
2017 = 30 nights /
2018 = 7 nights
woodyrock1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:47 PM   #8
Site Team

I had some propane debugging to do for myself the other day. I turned off both bottles and used my gauge to determine if I had enough propane for a trip. After I reconnected everything, I had no gas flow. Long story short: I determined that the check valve which connected the long propane line from the off-side tank to the regulator had failed - no gas passing through it. I replaced that and all was well. I learned about that check valve on this forum!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, heater, light, water, water heater